HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Washington Post Calls on ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 03:59 PM

Washington Post Calls on Obama to Leave Colorado and Washington Marijuana Laws Alone

Marijuana’s foot in the door
By Editorial Board, Published: November 25

But it’s unrealistic and unwise to expect federal officials to pick up the slack left by state law- enforcement officers who used to enforce marijuana prohibitions against pot users and small-time growers. Unrealistic, because it would require lots more resources. Unwise, because filling prisons with users, each given a criminal stain on his or her record, has long been irrational. For the latter reason, we favor decriminalizing possession of small amounts of pot, assessing civil fines instead of locking people up. Also, for that reason and others, the Justice Department should hold its fire on a lawsuit challenging Colorado and Washington’s decision to behave more leniently. And state officials involved in good-faith efforts to regulate marijuana production and distribution according to state laws should be explicitly excused from federal targeting.

For now, the federal government does not need to stage an aggressive intervention, one way or the other. It can wait, watch and enforce the most worrisome violations as they occur.

MORE:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/marijuanas-foot-in-the-door/2012/11/25/a1746d46-3347-11e2-bb9b-288a310849ee_story.html?tid=sm_btn_reddit

8 replies, 730 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to kpete (Original post)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 04:17 PM

1. I would like to see some national public opinion polls on marijuana

I wonder if the majority of Americans would favor legalization?

It would be a start.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to LeftInTX (Reply #1)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 07:52 PM

8. 56% Favor Legalizing, Regulating Marijuana

A solid majority of voters nationwide favor legalizing and regulating marijuana similar to the way alcohol and tobacco cigarettes are currently regulated. Most also don’t believe it should be a crime for people to smoke marijuana in the privacy of their own homes.

A new national telephone survey of Likely Voters shows that 56% favor legalizing and regulating marijuana in a similar manner to the way alcohol and tobacco cigarettes are regulated. Thirty-six percent (36%) are opposed to such a legalizing and regulating pot.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/lifestyle/general_lifestyle/may_2012/56_favor_legalizing_regulating_marijuana

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 04:17 PM

2. Seriously, the people have spoken.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 05:17 PM

3. I hope Obama takes it to SCOTUS so the court can put the final nail in the coffin of state rights

to nullify unconstitutional federal laws that Jefferson and Madison fought so hard to protect.

Reply to this post

Response to jody (Reply #3)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 05:42 PM

4. So you want Obama to block the CO and WA pot law?

Reply to this post

Response to Logical (Reply #4)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 05:47 PM

5. I said I wanted SCOTUS to rule on a state's right to nullify unconstitutional laws. nt

Reply to this post

Response to jody (Reply #5)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 05:53 PM

6. OK, so sorry, read too quickly on my cell hone. Thanks!!

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 05:54 PM

7. My worry is Obama will continue to crack down on Pot. He does not take it seriously. n-t

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread