HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Dispatch from an American...

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 07:00 AM

Dispatch from an American Classroom: I Wasn't Prepared for Pregnant 12 Year-Olds

http://www.alternet.org/economy/dispatch-american-classroom-i-wasnt-prepared-pregnant-12-year-olds

If you were to start on Independence Avenue from where it splits off from Pennsylvania Avenue NE at Third Street and head east, as you get to RFK Stadium you loop around the circle and then cross the Anacostia River on East Capitol Street. A few miles later on your left is an aging junior high school building that houses a non-profit charter Middle School and companion High School. I teach in the former.

Knowing several of the staff, and having visited the school previously, I thought I was prepared. I knew the population was very much at-risk. I had no idea.

I teach 7th grade Social Studies - Ancient World History. The students are all African-American, from Wards 7 & 8, the poorest parts of the District of Columbia. We are just several hundred yards inside the District from its boundary with Prince George's County Maryland. The students are supposed to wear uniform shirts, different by grade, which most of them do. I knew that many came from families that at best struggle, some from single parent households, some living with relatives other than their parents. Still I was not prepared. I did not expect a small 7th grade girl who walked into my room - she is due to give birth on January 23, when she will still be 12 years old.

I am told that she will be the 2nd 7th grader to give birth this year.

4 replies, 709 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Dispatch from an American Classroom: I Wasn't Prepared for Pregnant 12 Year-Olds (Original post)
xchrom Nov 2012 OP
MrYikes Nov 2012 #1
dkf Nov 2012 #2
boston bean Nov 2012 #3
Skidmore Nov 2012 #4

Response to xchrom (Original post)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 07:06 AM

1. Wise people will be able to respond, but I am not one of those.

Words fail me, but emotion does not.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 08:42 AM

2. The person I feel most sorry for is the baby.

I hope the 12 yo gives her baby up for adoption. If she does that shows she has a glimmer of understanding and concern for the well being of her child.

But I doubt she will have the maturity or foresight to do so, and the government will give her or her family money to keep the baby and the cycle will perpetuate itself.

We don't teach life skills to kids that don't have access to these skills in their family life. It's not politically correct.

Reply to this post

Response to dkf (Reply #2)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 08:44 AM

3. wah???

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 08:53 AM

4. This happens in rural areas too and not just

with African - American children. Happens for a ariety of reasons.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread