HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » I don't trust any chariti...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 12:36 PM

I don't trust any charities anymore.

Salvation Army is awash in fundies.

United Way says they "cleaned up their act" after the salary scandal. Yeah right.

I just a couple days ago saw an Anderson Cooper show, where he checked out several "charities" fro profit, including a "dog rescue" scam, and one group that delivered lots of coconut M & M's to disabled veterans.

68 replies, 4505 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 68 replies Author Time Post
Reply I don't trust any charities anymore. (Original post)
Archae Nov 2012 OP
LiberalFighter Nov 2012 #1
southernyankeebelle Nov 2012 #7
freshwest Nov 2012 #10
arcane1 Nov 2012 #2
Cirque du So-What Nov 2012 #8
mrsadm Nov 2012 #26
roody Nov 2012 #3
Egalitarian Thug Nov 2012 #4
fleur-de-lisa Nov 2012 #5
ForgoTheConsequence Nov 2012 #6
freshwest Nov 2012 #9
liberal_at_heart Nov 2012 #20
Sadiedog Nov 2012 #30
Throckmorton Nov 2012 #38
thelordofhell Nov 2012 #11
laundry_queen Nov 2012 #63
brewens Nov 2012 #12
ellenfl Nov 2012 #14
Jane Austin Nov 2012 #25
ellenfl Nov 2012 #41
txwhitedove Nov 2012 #13
closeupready Nov 2012 #15
madmom Nov 2012 #16
loli phabay Nov 2012 #18
loli phabay Nov 2012 #17
Warpy Nov 2012 #19
liberal_at_heart Nov 2012 #21
Warpy Nov 2012 #22
RepublicansRZombies Nov 2012 #24
Warpy Nov 2012 #29
RepublicansRZombies Nov 2012 #33
RepublicansRZombies Nov 2012 #59
XemaSab Nov 2012 #43
DJ13 Nov 2012 #23
Chan790 Nov 2012 #37
jberryhill Nov 2012 #53
gollygee Nov 2012 #54
RepublicansRZombies Nov 2012 #57
Libertas1776 Nov 2012 #27
Sadiedog Nov 2012 #34
catch the spit. Nov 2012 #56
RepublicansRZombies Nov 2012 #58
i am thee modren man Nov 2012 #67
Historic NY Nov 2012 #28
Blue_Tires Nov 2012 #65
Blue_In_AK Nov 2012 #31
Odin2005 Nov 2012 #60
RepublicansRZombies Nov 2012 #32
Drale Nov 2012 #35
IDoMath Nov 2012 #36
IDoMath Nov 2012 #39
Raine Nov 2012 #46
hollysmom Nov 2012 #40
Danmel Nov 2012 #42
Le Taz Hot Nov 2012 #44
dembotoz Nov 2012 #45
moondust Nov 2012 #47
Sgent Nov 2012 #48
Hekate Nov 2012 #49
Phentex Nov 2012 #50
malaise Nov 2012 #51
no_hypocrisy Nov 2012 #52
Hekate Nov 2012 #55
jsr Nov 2012 #61
AngryAmish Nov 2012 #62
WinkyDink Nov 2012 #64
bluestate10 Nov 2012 #66
slackmaster Nov 2012 #68

Response to Archae (Original post)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 12:39 PM

1. I'm always leary about them.

Too many are scams playing on your emotions.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to LiberalFighter (Reply #1)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 12:46 PM

7. I am the same way. When they call I ask how much of the money goes to the people

they are raising the funds for? But I stopped all together. I do give to local charities in my small town who give directly to the people they service. I also look for the christmas tree angels and pull names off the tree. Also when we go to Krogers they have bags of food and you can purchase a bag for $5.00 and then you place the bag in another box and at the right time they pass them to families in need. They have it all yr round. I like that because I don't want to put my name on the gift. I gave to St Jude Hospital and now I get calls from every organization around. If your smart don't do it. They will drive you nuts all yr round. I have caller ID and if I don't recognize the number I don't answer it.

Reply to this post

Response to LiberalFighter (Reply #1)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 12:50 PM

10. +1

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 12:40 PM

2. That's why all my donations go to The Human Fund

Reply to this post

Response to arcane1 (Reply #2)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 12:49 PM

8. 'Money for people'

It doesn't get any simpler than that.

Reply to this post

Response to arcane1 (Reply #2)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 02:48 PM

26. LOL! Thanks for that laugh!

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 12:41 PM

3. It is wise to investigate

them thoroughly. For helping people in need, local ones are best.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 12:42 PM

4. I'm with you on this. I do my charitable giving, sans tax breaks, in person one at a time.

When charities become an "industry", that simply means that people are more interested in making their living than in doing whatever the charity claims to want to do. Churches have been doing this for centuries and the model continues.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 12:42 PM

5. Yep, it's pretty sad . . .

I only donate to local charities that I can check out personally. Almost all geographical areas of the US have shelters for battered women. Many of them not only provide temporary housing for women, but also help them find jobs and homes. They almost always accept household items as well as cash donations.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 12:43 PM

6. I always go local.

The one I usually donate to is run by volunteers. If you look at what the CEOs of some of these large charities are making a year its repulsive. Why would I donate 50 dollars towards your million dollar salary?

Reply to this post

Response to ForgoTheConsequence (Reply #6)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 12:50 PM

9. +1

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 02:14 PM

20. yeah local food banks are always in need

Our grocery store has teamed up with the food bank. The food bank tells the grocery store what they need the most. The grocery store packs bags with food they know the food bank needs and all the customers have to do is pick up a bag, take it to the cashier and pay for it($10 a bag). They make sure the food bank gets it. Also, each school in our school district adopts a family to give presents to for Christmas. These are usually the ways I tend to donate.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 02:59 PM

30. Exactly. I donate to my local food bank from time to time.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 03:20 PM

38. My only cash donations are to the local food bank.

I also give a $10 food box from the local store evey other week when I shop. Our food bank is truly local, serving just our town of 15,000.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 12:51 PM

11. Salvation Army also is awash in theft

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Firing+Salvation+Army+executive+leaves+colleagues+shocked/7585370/story.html

Remember this.......it took a whistleblower to take him down. This probably means that it goes on a lot in the organization.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 12:52 PM

12. Just last weekend I heard a woman at a church saying "I don't want it to go

to pay their administrative costs." I have no idea what charity they were talking about but, I've heard that line before. We had a United Way rep pitch that one to us at our blood center. Assuring us that they had contracts with local businesses to pay their administrative costs. Bullshit! Any money that comes in the door at a charity is fungible. You'll hear right-wingers point that out when discussing Planned Parenthood, but of course not when it's foreign contributions to The Chamber of Commerce.

You can't separate donations out like that. Anything that helps keep the doors open and employees working, also funds their services. Money dedicated to strictly the charity, contribute to the organizations success. Without that, no one would donate to the administrative costs. It's all in the same pot.

Even thought the Red Cross blood service is my competition, I think it's a worthwhile organization, as well as their disaster relief chapters. Contributing helps to keep good employees doing a good job.

BTW. My fifty dollar United Way contribution allowed me to enter a drawing for prizes from out blood center. I won a $50 Rosaurs gift card! That was good because it was a little tight kicking them that fifty. When you rely on people to donate blood to earn your living, it's a little hard to say no.

Reply to this post

Response to brewens (Reply #12)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 01:23 PM

14. i haven't donated to rc for sandy because i'm skeptical. who's good? eom

Reply to this post

Response to ellenfl (Reply #14)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 02:40 PM

25. Occupy Sandy

You can send them money or buy things from their "wedding Registry" on Amazon.

Reply to this post

Response to Jane Austin (Reply #25)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 09:53 PM

41. thank you. eom

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 12:57 PM

13. Please don't give up on all charities. My son runs a non-profit. His time and money go to further

grow the non-profit to help others in Austin and around the world. I know his heart is in the right place, and I'm sure there are many other charitable organizations like his.

Taken in Cambodia, caption read his head was intentionally cut out of the picture "because it's not about me."

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 01:29 PM

15. Like lots of things, you really have to scrutinize NGO finances

closely to see where the money is spent, how it's spent, etc.

I make sure before I give that I look at the financial statements, and also do research on the BBB or guidestar.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 01:52 PM

16. The only local charity I give to anymore is

Shop with a cop. They do wonderful things. I was involved with them a couple years ago, they asked for volunteers to help with the shopping. They collect donations and take under privileged kids shopping for xmas. They are given so much money (they can spend it on themselves or their family) and actually taken to a local store with volunteers and are allowed to shop. We found out later they also gave each family a gift certificate for one of the local grocery stores pre-packaged holiday meals. It was truly inspiring and really fun for the kids. I loved it and donate to them every year.

Reply to this post

Response to madmom (Reply #16)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 01:59 PM

18. we have the shop with the sheriff. pretty much the same thing and another good cause

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 01:55 PM

17. one program i like that the sally army run is adopt a kid for christmas

We have four kids we are buying for this year. The kids love shopping for less fortunate kids and really enjoy trying to make christmas for them. We used to do it in their name but now my kids save all year and use their own money for it.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 02:13 PM

19. The portfolio I inherited is going to Doctors Without Borders

when I kick the bucket. So far, they have managed to avoid any major scandal but no charity is immune from CEOs who think the title is a license to steal.

I'm keeping an eye on them, though. The portfolio is a respectable chunk of change.

Reply to this post

Response to Warpy (Reply #19)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 02:17 PM

21. We plan to donate some of our estate if there is any to Guide Dogs for the Blind

My husband received a service dog from them and they are fantastic organization.

Reply to this post

Response to liberal_at_heart (Reply #21)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 02:22 PM

22. Yes, there are good ones out there.

If I still live in the US, the house, car and bank account will likely go to the ACLU.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 02:33 PM

24. great organization- but don't you just want to have fun giving that money away yourself?

There are so many families in need, you could find so many ways to help that could change lives right now and you could watch it happen, and love it.

I don't think that people realize(not you) the joy in giving is far greater than the joy of hoarding. I have long wanted to find a way for the super rich to discover the joys of giving, if someone could just lead by example, maybe the rest would finally get it.

Our media has long promoted lifestyles of the rich and famous type programs, but I dream of a reality show which follows someone who has plenty of time and money and just wants to help people, be it buying a family a reliable car they desperately need, a new washer/dryer, paying power bills for one year, or helping them with a down payment on a house so they are not stuck in the cycle of rent forever. Poor people know it's the little things that are really big things, so we aren't talking about extravagance, but showing everyone how little it takes to really help someone and how much joy comes from that rather than watching the Kardashians buy another handbag.

Now if you could just hire a team to do a reality show to follow you around while having fun giving away your wealth, you would just make my dreams come true

Reply to this post

Response to RepublicansRZombies (Reply #24)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 02:58 PM

29. Yeah, giving it all away can be fun

Right now, I do KIVA loans to some of the poorest people on the planet, trying to change the world one poor person at a time.

Reply to this post

Response to Warpy (Reply #29)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 03:02 PM

33. that's so nice- thank you

that does help immensely

Reply to this post

Response to Warpy (Reply #29)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 10:23 AM

59. This family could use some help

My dream is to have a pile of money just to give away. I have no need for extravagance or stuff, it would be just so easy to help so many with the basics and make their lives so much easier. (so forgive me if I am annoying you)

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10021888455

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 10:12 PM

43. They're amazing

There are two documentaries about them on the Netflix, both of which were really good.

In one of them, one of the doctors said that he went to an interview and they said, "Sometimes after work some of the doctors might pass a little marijuana around. Do you have a problem with that?" and the guy said, "I thought we smoked it all when I was at the University of Colorado!"

But it got me thinking that that was a trick question.

Normally during an interview, the "right answer" would be "I never touch the stuff!" But I think in that case the people doing the hiring knew that the job was so stressful that they needed people who could leave work at work and really unwind during the off hours.

Those people are saints, seriously.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 02:24 PM

23. I even question the Red Cross now

After Sandy when they started saying dont send food, clothing, and blankets, send money, I started questioning their intent.

Reply to this post

Response to DJ13 (Reply #23)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 03:17 PM

37. The reason they tell you not to send food, clothes or things like blankets...

is because they get massive donations of second-hand crap and pantry-scrapings...and when people actually donate good-quality new materials they still get too much of what they don't need and too little of what they do need...or they get the wrong things...and it all costs them more (in $$, time and other resources) than to just buy the right food, clothing and accoutrements they actually need where they need them.

Best case scenario, you go to the store and pay $15 to buy a new blanket to donate...well, guess what? They could have used the $15 to buy 10 blankets if they needed blankets...or they could have bought 0 blankets since they have more than they need (b/c some manufacturer donated 10000) and no drinking-water filtration. Perhaps you're donating canned beans when they desperately need baby formula and granola bars or you're donating meat that they now need to find a way to refrigerate. You cannot imagine the wrong types of clothing that get donated...they need coats and shoes and socks and underwear...they'll get dresses and swim trunks and dress shirts. Often, they need things that you have no way of acquiring...like medication.

They actually need a much more diverse list of things than most people realize, they tend to get a lot of a lot of things that are not needed...and what they need most is $$$ to give them the flexibility to confront the conditions on the ground as they find them in real time.

If you really don't want to send money, call your local RC and ask them what they need or how you can help. Offer to take the classes so that when disaster strikes in your area, you can be the hands and feet on the ground.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 08:08 AM

53. There are plenty of clothes blankets and food in NY and NJ

It makes no sense to transport that stuff in. They are not a trucking company. They can buy more supplies wholesale in the area for less than sorting and transporting stuff.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 08:11 AM

54. It costs a lot to transport and sort stuff

It's much more efficient to just buy what they need close to where they need it in bulk so it's easier to sort.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 11:57 AM

57. Scott Walker worked for the Red Cross- send $$ means easier to pilfer

What happened to all the money donated after Katrina because it sure as hell didn't go to New Orleans.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 02:52 PM

27. Try this site...

http://www.charitynavigator.org/

I believe it tells you how much a certain charity gives to actual charity and how much goes to administrative costs and overhead. I found it very helpful. Maybe you can too.

Reply to this post

Response to Libertas1776 (Reply #27)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 03:04 PM

34. Thank you, that was eye-opening! NT

Reply to this post

Response to Libertas1776 (Reply #27)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 11:33 AM

56. I will NEVER give money to "Find the Cure" deals...

It should be called "Line Big Pharma's pockets even more..."

Reply to this post

Response to catch the spit. (Reply #56)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 12:08 PM

58. we all know they don't really want to find a cure, more like bury the cure

At my local race for the cure fundraiser, they actually put a pink toilet out for everyone to put their donations in.

Reply to this post

Response to RepublicansRZombies (Reply #58)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 01:22 PM

67. LOL! Perfect.

I watched "Pink Ribbons, Inc." recently. I recommend it to anyone who is concerned about all the similar fund drives around. They are now capitalizing on dis-ease!

Reply to this post

Response to Historic NY (Reply #28)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 01:02 PM

65. thanks for this...

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 03:01 PM

31. I've cut way back on my charity giving.

Only Amnesty, ACLU, Planned Parenthood when I can afford it, and SpecialOlympics.

Reply to this post

Response to Blue_In_AK (Reply #31)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 10:52 AM

60. ACLU supported the PTB in "Citizens United"

They are dead to me.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 03:01 PM

32. What happened to all the money donated to Haiti after the quake?

The people still have nothing but I read the other day about a new mega sized industrial complex being built.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 03:08 PM

35. The only national organizations I support are

the Sierra Club and the National Park Foundation, other than that I give to local groups who help the needy.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 03:11 PM

36. I have one you can trust

I give them over 500 hours per year. If you're ever in San Antonio, TX I can give you a your personally.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 03:22 PM

39. I never give to medical or children's charities

Those charities are politically "safe" so the big corps and big foundations give to them. I only give to local charities I can personally investigate. They need my help more and my dollars make a bigger difference with them.

Reply to this post

Response to IDoMath (Reply #39)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 03:43 AM

46. That's EXACTLY the way I feel too. I don't give to the ones that get

all the publicity, they get plenty. I like to give to smaller, less known, more offbeat charities.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 04:36 PM

40. I volunteer for a small national group that helps thousands of kids every year

I have looked at their audit and know that the board of directors volunteer for 1 dollar a year, There are a few full time workers and a CEO who left a good paying job, the most anyone makes is 50K a year for full time work and that is only one person, the rest make much less. With the exception of one major fund raising event, most of the fund raising is done by volunteers.

You pick a charity and work for it, you will learn a lot about it from that. I never give to united fund because they spend far too much on parties for fundraisers. Our group parties on our own dime and usually raises more money at the parties.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 09:59 PM

42. I always look them up

www.charitynavigator.org

You can check out how they spend their money, what the ceo earns etc.

There are many good organizations out there, just have to do your due diligence.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 10:56 PM

44. Look to your local charities.

You can trace the money MUCH easier and you should be able to see the benefits going directly to the beneficiaries and not some nameless board living on mansions on the hill.

One of our local homeless shelters was started by one man 35 years ago. For decades he lived on-site in a back room. Benefactors decided that he needed a house to live in and built him a little 2-bedroom, 1-bath house next to the facility. He still wears overalls to work and he still works there every day. THAT'S where my money goes (on the rare occasion I actually have money) and when I can't donate money I'm happy to donate time.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 11:12 PM

45. Archae you live is batshit crazy wisconsin--charities are needed because walker and his ilk

are just evil fuckers

find a local food pantry or something

don't give up

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 03:59 AM

47. I have a problem with oversized CEO salaries at charities.

I think half a million a year is too much but some charities pay their CEO about that much.

Occupy Sandy looks like pretty much all the donations are going to serve victims rather than some corporate-like structure. May give that a shot.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 04:18 AM

48. There are a lot of good resources

take a look at guidestar.org for detailed financial analysis, including copies of the charities tax returns (which includes all executive compensation, payments to the board of directors, etc.).

In general however, you can look to the united way -- and organizations they fund -- as a good bet when it comes to your charity dollars. The United Way does extensive auditing, and insures that recipient charities are within reason on their administrative and fundraising costs.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 04:22 AM

49. Direct Relief International. Planned Parenthood. My local Food Bank. No excuses.

Direct Relief International uses every penny, and as a bonus they are located in my home town of Goleta, CA. When the disaster in Haiti happened (well, the most recent one with earthquake) they happened to already have a container ship in the port because Haiti is -- well, Haiti. By this point they have pre-positioned hurricane modules to give healthcare providers a running start. Here in the US they are there for Hurricane Sandy victims.
Check them out here http://www.directrelief.org/

Planned Parenthood is the primary health care provider for millions of women in the US. Planned Parenthood Federation of America is the overarching national group. http://www.plannedparenthood.org/
They do a remarkable job of educating women, men, and teens. They provide contraception -- and help with infertility. They provide prenatal care. As they say at their website:
General health care services vary by location. They may include
anemia testing
cholesterol screening
diabetes screening
physical exams, including for employment and sports
flu vaccines
help with quitting smoking
high blood pressure screening
tetanus vaccines
thyroid screening

PP has been under siege from anti-choice fanatics for a couple of decades now, but they soldier on as best they can, and they need our awareness and our help.

My local Food Bank. Nothing is wasted here, either. "In our county, 1 in 4 people receive food support from the Foodbank. 44% of those served are children." Check out your local Food Bank.

No excuses, Archae!

Hekate

Reply to this post

Response to Hekate (Reply #49)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 07:51 AM

50. I plan to give more to PP this year...

I have always supported a group of friends in the breast cancer walk and I still attended one of their fundraisers. But I am making direct donations to PP instead of giving directly to Komen.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 07:54 AM

51. Every time a Salvation Army person with the kettle approaches me

I tell them no - I don't give money to charities - we have our own. We provide money, books and lunch for the education of promising kids from high school through university.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 08:02 AM

52. I'm buying discounted Thanksgiving turkeys this morning and donating to Eva's Kitchen.

http://evasvillage.org/helping-feed-hungry-poor-soup-kitchen.shtml

They will either be cooked and served to the homeless or given outright to a family who can't buy one. I've volunteered at Eva's Kitchen and donated in the past.

If you find a food pantry, a soup kitchen, or another organization that is local, consider donating to it instead of a monolithic entity like Salvation Army.

Reply to this post

Response to no_hypocrisy (Reply #52)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 11:26 AM

55. Excellent! Our Food Bank received 2,700 frozen turkeys from people this year

They exceeded their goal of 2,500.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 11:00 AM

61. The bigger they are, the more scammy

with ridiculous overhead like corporate-size salaries & benefits and advertising/PR contracts to cronies.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 11:04 AM

62. You shouldn't trust charities

You shouldn't trust businesses.

You shouldn't trust the government.

Only children trust any institution.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 11:11 AM

64. I give to veterans' organizations; CARE; ChildFund International; S.A.; local homeless shelters;

National Federation of the Blind; Feed the Children; Feeding America; Handicapped workshop; ASPCA; and church.

Literally tithing.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 01:13 PM

66. There are sites where you can check on the efficiency of charities. The rule is to give money to

the ones that put most of every dollar you contribute to helping victims. I to am bothered by how a head of a charity makes a salary of $500,000-$1,000,000 per year when the average american makes far less. That really bothers me, but websites that evaluate charities also list recorded salaries. I can see paying for a reasonable level of staff to help run the charity, but big salaries for the head and some staff, I don't see.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 01:23 PM

68. I can't afford to give them anything except my old clothes and used furniture any more

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread