HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » McConnell Genuflects To M...

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 12:06 PM

McConnell Genuflects To Majority Leader Reid On Filibuster Reform

In an effort to avoid a unilateral Democratic to change the Senate's filibuster rules in January, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell offered to negotiate a consensus package of rules change with Majority Leader Harry Reid

"I think it's appropriate, that we talk about rule changes together, but that's not what he's suggesting he's going to do here," McConnell said on the Senate floor Tuesday. "That is not a negotiation with the minority overr ules changes. What we ought to be doing is talking to each other about what adjustments in the rules we could advocate together. And not one party with a majority today that might be in a minority two years from now changing the rules, break the rules to change the rules for some kind of misguided, short-term advantage. That's the problem. So I would be happy to talk to the majority leader about these issues."

Reid somewhat skeptically accepted the offer.

"The facts are the facts. We can't make them up. The Senate is not working, and we need to do something to fix it. I close then as I began. I would be happy to work with leader McConnell about rules changes. I've made clear what we seek. I await his suggestions.... If the Republican leader has some ideas as to what he thinks should be done, I will come to his office, we could do it privately or publicly. I'm happy to work with him."

read: http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/mcconnell-extends-olive-branch-to-reid-to-avoid

5 replies, 727 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply McConnell Genuflects To Majority Leader Reid On Filibuster Reform (Original post)
bigtree Nov 2012 OP
LineNew Reply .
bigtree Nov 2012 #1
Sheldon Cooper Nov 2012 #2
bigtree Nov 2012 #3
OldDem2012 Nov 2012 #4
Sheldon Cooper Nov 2012 #5

Response to bigtree (Original post)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 12:34 PM

1. .

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to bigtree (Original post)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 01:23 PM

2. There may be genuflecting going on, but I think it's the other way around.

Reid is not only agreeing to meet with McConnell, he's offering to go to his office, and he says he's "happy to work with him". Seems pretty clear to me who's doing the kneeling.

Reply to this post

Response to Sheldon Cooper (Reply #2)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 01:28 PM

3. that's just completely false. Reid has the obvious upper hand on this

The proposals that Democrats are raising will put the republican party at a significant disadvantage in their secret holds and their effortless and leveraged obstruction.

McConnell is looking for concessions he likely won't get. That's reflected right there in Reid's statement. It makes no sense at all to spin that as some cave.

Reply to this post

Response to Sheldon Cooper (Reply #2)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 01:30 PM

4. Seems pretty clear to me who is trying to be the bigger person....

It's pretty easy to see that Reid is calling McConnell's bluff and knows he doesn't have to agree to do anything McConnell wants.

Reid is a lot smarter and tougher than you obviously think.

Reply to this post

Response to OldDem2012 (Reply #4)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 02:09 PM

5. Meh. I've heard all this before.

How many years has Reid held the Majority? Same old same old, isn't it? Get back to me when there are real changes, and then we'll see who's calling a bluff.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread