HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Chinese-Mexicans celebrat...

Sat Nov 24, 2012, 07:32 PM

Chinese-Mexicans celebrate repatriation to Mexico

Juan Chiu Trujillo was 5 years old when he left his native Mexico for a visit to his father's hometown in southern China. He was 35 when he returned.

As Chiu vacationed with his parents, brother and two sisters in Guangdong province, Mexico erupted into xenophobia fueled by the economic turmoil of the Great Depression and aimed at its small, relatively prosperous Chinese minority. Authorities backed by mobs rounded up Chinese citizens, pressured them to sell their businesses and forced many to cross into the United States.

They never stopped dreaming of Mexico, and Juan Chiu Trujillo returned in November 1960. He came back with his pregnant wife and four children and with 300 other Chinese-Mexicans after President Adolfo Lopez Mateos, trying to improve Mexico's global image, paid for their travel expenses and decreed that they would be legally allowed to live in Mexico. They were eventually granted Mexican citizenship.

Twenty-one of those Chinese-Mexicans and their descendants celebrated for the first time on Saturday the anniversary of their return. Gathering at a Chinese restaurant in Mexico City, they shared emotional memories of their lives in China and paid tribute to the late Lopez Mateos.

http://www.startribune.com/world/180708311.html

I had not heard this story before. This is a nice gesture on the part of Mexico.

2 replies, 669 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Chinese-Mexicans celebrate repatriation to Mexico (Original post)
pampango Nov 2012 OP
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 #1
burrowowl Nov 2012 #2

Response to pampango (Original post)

Sat Nov 24, 2012, 07:40 PM

1. One f my partners in Tijuana

His family came from those brought to the US to build the rail. They were deported to Mexico. His family was not among those deported. It s also the best Chinese food on either side if the border. The family has a restaurant in the Colonia Obrera, iirc.

We used to share stories of immigration and adaptation to a new country. My dad came from Poland after WW II, so we did share in the immigrant experience.

One year I made some Eastern European food, he had the family deliver Chinese food, and of course tacos...the best Christmas dinner ever.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to pampango (Original post)

Sat Nov 24, 2012, 07:43 PM

2. Mexican China Skirts

are inspired by the Mexican-Chinese revolutionary La China Puebolana.
Mexican cuisine on the Pacific coast.

Put this modern story is far out!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread