HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Why Finland's Unorthodox ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 12:36 PM

Why Finland's Unorthodox Education System Is The Best In The World

A new global league table, produced by the Economist Intelligence Unit for Pearson, has found Finland to be the best education system in the world.

The rankings combined international test results and data such as graduation rates between 2006 and 2010, the BBC reports.

For Finland, this is no fluke. Since it implemented huge education reforms 40 years ago, the country's school system has consistently come at the top for the international rankings for education systems.

Teachers are selected from the top 10% of graduates.

In 2010, 6,600 applicants vied for 660 primary school training slots

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/finlands-education-system-best-in-world-2012-11?op=1

9 replies, 1260 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply Why Finland's Unorthodox Education System Is The Best In The World (Original post)
FarCenter Nov 2012 OP
Southerner Nov 2012 #1
xchrom Nov 2012 #2
BlueMan Votes Nov 2012 #3
liberal_at_heart Nov 2012 #8
leveymg Nov 2012 #4
Magoo48 Nov 2012 #5
sofcontraining258 Nov 2012 #6
liberal_at_heart Nov 2012 #7
Starry Messenger Nov 2012 #9

Response to FarCenter (Original post)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 12:45 PM

1. I have always said the culture and work ethic of a people matter more than their...

...form of government when it comes to results. I'm not sure the model would work in the U.S..

We would have to greatly reduce the number of teachers, greatly raise the salary of those who are selected to be teachers, eliminate most of the state and federal machine for standardized testing, and fund education completely at the federal level.

Hard sell.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 12:52 PM

2. Du rec. Nt

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 12:54 PM

3. no system will work well if parents aren't actively involved in their children's education.

a lot of parents seem to view school as little more than daycare.

Reply to this post

Response to BlueMan Votes (Reply #3)

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 02:38 AM

8. Educated parents tend to be more involved

Uneducated parents don't know how to help their kids. Uneducated parents are also more likely to be working two jobs, lack parenting skills, and may have unstable spousal relationships as well. To get more parents involved, we have to open up more community centers to help parents learn how to help their children succeed.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 01:03 PM

4. There are school districts in the US that return excellent results, including for ESL students.

In Northern Virginia counties, facilities, teaching staff, morale, extracurricular, and test scores are all uniformly excellent. It's been that way for decades because it's simply traditional and expected, and resources are adequate to the task.

There's a very high percentage of recent immigrant arrivals. Within a year or two, these kids are performing with their cohorts, despite the fact that the parents can't speak, read or write English.

The same approaches could be implemented in the rest of the U.S., but as a society, we would have to allocate resources differently.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 01:56 PM

5. Well,

much could be accomplished here if the MIC wasn't sucking the life blood out of our nation and the Fundies were rightfully ignored.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 02:32 AM

7. why aren't democrats advocating more for this model?

We need to fight for this just as hard as we are fighting for Social Security, Medicare, and tax increases. Obama says education will be his top priority but he has already sided with the privatized charter schools on this one. How do we get this kind of model into the national conversation? We have to put just as much pressure on him about education as we do about Social Security and Medicare. I may actually get a chance to send my kid to a private school next year and if I do get that chance I'm taking it because our public school system has failed my son.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 02:50 AM

9. Finland's teachers are also over 95% unionized

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread