HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Welfaremart and others - ...

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 11:14 PM

Welfaremart and others - Why don't we try good, old fashioned SHAME?

I remember many years ago there was a website called "deadbeatdocs". It listed doctors, dentists, chiropractors and other medical professionals who had taken out tens of thousands in student loans to finance their illustrious careers and then defaulted on the loans. It listed the person's name, where they went to school, what they studied and the balance of their loan. This was back in the 70's or 80's when going to a regular college wasn't all that expensive, but med school could still cost over $100K. Now it probably costs over $200K. But these students could get these loans because they figured they would be making good money when they graduated. So being a deadbeat doc wasn't something to be proud of.

Well maybe the food stamp and Medicaid office should put up websites listing the last names of recipients and their employers. It would be pretty embarrassing to see "Walmart" listed over and over. Maybe embarrassing enough to get them to pay their workers a little more and give them full time schedules.

I'm just thinking outside the (big) box.

7 replies, 951 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Welfaremart and others - Why don't we try good, old fashioned SHAME? (Original post)
TexasBushwhacker Nov 2012 OP
proud2BlibKansan Nov 2012 #1
Ecumenist Nov 2012 #2
TexasBushwhacker Nov 2012 #3
RKP5637 Nov 2012 #4
oldhippydude Nov 2012 #5
proud2BlibKansan Nov 2012 #6
justice1 Nov 2012 #7

Response to TexasBushwhacker (Original post)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 11:16 PM

1. You want to publicly shame welfare recipients?

Um. No.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to proud2BlibKansan (Reply #1)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 11:18 PM

2. I think that they're talking about Wallyowrld. Walmart. Not actual people on welfare.

Reply to this post

Response to Ecumenist (Reply #2)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 11:20 PM

3. Correct - I want to shame the employers of people who still need food stamps etc. n/t

Reply to this post

Response to TexasBushwhacker (Reply #3)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 11:33 PM

4. I see where you're coming from, but it seems it might embarrass a lot of employees

in the process ... but then the struggle for good pay and working conditions was never easy, particularly in a distorted capitalistic system wherein the main impetus for success is to screw over the other guy.

Reply to this post

Response to TexasBushwhacker (Reply #3)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 11:41 PM

5. i see real problems in naming a victim...

most corporations appear beyond shame at this point.. social service agencies guard their information on clients, for the same reason medical records are confidential... there are legal and historic safeguards concerning this information...

in the past programs like 60 minutes would expose these kinds of issues..the media has since become much tamer..

also... careful what you suggest as a cure... as rightly pointed out years ago, the med school exposure did in fact wake people up.... it was one of the factors in bringing banks into the student loan industry.... that has become a larger problem than the loans it was meant to stop...

The Obama administration has rightfully removed the banks from the student loan program thereby saving students a lot of interest money..

the cure can be worse than the disease..

Reply to this post

Response to Ecumenist (Reply #2)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 11:43 PM

6. "the food stamp and Medicaid office should put up websites listing the last names of recipients"

Reply to this post

Response to TexasBushwhacker (Original post)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 12:50 AM

7. You can't shame them.

The only way they will pay a living wage, is if there is a financial incentive in doing so. They should have to pay more in taxes than companies that provide fair wages.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread