HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Okay, I am getting two ve...

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 04:10 PM

Okay, I am getting two very different takes on the Walmart strikes

The media is reporting a very small percentage less than .0001 percent or if any wal-mart employees are on strike and it is just composed of outside agitators.

And the underground media reporting Wal-Mart employees are walking out all over the country in huge numbers.

What is it?

7 replies, 1163 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Okay, I am getting two very different takes on the Walmart strikes (Original post)
itsrobert Nov 2012 OP
Still Sensible Nov 2012 #1
Cleita Nov 2012 #2
gollygee Nov 2012 #3
lob1 Nov 2012 #4
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 #5
Cal Carpenter Nov 2012 #6
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 #7

Response to itsrobert (Original post)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 04:19 PM

1. While the WM press release saying less than

a hundred employees participating nationwide is bullshit, I think its fair to say both sides are spinning like hell. It looks like there is ample evidence that there has been a strike/picket presence at many stores around the country (in fact quite a few photos and videos in threads here on DU), it would be a gross overstatement to say "...Wal-Mart employees are walking out all over the country in huge numbers." The truth is somewhere in between.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 04:19 PM

2. And the media always tells the truth.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 04:22 PM

3. I saw a vido that was called something like "33 cities in 71 seconds"

And it looked like a lot of areas had a few, even like 3 or so, while others had close to a hundred or so. People are probably exaggerating on both sides, and also people might be making assumptions based on what they see in their particular areas.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 04:22 PM

4. Walmart has no reason to tell the truth. "Outside agitators" is always a

dead giveaway, too. All the trouble in the world is due only to outside agitators.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 04:36 PM

5. Believe it or not both are correct

depends on the store. There are stores where many workers have walked out... (like the CNN ones that they went, NONE walked out of the job, what do you mean you are Walmart employees), and the one I just covered this afternoon, where Walmart would be correct.

Of course some of the off the record conversations with Walmart employees tell me the story, the fear of retaliation and losing their jobs is very, and I mean this VERY real.

Regardless, the people walking into the store to shop were not harassed, putting this out there just in case the media claims this and most were neutral to receptive and more than a few wore the tags given to them by the leaphleteers. Of course there were a few angry people screaming at the people giving them pieces of paper with information, but hey, you get those every time.

Sorry for muddying the waters. Also, I am not shocked Wally World just claimed the bestest ever Black Friday sale ever, like cross my heart and all that. If anybody is surprised by that, well. bridges and beach front properties come to mind. Part of the reason, has nothing to do with this action... but really, how empty the parking lot was. And I mean that, for a Black Friday, I took the trolley thinking parking will be an issue... nope, not in front of Target or Walmart, both were clear, and plenty of parking available. I still saved some money on gas though and it took me an hour to go and come back to the store (it goes in front of another mall), so maybe the afternoon they'll do better.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 05:19 PM

6. It is extremely risky for the workers to walk out or strike

Retaliation in the form of firings, reduced hours, etc will increase due to this action. At this time, the workers have no bargaining power or union representation. Even if it is only a small percentage of the workers, it is extremely meaningful. Each one who is striking today is representing hundreds who cannot take this risk right now.

I saw a livestream video a few hours ago of several people getting arrested for doing a sit-down in the street in the Los Angeles area, including one Walmart worker who had worked for the company for 9 years (brought me to tears - 1000 supporters chanting from the sidelines). I won't be surprised if she loses her job for this. Saw a picture of Rep-elect Alan Grayson with a worker as she walked out of her job today. She may get fired too.

These are people who can least afford this risk, and they are doing it anyway. They are doing it for the other Walmart workers and all the other working class folks who are getting fucked by this economy, these shrinking wages and benefits, this increasing wealth disparity...

It is true that most of the people are supporters from the community or other unions. However, this is just a first step in helping the Walmart workers get organized, which is what they need in order to really *strike*.

The outpouring of community support will strengthen the workers resolve. At this point, the biggest aspect of this action is to bring attention to the retaliation (firings, reduced hours, etc) by Walmart workers who are trying to organize, or who are even simply trying to request fairer treatment, more consistent hours, and basic respect from management.

This is a huge moment. Momentum is building here and in other industries. The labor movement is coming back.

Reply to this post

Response to Cal Carpenter (Reply #6)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 06:03 PM

7. And this is why I did not take a photo, or time worked at Walmart,

or even the gender, of the employee I talked to. I just quoted "it" to protect the guilty. The level of intimidation is very real.

I just wished this person a good holiday season, this employee has already worked over sixteen hours and cannot wait to go home to get some rest as well.

This employee expects LESS hours in January to make up for this windfall.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread