HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » "I remember my paren...

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 02:46 AM

"I remember my parents' stories about the Stasi, how much information they had on everyone..."

"But facebook is now holding much more informations than the communists ever had and all of it is saved within the US, a country with no sufficient privacy laws!"

http://www.europe-v-facebook.org/EN/Data_Pool/data_pool.html#LastLocation

Schrems, who has been on Facebook since 2008, had a file that was over 1,200 pages long, including everyone he had ever friended and de-friended, every event he had ever been invited to (and how he responded), a history of every “poke” he had ever received, a record of who else signed onto Facebook on the same computers as him, email addresses that he hadn’t provided for himself (but that must have been culled from his friends’ contact lists) and all of his past messages and chats, including some with the notation “deleted.”

Schrems redacted personal information from the lengthy files and then posted them online at Europe v. Facebook where they captured the attention of media, privacy advocates, politicians and regulators. When Reddit got wind of it, its users flooded Facebook with requests for their own files — though Facebook only sends these to European users. Schrems filed a series of complaints with the Irish Data Protection Agency, accusing Facebook of retaining data users had tried to delete and also saying that his file wasn’t long enough. Facebook refused to turn over some information — such as Schrem’s biometic faceprint — saying it was a trade secret. Even though the claim that the technology the company’s applied to personal information is proprietary seems reasonable, many lambasted Facebook for suggesting that users’ data was Facebook’s intellectual property.

“I still wonder why Facebook sent the file to me. Why would you send that evidence to your opponent?” Schrems compares it to the files that the Stasi compiled on citizens in East Germany. “The most prominent politicians had a thousand pages in their files,” says Schrems. “I’m just a normal guy who’s been on Facebook for three years. Imagine this in 10 years: every demonstration I’ve been to, my political thoughts, intimate conversations, discussion of illnesses.”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2012/02/07/the-austrian-thorn-in-facebooks-side/

Europeans can get a copy of the information FB has stored on them -- but americans can't.

land o' the free

13 replies, 1487 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 13 replies Author Time Post
Reply "I remember my parents' stories about the Stasi, how much information they had on everyone..." (Original post)
HiPointDem Nov 2012 OP
MissHoneychurch Nov 2012 #1
spinbaby Nov 2012 #2
WinkyDink Nov 2012 #3
MissHoneychurch Nov 2012 #4
brooklynite Nov 2012 #5
HiPointDem Nov 2012 #7
woo me with science Nov 2012 #6
OldDem2012 Nov 2012 #8
HiPointDem Nov 2012 #11
Comrade_McKenzie Nov 2012 #9
woo me with science Nov 2012 #10
woo me with science Nov 2012 #12
devilgrrl Nov 2012 #13

Response to HiPointDem (Original post)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 07:12 AM

1. I am on FB

but try not to post too personal things about myself. Still, with the "likes" they know a lot about me. It is a scary thought what they are saving. The reason I am on FB is to stay in contact with American friends (I am German) who left DU. And with some other German friends as well of course.

Even with all the info out about FB it is amazing how many people still are not grasping the danger of their postings. In Germany there is news every now and then about FB parties that got out of hand because someone didn't know how to keep an invitation private.

I think there ought to be classes about social networks.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to MissHoneychurch (Reply #1)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 07:17 AM

2. Never put anything on facebook you wouldn't want in the newspaper

I'm frequently shocked at some of the stuff people post.

Reply to this post

Response to MissHoneychurch (Reply #1)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 07:22 AM

3. Can you control the postings on FB by everyone you communicate with? NO.

Reply to this post

Response to WinkyDink (Reply #3)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 07:25 AM

4. No, I can't

but I can decide who I am friends with. For a while I played games on FB and added people I didn't know for that. Earlier this year I decided to quit and deleted all my game "friends". Is it saved on the FB servers? For sure. But now I am only friends with people from DU or with people I know personally. I still am cautious about what I post.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 07:30 AM

5. I think you should demand back everything you've paid them...

Oh, right.

Reply to this post

Response to brooklynite (Reply #5)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 01:46 PM

7. yeah, it's people's 'choice,' how dare they complain. sounds familiar.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 09:25 AM

6. K&R

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 01:50 PM

8. I wonder if Schrems really got all of his personal information from Facebook. nt.

Reply to this post

Response to OldDem2012 (Reply #8)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 09:06 PM

11. you mean there's more than 500 pages a year?

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 01:58 PM

9. God forbid someone uses my taste in music against me...

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 03:27 PM

10. Kick

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 10:03 PM

12. Kick

Reply to this post