HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Savita Had a Heartbeat, T...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 12:02 PM

Savita Had a Heartbeat, Too (re: the woman who died after being denied an abortion)

Savita Had a Heartbeat, Too
by Shivana Jorawar, National Asian Pacific American Women's Forum

November 27, 2012

For days now, Iíve been putting myself in Savita Halappanavarís shoes. Iím expecting. Seventeen weeks in, piercing pain sends me to the hospital. For three days, Iím miscarrying. Thereís no hope for my child and my own health is fading. For three days, Iím in physical agony and doctors refuse my pleas to terminate the pregnancy to save my life. The child wonít survive, but there is a "heartbeat" and doctors fear terminating will violate my countryís laws. The unthinkable happens.

The tragedy that ended Savitaís life put a human face on the abortion issue. People are demonstrating in droves and even the Indian government is pressuring Ireland to change its laws. One demonstrator held a placard reading, ďSavita had a heartbeat, too.Ē

For many of us, the disregard for womenís human rights in the name of religion just became personal. When I see Savitaís face, I canít help thinking that she looks like me and, like me, was educated and could afford health careóbut she still suffered this indefensible fate. Everyone knew the child could not survive, but that Savita could with proper care.

What does it say about a society when it leaves a woman to die in the name of ďlife?Ē

The rest: http://www.rhrealitycheck.org/article/2012/11/27/she-had-heartbeat-too%E2%80%94remembering-savita-halappanavar

10 replies, 981 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Savita Had a Heartbeat, Too (re: the woman who died after being denied an abortion) (Original post)
WilliamPitt Nov 2012 OP
GiaGiovanni Nov 2012 #1
GoneOffShore Nov 2012 #2
pansypoo53219 Nov 2012 #3
PATXgirl Nov 2012 #4
Warren DeMontague Nov 2012 #5
mysuzuki2 Nov 2012 #6
BadgerKid Nov 2012 #7
mainer Nov 2012 #8
ismnotwasm Nov 2012 #9
rizlaplus Jan 2013 #10

Response to WilliamPitt (Original post)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 01:01 PM

1. Bump

@

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 01:01 PM

2. Kick

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 01:03 PM

3. the incubator heartbeat maters less.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 01:15 PM

4. This hit home for me recently. Someone close to me was facing an unwanted pregnancy

And the doctors felt it wasn't a viable pregnancy because of several issues. She had severe cramping in both her back and abdomen. They were worried that it was either ectopic or cervical pregnancy since it didn't show up on ultrasound.

However, because the growth hormone levels were still increasing, the doctor would not perform a DNC. He said that would be tantamount to an abortion and every year he has to sign an affadavit for Medicaid that he doesnt perform abortions.

And because the pregnancy did not show up on an ultrasound, the abortion clinic wouldn't perform an abortion.

So for several days, this woman had to wait, in pain and filled with anxiety, running up a hospital bill she can't afford and missing work The laws are just stupid.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 01:19 PM

5. This story is infuriating.

Really puts the whole choice "debate" into perspective.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 01:37 PM

6. As far as I'm concerned she was murdered by the Catholic church.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 03:05 PM

7. Sooooo...

IMO this reads as "heartbeat" supercedes triage and common sense. Guess it's one point in favor of adopting.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 03:18 PM

8. I can't stop thinking about this poor woman.

It makes me cry.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 03:22 PM

9. K&R

What poignant words "Savita had a Heartbeat, too"

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 04:55 PM

10. Savita's husband Praveen always maintained that she requested a termination of pregnancy

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread