HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Capitalism’s Grossest Win...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 06:55 AM

Capitalism’s Grossest Win: The Final Triumph of Black Friday

http://www.alternet.org/economy/capitalisms-grossest-win-final-triumph-black-friday

For wily veterans of a decade of Black Friday doorbuster sales, 2012 was the year that the last semblance of a boundary between the actual day of Thanksgiving and the formal commencement of the holiday shopping season finally collapsed. It wasn’t just the decision by some of the biggest retailers to move their opening hours earlier than ever before. For many customers, the exact time when the doors were unlocked was irrelevant, because Thanksgiving had already become completely subsumed in shopping mania. What difference does it make if the doors open at 8 p.m. or midnight, if you were already in line days earlier?

Consider the example of the Kelley family in Fort Myers, Fla., so determined to sacrifice nothing of their quality of life while in quest for the perfect deal that they showed up in front of the local Best Buy’s doors on Monday, equipped with a dinner table.

This is what we call not messing around:

“ we’ve pretty much gone from not sleeping in a tent to a tent and slowly progressed to where we’ve got everything that we remember we need,” said Sean Kelley, who is ready to have his Thanksgiving feast in line, “On Thanksgiving, mom comes out with the china and the plates, and we’ve got everything you have on a normal Thanksgiving table.”

21 replies, 2863 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 21 replies Author Time Post
Reply Capitalism’s Grossest Win: The Final Triumph of Black Friday (Original post)
xchrom Nov 2012 OP
Evasporque Nov 2012 #1
GeorgeGist Nov 2012 #2
WinkyDink Nov 2012 #3
dogknob Nov 2012 #19
obxhead Nov 2012 #21
Cooley Hurd Nov 2012 #4
NoMoreWarNow Nov 2012 #5
union_maid Nov 2012 #7
pscot Nov 2012 #12
zeemike Nov 2012 #16
n2doc Nov 2012 #6
xchrom Nov 2012 #8
RB TexLa Nov 2012 #9
Fumesucker Nov 2012 #11
Tuesday Afternoon Nov 2012 #10
cactusfractal Nov 2012 #13
valerief Nov 2012 #14
cherish44 Nov 2012 #15
Squinch Nov 2012 #17
TahitiNut Nov 2012 #18
MonkeyMama Nov 2012 #20

Response to xchrom (Original post)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 06:58 AM

1. Thanksgiving - Thankful for Low Prices....nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 07:08 AM

2. Black Friday.

The first day of the Christmas War.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 07:11 AM

3. Sorry; the city should not allow this. Sitting out is one thing; setting up house, another.

Reply to this post

Response to WinkyDink (Reply #3)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 10:19 AM

19. ...and for any other reason, they probably don't n/t

Reply to this post

Response to WinkyDink (Reply #3)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 07:03 PM

21. It's all in where you do it.

In front of a store with the appearance that you will buy something, no problem.

Under a bridge just trying to keep warm because you have no home, huge problem.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 07:30 AM

4. Every time someone is shot, stabbed or trampled on Black Friday...

...China smiles. It's crappy products from China that make it to the top of the deals heap.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 08:26 AM

5. wow-- there's idiots and then there are people who are proud of being idiots

I will never understand these people, unless (hopefully) it is some sort of performance art.

Reply to this post

Response to NoMoreWarNow (Reply #5)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 08:39 AM

7. In a way, it seems to be

I mean, the holiday dinner thing has the feel of performance art, even though I'm sure there is also a sincere desire not to miss that $25 55" razor thin TV or whatever it is they're waiting for.

I would not go out to a retailer on Black Friday unless it was at gunpoint. On the other hand, some seem to consider it a sporting event. They have to know that plenty of opportunities for holiday deals continue right up through - and even a little past - Xmas. Maybe this is something like an American version of the Running of the Bulls or a futbol match riot. The appeal escapes most of us.

I also used to rather like working in retail, but left that about 20 years ago. Even then, the salary and benefits were just as bad as they are now - and this was not at any place like Wal-Mart. But it was the holiday season that I really couldn't take.

Reply to this post

Response to union_maid (Reply #7)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 09:29 AM

12. Go ahead. Shoot me.

Reply to this post

Response to NoMoreWarNow (Reply #5)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 09:53 AM

16. And the media plays their part in creating this madness.

Every year they cover it as a news story and every year some of the nuts try to out do one another to get on the TV....yes they are performing for the TV.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 08:36 AM

6. toon meets reality

Reply to this post

Response to n2doc (Reply #6)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 08:40 AM

8. +1

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 08:43 AM

9. I think the media has been greatly over estimating the participation in and

the importance of Thanksgiving as a holiday in this discussion. It's normal for them, they want to create more of a controversy over whatever they are reporting.

Reply to this post

Response to RB TexLa (Reply #9)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 08:53 AM

11. Hi, Sunshine

Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls
Would scarcely get your feet wet.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 08:50 AM

10. Gross.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 09:39 AM

13. They hate us for our freedoms :-/. n/t

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 09:41 AM

14. But OWS gets beaten and arrested. nt

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 09:42 AM

15. There's nothing cute about that story, it's just SAD

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 09:57 AM

17. I've never gone to a Black Friday so I don't know the answer to this:

Are there people out there who get necessities on Black Friday that they couldn't otherwise have? For example, if a poor mom was able to get a gift for two kids for Christmas where she would usually only have the money to buy for one, THAT I might understand.

But my impression is that the prices on smaller items like toys pretty much stay the same through the holiday shopping season, and that Black Friday is all about cheap prices on very high ticket items which no one actually needs. Like the 50 inch plasma TV or the latest gaming system.

Are my impressions correct on this?

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 10:09 AM

18. The "traditional" Thanksgiving is supposed to begin with a welcome of the God of Consumption.

Santa Claus. He's coming to town ... on Thanksgiving morning! We're a nation that fails to distinguish between two deities upon whom we layer our wishes and appetites. Immediately after His arrival, the children are rushed inside the Temple of Retail to sit on the pervert's lap and engage in prayer (much like the Catholic Church today).

The next ritual is attendance at a combat between two groups of gladiators, competing to see which can injure and maim more of the others. This attendance frequently became participation as supporters of the conflicting groups engage in their own combat. (Alex Karrras and DIck Butkis competed on the tally of those players they each caused to be carried off the field.)

The climax of the Thanksgiving ritual was an orgy of self-indulgence, engorging ourselves on enough food to feed a third world nation for a month, and throwing away enough to feed them for a week. Members of the family would have belching and farting competitions and present obscenely distended bellies like sweaty Buddhas.

Finally, the Day of Indulgence would culminate with a trek to the local movie house to witness the season's latest celluloid circus for the masses.

Yeah ... let's lament the intrusion of "Black Friday" into our treasured reminiscences of a Norman Rockwell image that we never actually lived in reality.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 04:58 PM

20. This is just gross.

I am appalled at what we've become...

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread