HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Fox News Counting down to...

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 02:09 PM

Fox News Counting down to Dec 21

Facepalm (warning, link goes to Fox News);

Are you ready for the end? Or perhaps a new beginning?

Either way, buckle up, because today marks the one-month countdown until the 2012 Mayan Apocalypse, set for Dec. 21. That date corresponds to the end of the 13th b'ak'tun, or 144,000-day cycle, on the Maya Long Count calendar, marking a full cycle of creation, according to the ancient Maya.

This milestone has triggered both fear and excitement in some subcultures, particularly online. Some believers see the day as a true doomsday, when the Earth will be destroyed in a planetary collision or other major disaster. Others see it as a day marking a new dawn of peace and unity.

All of this excitement stems from two ancient texts found in Central America and dating back to the heydays of the Mayan Empire. One calendar inscription was found on a monument made around A.D. 669 in Tortuguero, Mexico, and refers to the coming of a god associated with cycle changes on the Dec. 21 date. (Of course, since December is an invention of western calendars, they didn't use quite those terms.)

24 replies, 2362 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 24 replies Author Time Post
Reply Fox News Counting down to Dec 21 (Original post)
47of74 Nov 2012 OP
Takket Nov 2012 #1
etherealtruth Nov 2012 #9
Shankapotomus Nov 2012 #16
SomethingFishy Nov 2012 #2
randr Nov 2012 #3
Warpy Nov 2012 #4
SomethingFishy Nov 2012 #5
JKingman Nov 2012 #6
Historic NY Nov 2012 #7
bhikkhu Nov 2012 #8
spanone Nov 2012 #10
Volaris Nov 2012 #21
kydo Nov 2012 #11
MFM008 Nov 2012 #12
Mz Pip Nov 2012 #13
BarackTheVote Nov 2012 #14
NoPasaran Nov 2012 #15
Nevernose Nov 2012 #17
AntiFascist Nov 2012 #18
jmowreader Nov 2012 #19
AsahinaKimi Nov 2012 #20
hobbit709 Nov 2012 #22
kydo Nov 2012 #23
Le Taz Hot Nov 2012 #24

Response to 47of74 (Original post)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 02:11 PM

1. There was a great tweet about this today from an actual scientist with a brain:

Neil deGrasse Tyson‏ @neiltyson

End-of-world prophecies for 2012 are hoaxes perpetrated by the scientifically illiterate on the scientifically under-informed

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Takket (Reply #1)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 03:23 PM

9. Neil deGrasse Tyson‏

Reply to this post

Response to Takket (Reply #1)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 05:55 PM

16. He followed that up with --

Neil deGrasse Tyson‏ @neiltyson
"Y'all should know by now that if the World were going to end for any cosmic reason, I'd tell you how and I'd tell you when."

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 02:19 PM

2. The perfect example of the divide in this nation..

"Some believers see the day as a true doomsday, when the Earth will be destroyed in a planetary collision or other major disaster. Others see it as a day marking a new dawn of peace and unity..."

Ah Republicans and Democrats.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 02:33 PM

3. Should I call faux and tell them my calendar ends on Dec. 31?

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 02:34 PM

4. It's exactly like changing our own date prefix from 1999 to 2000

only old mainframes using COBOL aren't threatened by the Mayan prefix changing, something that the Mayan people themselves say is all that will happen.

Still, people who hate their lives are always willing to grasp at any straw that says they're going to die on a certain date and take most of us with them.

The financial advisor is warning that the stock market will go down about that time as the idiots cash out, like that would save them in a cataclysm. It's going to go down anyway as greedheads take their capital gains while the tax is still so low and before it goes up on January 1, 2013.

The rest of the Mayan Apocalypse is just so much bullshit.

But we at DU already knew that.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 02:37 PM

5. This should turn out about as well as

Al Capones vault. Maybe they can get Geraldo to hype it up for a few weeks

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 02:38 PM

6. Does anyone really believe the people at Fox want to be ...

taken seriously anymore?

Don't we know that the bottom line for each and every one of those conscienceless people involved at Fox News is that

THEY'RE ONLY IN IT FOR THE MONEY, HONEY!!!!

Ratings, money, attention, air-time.. it's all about each and every one of those greedy Fox News' employees' getting a big bonus check for keeping a few million totally mindless people in America tuned into their network above all OTHER "news" channels.

Fox News is really just another Home Shopping Channel, except that Fox News just sells silly mindless news teases, instead of the real bling-bling that the shopping channels sell.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 03:02 PM

7. Lets tell them its actually 12-12-12.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 03:21 PM

8. So, if the world ends every 144,000 days, how many times has it ended now so far?

riddle me that, faux news!

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 03:31 PM

10. and if nothing happens, it will be Obama's fault.

Reply to this post

Response to spanone (Reply #10)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 07:41 AM

21. And if something DOES happen...

like a minor earthquake somewhere that deas little damage and kills NO ONE...

Obama will be a secret Myan TimeTravel Operative sent to the past from the FUTURE to kill John Conner, establish the Govt. funded Myan Earthquake Machine and take everyon's guns away, thereby ensuring the collapse of society, and setting up an easy takeover by our soon-to-be Alien, Time-Traveling, Future-fucking-with Long Dead Myan Overlords, who's only goal is to fleece Earth's Rich and redistrubute thier wealth among the Galaxy's most lazy and layabout classes (ironicly, that population number is appx. 47% of total galactic population, which must mean that the Romney-bot (version 2.0) was actually sent here to save us from all of this, and America's moochers were just too greedy to care about the Salvation of Humanity)...

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 04:21 PM

11. I think many are missing the point about the Mayan Calendar

And many others just want to make money from it.

The world will still be here on Dec 22, 2012. Dec. 21, 2012 will be a regular friday - so far as regular can be during the holidays.

The Mayan Calendar is a two folded thing, part is much like our modern calendar, and the other part is more like an almanac or horoscope. The reason about 47% of the country probably believes the world will end on this date, do so because they are either not very well educated or they want it to happen or they are making money from it.

The not very well educated have never read up on the subject. These people are not necessarily stupid just not very well educated on the subject - For the record I'm not very well educated on this either. For if some of these people had done a little research, they would have found out that most of the books and literature that explains what all the funny stuff, (the mayan writing), written on the calendar means, were burned and destroyed by the catholic church and the spanish government that was governing the mayan areas. Some stuff survived but this still leaves a lot up to one's imagination. This is where the myth starts. The truth is rather different.

When the Mayan Calendar ends it does just like ours, we start a new year. This is just a new millennium. Its the other part, the part that is more like an almanac or horoscope that is the cause of the problem of creating the myth. All this was, was trends, and how these people thought what would happen and when. We do this at the end of every year. Many reflect and guess based on what happed this year as to what will happen in the next year.

Think stock analysis, or better yet Nate Silver. His thing was numbers and he showed the numbers and then he wrote what they meant. Nate's 538 blog is what the Mayan Calender is only it was written long time ago and probably needs a new model cause the Mayan Calendar's results are askew.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 04:56 PM

12. Thats because

The prospect of Apocalypse looks better to Fox news and their sheep than another Obama term. Maybe the asteroid will land in Murdocks lap.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 05:02 PM

13. My understanding of the Mayan calendar

as explained by a decendent of the Mayans was that every 56 years( I think that's right) the solar and lunar calendars align. This is the year it happens again.

But if people want to get their panties in a twist over this then have at it. Maybe they'll stay out of the stores and I can get my last minute shopping done.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 05:19 PM

14. Isn't the ideal Republikan a good (white) God-fearing Xtian Fundamentalist?

Then why do they care so much about a pagan "prophesy"? For realz.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 05:50 PM

15. Some scholars believe

Some scholars believe that when the Mayan Calendar ends, they would just get a new one from their realtor.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 05:57 PM

17. My calendar ends on Dec 31

In fact, it ends on that day every single year.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 06:02 PM

18. Astrologically...

won't this mark the end of the Age of Pisces (symbolizing Christianity) and the beginning of the Age of Aquarius? I wonder if Fox will discuss that?

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 02:15 AM

19. I thought Fox News believed the world would end on December 17, 2012

Which is the date the Electoral College officially re-elects President Obama.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 02:50 AM

20. I wonder if

The Mayan Calendar ended because the guy who was doing it just quit... "I am not doing this anymore!!" wouldn't that be funny if true?

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 07:42 AM

22. The only good thing about the end of the world would be the end of Fox News.

Reply to this post

Response to hobbit709 (Reply #22)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 08:04 AM

23. Now that would be the dawn of a new age

So as far as fox is concerned I think the only news story (or rather outlandish conspiracy tale - this is fox after all and they only air fox approved news and if they don't like the news they tell you it its wrong, crazy version of how reporting the news works if you ask me) that the quasi news more propaganda fox could air that could get me to enter their fantasy world of news would be, the holy blood holy grail conspiracy theory. And the only reason I'd watch is to see how long it takes for them to cast Obama as the reason for the templar's existence as he time traveled and stole both the ark of the covent and the holy grail.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 08:06 AM

24. I've got two words for Faux Nooz:

Leap Year.

They didn't account for it.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread