HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Group pushes to take the ...

Sat Nov 24, 2012, 09:27 AM

Group pushes to take the pill OTC

Posted: Nov 21, 2012 1:43 PM EST Updated: Nov 24, 2012 7:00 AM EST

... The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, or ACOG, says the evidence is strong that the pill is safe, and should not require a prescription.

Half of all pregnancies in the U.S. are unplanned, a statistic that hasn't changed in 20 years. Some of this is due to lack of access to contraception as well as cost ...

There are concerns. The price of the pill will go up if the medication is sold over-the-counter. It is also unclear what role insurance companies will play in picking up the costs ...

The pill is not recommended for certain women including smokers over the age of 35, or those with a history of blood clots.

http://www.kplctv.com/story/20159218/group-pushes-to-take-the-pill-otc

7 replies, 860 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to struggle4progress (Original post)

Sat Nov 24, 2012, 09:44 AM

1. If it goes OTC then the costs should come down also. However, people on any medicine long term

really should be monitored by their physician. Even people who take an aspirin a day are usually monitored for their platelets

So I guess I would suggest if it goes OTC, at least a label should be put on the product indicating this.

I don't think they will let it go OTC though, just the politics of it would prevent it

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Nov 24, 2012, 09:49 AM

2. Insurance will not have to pay any of it. That is what OTC is really about. n/t

Reply to this post

Response to patricia92243 (Reply #2)

Sat Nov 24, 2012, 10:03 AM

3. Although it will raise the cost for some people, it will lower the cost for many others.

Going to the doctor without insurance is expensive, and takes time out of peoples day. Additionally, the price should drop when it goes OTC. So making it OTC would greatly help people without insurance.

I would support easier access to birth control assuming its safe to dispense without a doctors approval. I'm not a doctor, so I can't comment on that, but I do support the pill going OTC.

Reply to this post

Response to patricia92243 (Reply #2)

Sat Nov 24, 2012, 01:40 PM

6. True

But if more people had access to FSA accounts, this could counteract it. You CAN use FSA to pay for certain OTCs.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 24, 2012, 11:46 AM

4. The poorest uninsured (Medicaid covered) could likely NOT afford it OTC.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 24, 2012, 01:38 PM

5. I don't know. I was put on the pill with too much estrogen (Ortho Novum 180)

for bleeding problems and my blood pressure soared into the stratosphere within 3 months (220/101). They took me off of it & my BP went right down to normal. If I hadn't been monitored I could have had a stroke at age 20.

I guess doctors know more than I do, but still.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 24, 2012, 04:06 PM

7. Condoms are OTC. Fair's fair.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread