HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » NOM Now Warning Against Y...

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 10:32 AM

NOM Now Warning Against Young People Having Gay Friends

The National Organization for Marriage has sunk to a new low of intolerance. In a “Thanksgiving Message” from Jennifer Roback Morse of NOM’s Ruth Institute, she warns that young people are being “pressured” to support LGBT equality because they have gay friends and peers. Morse relates a story of a Catholic resident assistant (RA) at a college who didn’t want to participate in the “drag party” being organized by her gay supervisor. The supervisor “really leaning on her” and tried to “make her feel bad, make her look bad,” an example of a pro-LGBT strategy that Morse feels is a much more significant threat than the media:

MORSE: I think a lot of our students are encountering this type of situation in their dorms and on their college campuses… What I want to say to you, is that the other side has RAs in the dorm where your young people are going to school. There’s no TV message that is going to do the job of countering that type of influence. Somebody’s got to be there talking to young people one at a time in the places where they’re hanging out and doing the things that they’re doing. There’s no mass media strategy by itself that will solve this problem.

And this holiday season, when your young people come home from college, ask them about this. Ask them if they have a gay RA in their dorms… So please, talk to your young people about this and see what kind of pressure they may be under that maybe even they don’t realize how much it’s having an impact upon them.

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2012/11/26/1233911/nom-now-warning-against-young-people-having-gay-friends/?mobile=nc

16 replies, 1545 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to The Straight Story (Original post)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 10:34 AM

1. i almost pity these people.

so wound up in their hate. but then i think of all the damage they do.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 10:36 AM

2. I'm suspicious of this story. A "drag party" organized by a lead Resident Advisor?

One, that doesn't sound particularly pro-gay. It sounds like something a sorority or fraternity might organize to make fun of gay people.

There was an openly gay RA in my dorm in college. He didn't organize drag parties. He did his schoolwork and tried to keep the sophomores on his hall from setting the dorm on fire.

Reply to this post

Response to yardwork (Reply #2)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 10:39 AM

6. lol

Reply to this post

Response to Marrah_G (Reply #6)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 10:51 AM

10. That second task was a full-time job, too.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 10:36 AM

3. Yes, so horrible!

They are being made to feel bad for being bigots! And it's terrible how if you expand your experiences and the people you know, sometimes you will realize that the prejudices you had are wrong and hurtful and actually grow as a human being and CHANGE the way you think! It's really something to guard against.

Reply to this post

Response to LisaLynne (Reply #3)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 10:38 AM

4. It really is something to guard against if one is invested in continuing hatred and intolerance.

And some people's very lucrative jobs might go away if nobody cared about passing laws against gay people anymore. There's a lot at stake!

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 10:39 AM

5. Wow- the paranoia of these crackpots seems to have no limits.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 10:46 AM

7. These people are some of the most horrible elements of society.

If there is a just God they will spend eternity in the deepest, darkest circle of Hell.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 10:49 AM

8. On the bright side, the fact that NOM felt the need to issue this.....

....... shows how desperate and marginalized they have become.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 10:50 AM

9. Since NOM is a Christian/Mormon religious group, where is the strong opposing

statement from all of the 'we're not like them' Christians? This sort of thing should make faith folk furiuos, to see their Lord used as a tool of hate, but they always remain silent partners to NOM.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 10:58 AM

11. These hate groups are becoming self parodies almost.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 11:56 AM

12. Oooh ooh ooooh oooh oooh--is it.....CATCHING?

Good grief, what nitwits!

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 12:03 PM

13. My kids would have laughed at, and shunned, any fool talking that kind of hateful, ignorant trash.

I'm grateful that they were way too smart and kind to get sucked into any of those heinous pseudo-christian hate cults.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 01:54 AM

14. Of course, you don't want them gettin' teh gay

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 01:58 AM

15. NOM is full of self hating closeted people.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 02:00 AM

16. Lewis Black on the idea that homosexuality is a threat to the American family:

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread