HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » "I tried to make sur...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 12:56 PM

"I tried to make sure that the people I had to lay off voted for Obama"

Bosses gone Berserk

Jim Hightower
Other Words / Op-Ed
Published: Wednesday 21 November 2012

The sky is falling! The End Times are upon us! It's all over for America! And it's all because of you working-class voters.

That's the wretched wail of a few corporate chieftains who claim to be somewhere between flummoxed and furious that Barack Obama is getting another four years in the White House. With his diabolical Affordable Care Act and tax-the-rich attacks on us wealthy job creators, they moan, this president is out to destroy American business.

How are these trembling titans of free enterprise responding? By firing employees, thus sending a message to workers that voting for Democrats is bad for them. "Elections have consequences," exclaimed one Las Vegas boss, who asked for anonymity when he explained on a radio show why he fired 22 workers the day after Obama's re-election.

Echoing this self-serving political ethic, a man who also claimed to be a business owner but wouldn't identify himself other than as "Stu" told C-SPAN that his fear of Obamacare made him fire enough workers to exempt his business from providing health care. "I tried to make sure that the people I had to lay off voted for Obama," he noted.

http://www.nationofchange.org/bosses-gone-berserk-1353514840

3 replies, 971 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply "I tried to make sure that the people I had to lay off voted for Obama" (Original post)
Liberal_in_LA Nov 2012 OP
Lindsay Nov 2012 #1
BlueStreak Nov 2012 #2
Liberal_in_LA Nov 2012 #3

Response to Liberal_in_LA (Original post)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 01:05 PM

1. And they accuse

us of class warfare.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Liberal_in_LA (Original post)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 05:42 PM

2. Two things:

1) This caller was a fraud. Any time people call in like that, they are basically Joe the Plumbers who only can imagine what it might be like to actually have a real business.

2) No intelligent businessman would think this way. First, it is quite clear from the red/blue state analysis that people who vote for Obama tend to be more educated, more desirable employees. Nobody would want to work for a company that is looking for reasons to lay people off -- especially reasons that aren't related to the business. And we should note that this is apparently a failing business, because he is looking to lay people off even though we have been in a recovery for 24 months now. If he were actually a real business owner, I'd think he might have a little shame in broadcasting his failure.

Reply to this post

Response to BlueStreak (Reply #2)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 07:31 PM

3. I think you might be right about the caller being a fraud.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread