HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » DWI Suspect Who Drove 2.3...

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 03:28 PM

DWI Suspect Who Drove 2.3 miles With Man stuck in windshield on Car Is Drug Counselor

A woman accused of driving drunk when she hit a pedestrian and who allegedly kept going for more than two miles while he was stuck to her car is a substance abuse counselor, officials said today.

Sherri Wilkins, 51, is accused of hitting Phillip Moreno, 35, with her Mitsubishi Eclipse, causing him to roll onto the car’s hood and then through the windshield. Moreno became embedded through the windshield as she continued driving for 2.3 miles, according to Torrance police.

Bystanders who saw Moreno on the hood of the car called police and eventually forced Wilkins to come to a stop.

Wilkins told police she “panicked” when she hit Moreno Saturday night around 11:30 p.m., according to Sgt. Robert Watt of the Torrance police department. Her blood alcohol level was more than twice the legal limit when she was tested after the accident, Watt said.

Wilkins, a recovering addict, was working as a “chemical dependency counselor” at Twin Town Treatment Center, the company’s president David Lisonbee told ABCNews.com. He said that many counselors are recovering addicts. Lisonbee called the situation “tragic” and noted that Wilkins had not worked at the treatment center in the days leading up to the accident.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/11/dwi-suspect-who-drove-with-man-impaled-on-car-is-drug-counselor/

There were no witnesses who saw Wilkins hit him but she was going so fast that Moreno was knocked out of his shoes and shorts.

Moreno was in critical condition when emergency services reached him but was aware enough to speak to officers at the scene.

He was rushed to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Wilkins blood alcohol was more than double the legal limit.

She told officers she was driving home from work.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2238315/DUI-suspect-drives-2-miles-man-fatally-struck-stuck-windshield-car.html#ixzz2DMXx8v7v

10 replies, 963 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply DWI Suspect Who Drove 2.3 miles With Man stuck in windshield on Car Is Drug Counselor (Original post)
Liberal_in_LA Nov 2012 OP
DollarBillHines Nov 2012 #1
randome Nov 2012 #2
DollarBillHines Nov 2012 #6
Tutonic Nov 2012 #3
Initech Nov 2012 #4
dsc Nov 2012 #9
CincyDem Nov 2012 #5
DollarBillHines Nov 2012 #7
CincyDem Nov 2012 #8
cntrfthrs Nov 2012 #10

Response to Liberal_in_LA (Original post)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 03:36 PM

1. A few weeks ago, I saw a car hit a 93-year-old man...

while he was driving one of those electric scooters in a crosswalk.

Hit the guy so hard that he was knocked out of his sweater.

The driver kept going.

As it turned out, the driver was 80 and driving with a suspended license.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to DollarBillHines (Reply #1)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 03:44 PM

2. Damn. That must have weird to see.

Reply to this post

Response to randome (Reply #2)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 04:43 PM

6. Broad daylight, too, warning lights and all.

I was the first on the scene. It was obvious that the poor old fellow never felt a thing.

I covered him up with the tonneau cover from my sidecar so no one else would have to see him - it was pretty awful.

The guy that hit him claimed he thought he had just hit a speed-bump.

The guy's license was suspended because he had refused to take a re-qualification test.

He showed up at his arraignment in a wheelchair, acting all smug.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 03:49 PM

3. Driving home from work. At a bar?

n/t

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 03:54 PM

4. The drug counselor at my high school was an admitted alcoholic.

It was pretty well known the coffee he drank every morning was in fact Irish coffee. So I'm these are isolated incidents or if it goes with the profession?

Reply to this post

Response to Initech (Reply #4)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 11:18 PM

9. It tends to be the other way around

many of the people who become counselors do so after entering recovery for addiction. Relapse often happens in addiction no matter what occupation they have. I will say dealing with addicts day in and day out for someone in recovery might make relapse more likely but I don't know of any studies one way or the other.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 03:59 PM

5. Not to take away from Mr. Moreno's pain & suffering but...

knocked out of his shoes I can understand but out of his shorts ??? That's a lot of knocking.

Reply to this post

Response to CincyDem (Reply #5)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 04:45 PM

7. See my post (#1) above

I saw a guy get knocked out of his sweater a few weeks ago.

Reply to this post

Response to DollarBillHines (Reply #7)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 10:50 PM

8. Whoa - guess it's more common than it sounds. Weird.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 01:01 AM

10. ...

geezus....quite the mental images...but inre to counselors relapsing (i'm an alkie in recovery) those who fall off the buckboard are those who haven't been successful in completely changing their fabric of thought/way of thinking. the old AA precept of 'you gotta change your playmates and your playground' holds true...

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread