HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Feds: Teachers in three s...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 12:40 PM

Feds: Teachers in three states embroiled in test-taking fraud

MEMPHIS, TENN. -- It was a brazen and surprisingly long-lived scheme, authorities said, to help aspiring public school teachers cheat on the tests they must pass to prove they are qualified to lead their classrooms.

For 15 years, teachers in three Southern states paid Clarence Mumford Sr. - himself a longtime educator - to send someone else to take the tests in their place, authorities said. Each time, Mumford received a fee of between $1,500 and $3,000 to send one of his test ringers with fake identification to the Praxis exam. In return, his customers got a passing grade and began their careers as cheaters, according to federal prosecutors in Memphis.

Authorities say the scheme affected hundreds - if not thousands - of public school students who ended up being taught by unqualified instructors.

Mumford faces more than 60 fraud and conspiracy charges that claim he created fake driver's licenses with the information of a teacher or an aspiring teacher and attached the photograph of a test-taker. Prospective teachers are accused of giving Mumford their Social Security numbers for him to make the fake identities.

The hired-test takers went to testing centers, showed the proctor the fake license, and passed the certification exam, prosecutors say. Then, the aspiring teacher used the test score to secure a job with a public school district, the indictment alleges. Fourteen people have been charged with mail and Social Security fraud, and four people have pleaded guilty to charges associated with the scheme.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/11/25/3933744/feds-teachers-embroiled-in-test.html#storylink=cpy

7 replies, 872 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Feds: Teachers in three states embroiled in test-taking fraud (Original post)
proud2BlibKansan Nov 2012 OP
zazen Nov 2012 #1
proud2BlibKansan Nov 2012 #2
AnotherMcIntosh Nov 2012 #3
proud2BlibKansan Nov 2012 #4
longship Nov 2012 #5
elleng Nov 2012 #6
longship Nov 2012 #7

Response to proud2BlibKansan (Original post)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 12:44 PM

1. they need to cheat on _that_ softball test!? yeesh n/t

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to zazen (Reply #1)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 12:47 PM

2. That was my first thought as well.

I've never taken it but the teachers I know who did take it complained more about the cost than the difficulty. I've also never known any teacher to fail it.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 12:54 PM

3. Illinois is not included? Fake licenses but no one in Illinois thought of that?

Reply to this post

Response to AnotherMcIntosh (Reply #3)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 12:57 PM

4. Or maybe they haven't been caught yet?

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 12:59 PM

5. The CA math cert exam is very difficult.

Math teachers have a horrible time with it. Some never pass and lose their certification.

I passed just fine, but I knew some math teachers who flunked it three times.

It is a tough exam, actually three exams, five hours each.

Reply to this post

Response to longship (Reply #5)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 01:36 PM

6. Is it a reasonable exam,

testing the right or wrong things?

Reply to this post

Response to elleng (Reply #6)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 02:34 PM

7. I believe so.

High school math these days goes from basic business math to AP calculus. Even the algebra curriculum in high school is not easy, as many here know.

My favorite class to teach was geometry. We had two different levels, both introductory classes. Both were fun to teach, even the more advanced one. The students always said that they had fun, too. That's the way I tried to do it.

My least favorite was 9th grade algebra. It was a horrible class to teach. A challenging (good) curriculum being taught to forty students, 3/4 of whom were totally unprepared with the requisite knowledge to grasp even the basic principles. That was about the failure rate school wide, too. I hated those classes, but I soldiered on. I'd get as many through as I could, and did as well as the other teachers with it.

BTW, this school had over 4,000 students and a 17 acre campus!!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread