HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » If I'm Allowed... I'd Lik...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 07:35 PM

If I'm Allowed... I'd Like To Repost This... From Fri Jan 6, 2012, 06:26 PM... Pre-Election...

Ok.. Hold Onto Your Hats... I'm Going Positive... With Much Love To DU !!!

Many moons ago, three dudes named Skinner, Elad, and EarlG, started this weird website that would eventually become... muscular. Out of a sense of hopelessness over the travesty of the 2000 Presidential Elections, they started a journey. That journey led to millions of views and posts, and is why you are looking at these pixels right now.

Now I wasn't there at the very beginning, and I would love to know what the view/post count was after the first week. But after being laid-off after 9/11, and with plenty of time on my hands, I found DU through a website recommendation article through a local newspaper about this new fangled WorldWideWeb. When I found DU, it had been going for several months by then, and I recognized it as my home.

Backing up... you of tender years need to recognize that when a lot of us grew up: A.) TV was Black & White, B.) There were only 3 Channels: ABC, CBS, & NBC. And C.) THAT WAS IT!

And although the argument can and should be made that those entities were far more independent, investigative, and broke/covered stories that the MSM might never cover now... a funny thing happened. At the same time that the "Inventor of the Internet" ( ) was getting screwed out of his rightful election to the presidency... the internet started bypassing the MSM.

Now this took some time to occur, and some think that the Y2K "threat" might have helped to accelerate this... Windows 3.11/95/and just barely 98 being the predominate OS's at the time... But whatever happened... things have progressed.

In the last 10 years or so, we now have Facebook, Twitter, I-Phones, "Social Media", et. al.

We The People are bypassing the MSM on a daily basis... at high-speed.

But I, here tonight, want to thank some of the pioneers of this reality... and snark at some if you must, but remember... while every pioneer wasn't necessarily sucessful, they ALL led the way.

So I'd personally like to thank DU, once I found DU, for BEING DU, and for pointing me towards things/people with names like Randi Rhodes, Mike Malloy, Crooks & Liars, Digby, DailyKos, Air America, Al Franken, Rachel Maddow, Sam Seder, Cenk Uygur, Anna Kasparian, Ed Schultz, FireDogLake, ThinkProgress, Truthout, RawStory, BradBlog, TPM, and I'm gonna feel like a real shit when I post this because I sure I've left people out... NOT my intent.

Point being... whether it's FDR, or Barack Obama... we WILL hold your feet to the fire, and we will plead our case, state our feelings, shed our tears, and hold each other close... even mourn the passing of those who we cannot know... if they got to see the end of the play... although I'm pretty sure NONE of us get to see the end of the play... "We Are Merely Players"...

But... on this first Friday of the New Year... I would like to thank ALL of the afore mentioned, those that my aging brain forgot to mention, and all of the DU family here. Like any wonderful family... we may fight some days... but it is with much love... and hope for the future of everyone.

And... P.S... Huffington Post Tries... But with all of OUR eyes... DU is the best information clearinghouse on the Net. By far, So there...

12 replies, 1287 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply If I'm Allowed... I'd Like To Repost This... From Fri Jan 6, 2012, 06:26 PM... Pre-Election... (Original post)
WillyT Nov 2012 OP
Aristus Nov 2012 #1
WillyT Nov 2012 #3
ms liberty Nov 2012 #2
WillyT Nov 2012 #5
tnlurker Nov 2012 #4
Auntie Bush Nov 2012 #6
WillyT Nov 2012 #7
ReRe Nov 2012 #8
WillyT Nov 2012 #9
ReRe Nov 2012 #10
byronius Nov 2012 #11
WillyT Nov 2012 #12

Response to WillyT (Original post)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 07:39 PM

1. Well said, Willy.

This site has given me a lot of hope, and helped me make many friends, without whom, my life would be much different, and probably not as rich.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Aristus (Reply #1)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 08:27 PM

3. Thank You...

It's all about the hope.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 07:42 PM

2. I concur. k&r...n/t

Reply to this post

Response to ms liberty (Reply #2)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 09:01 PM

5. Thank You For That !!!

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 08:56 PM

4. I agree

DU is my number one website for news. I rarely watch news on TV any more with the exception of Rachel Maddow.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 09:18 PM

6. Just off the top of my head...without thinking...you forgot Lawrence O'Donnell. nt

Reply to this post

Response to Auntie Bush (Reply #6)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 12:33 AM

7. Like I Said Back Then...

"... and I'm gonna feel like a real shit when I post this because I sure I've left people out... NOT my intent."

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 01:23 AM

8. K&R

Where would we be without DU? And without all those online lib radio sites you mentioned? I live in a Red state and you find nothing liberal-leaning on the regular radio, even in our largest cities. I had the misfortune of living in the deep south for a few years too, before the internet was fully launched. To get any REAL news, I had to listen to a short-wave radio and regularly listened to Radio for Peace, International (may have gotten the name slightly wrong) on a station from Costa Rica. And yes, I do remember the days of 3 TV channels, and rotary dial telephones.

Even though I only recently signed up and started posting, I too found DU back after the SC gave GW the election in 2000. I laughed and cried, blew up and felt peace, right along with everyone, though you couldn't hear me. It was so wonderful to finally hear the voices of people who shared my own beliefs.

Thanks for reposting this from January. I was seriously ill for a few months about that time and didn't even think about getting online, so this post from the past is a first read for me.

Reply to this post

Response to ReRe (Reply #8)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 01:39 AM

9. (((((((ReRe)))))))

Welcome...

Reply to this post

Response to WillyT (Reply #9)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 03:22 AM

10. Right back at you!

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 05:44 PM

11. Same here, this is home.

Led me to Randi Rhodes, and every other lefty site and speaker. All started here, with these scruffy kids:

My favorite picture.

Reply to this post

Response to byronius (Reply #11)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 08:04 PM

12. And...It Empowered Us !!!

All of us... ALL of us... Changed the course of the river.

And... we won. Again.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread