HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Costco vs Bj's....

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 03:32 PM

Costco vs Bj's....

I've read and heard about Costco being a liberally owned place. I've looked (google'd) trying to find something about Bj's, but I cannot. I am currently a member at Bj's it's much closer to my house, Costco is further away and it's located right next to the mall...YUCK. Mall traffic is horrible.

Bj's carries the chicken I like as well as the coffee and a few other things. I'd have to check Costco's selection. If Bj's is a terrible place--not good to their employees, donates to repigs, I will go and check out Costcos.

I find both these places to be an alternative to Walmart who if I'm not mistaken owns Sam's Club (the owners of Walmart).

There are a few things I buy in bulk.

So any information anyone has on Bj's would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

14 replies, 2850 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 14 replies Author Time Post
Reply Costco vs Bj's.... (Original post)
one_voice Nov 2012 OP
SomethingFishy Nov 2012 #1
HockeyMom Nov 2012 #2
DavidDvorkin Nov 2012 #5
one_voice Nov 2012 #7
Kolesar Nov 2012 #3
Egalitarian Thug Nov 2012 #4
one_voice Nov 2012 #8
hollysmom Nov 2012 #6
bluestate10 Nov 2012 #9
one_voice Nov 2012 #11
hollysmom Nov 2012 #13
one_voice Nov 2012 #10
FarCenter Nov 2012 #12
hollysmom Nov 2012 #14

Response to one_voice (Original post)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 03:38 PM

1. Don't know about "BJ's" but I just got back from Costco...

We literally couldn't afford to eat as well as we do were it not for Costco.. The best thing is if you pay for the "Executive" membership you get a check back at the end of the year for 2% of your purchases. It covers the cost of my membership plus some free groceries..

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 03:42 PM

2. My daughter works in Loss Prevention

and has been trying fo years to get into COSTCO. Nobody leaves there. What does that tell you?

Reply to this post

Response to HockeyMom (Reply #2)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 03:48 PM

5. Oh, you mean she's trying to get a job there!

My first reaction was that, sure, the parking lot's usually busy, but I can always get into it.

Reply to this post

Response to HockeyMom (Reply #2)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 03:51 PM

7. I'd read/heard Costco...

treated their employees well. I hope your daughter gets in!

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 03:45 PM

3. Costco does not have unionized grocery workers

...like other stores in our metropolitan area typically do. That is my only misgiving about Costco.

We used to shop BJs, but the Costco is closer, so we switched. I have never heard anything negative about BJs, politically or otherwise.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 03:46 PM

4. Costco is moving away since Jim Senegal has retired. I've been a member since it was

called Price Club and Jim's model was very progressive for both employees and customers. It used to be that they bought items in bulk and sold them for as little as possible while making a modest but consistent profit, that's what built the company. (BTW, he is a very rich guy because of the piece of Costco he owns but never paid himself more than $350,000 a year)

Now that Jim is gone, upper management is the usual collection of MBA assholes who are flipping the model to buying in bulk and charging as much as they can and raising their own pay. I'm not sure if they've started cutting pay and benefits for their employees yet, but that is the next step.

Reply to this post

Response to Egalitarian Thug (Reply #4)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 03:57 PM

8. Thank you...

good info.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 03:49 PM

6. From what I understand BJs and Costco are both relatively liberal as far as corproate goes

I know they both pay above the minimum wage here, and yes, it is damn hard to get in there. I have a friend who tried for a job, but since the older people apparently get enough from there, they don't want to leave. A number of workers in our local Costco are mentally or physically challenged. The member check guy is in a wheel chair and a couple of "packers" at the check out have down syndrome.

ETA - didn't know about the management change.

Reply to this post

Response to hollysmom (Reply #6)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 03:57 PM

9. The grocery store that I use employs mentally challenged adults packing groceries and

stocking shelfs, including price labeling.

Reply to this post

Response to bluestate10 (Reply #9)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 04:03 PM

11. Mine too!...

I still use the grocery store. I don't buy everything in bulk. One of the guys is deaf, multiple people with Down's and I swear they ought to hire them for the whole store, they know how to do customer service, never a cross word from any of them. One of the girls always comes help me pack my groceries, I bring my own bags and she remembers me and how I like them packed. I love her to pieces.

They're not allowed to take cash tips, so I will bake for them at Christmas.

Reply to this post

Response to bluestate10 (Reply #9)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 05:15 PM

13. OH mine too.

I use costco for office supplies and bulk gift wrap, (which they donate to charity)

Love my local shop rite and know the owner, so you know who to see if there is a problem. The owner is involved in a lot of things for the town, donating to the food bank, etc.

Reply to this post

Response to hollysmom (Reply #6)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 03:59 PM

10. Thank you..

if they're pretty much equal and Bj's isn't a big repug supporter I'll stick with them because they're much closer. Though I still intend on taking a walk through Costco, who knows they may have more of what I want/need at better prices.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 05:10 PM

12. BJ's is owned by private equity funds.

On September 30, 2011, BJís Wholesale Club was acquired by Beacon Holding Inc., an affiliate of Leonard Green & Partners, L.P., and funds advised by CVC Capital Partners.

From http://www.bjs.com/company-background.content.about_background.A.about

Leonard Green & Partners And CVC Complete Acquisition Of BJís Wholesale Club, Inc.

From http://www.thestreet.com/story/11264031/1/leonard-green-amp-partners-and-cvc-complete-acquisition-of-bj8217s-wholesale-club-inc.html

About Leonard Green & Partners, L.P.

LGP is a leading private equity firm with over $9 billion of equity capital under management. Based in Los Angeles, LGP invests in market leading companies across a range of industries. Significant current retail investments include J. Crew, Jo-Ann Stores, Whole Foods Market, Neiman Marcus Group, PETCO Animal Supplies, Leslie's Poolmart, The Sports Authority, The Container Store, Tourneau, David's Bridal, Jetro Cash & Carry and The Tire Rack.

About CVC Capital Partners

CVC is one of the world's leading private equity and investment advisory firms, with a network of 20 offices and over 230 employees throughout Europe, Asia and the United States. CVC funds seek to identify attractive investments and then develop sustainable, long-term value in close partnership with management teams. To date, CVC has raised over $44 billion from a diverse and loyal investor base and is currently investing from funds with an aggregate of over $10 billion in available equity capital.

Since its founding in 1981, CVC has completed over 280 investments in a wide range of industries and countries. CVC's current retail investments in the U.S. include Pilot Flying J and Leslie's Poolmart.

From http://www.wnd.com/markets/news/read/19594458/leonard_green_&_partners_and_cvc_complete_acquisition_of_bj%E2%80%99s_wholesale_club

Reply to this post

Response to FarCenter (Reply #12)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 05:15 PM

14. I guess no good things can last.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread