HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Wealth advisers to franti...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 01:50 PM

Wealth advisers to frantic Republicans: Get a grip

Wealth advisers to frantic Republicans: Get a grip

Financial advisers say some clients are vowing to emigrate or convert their seven-figure investment accounts into cash. Some say they will bury cash and gold, while others are simply venting by sending profanity-laced emails that predict civil unrest and economic destruction.

"Some of them are inconsolable," said John Burke, chief executive of Iselin, New Jersey-based Burke Financial Strategies, who works mainly with small business owners. "I've never seen people so upset about anything in politics."

"I have clients literally thinking they're going to be growing vegetables in their backyard," said Thomas Fross, who is co-owner of Fross & Fross Wealth Management, located in The Villages, a heavily Republican retirement community in Florida.

Last September one of them said he was so afraid of an Obama victory that he wanted to convert $250,000 of his assets into cash and gold so he could bury it in three different places on his ranch. Tiras tried talking him out of it, emphasizing the loss of interest and the risk of damage. In a flood, "a treasure map doesn't work," Tiras told him. The client agreed to hold off. When Tiras checked in after the election, the client was too upset to talk about it.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/10/us-advisers-election-idUSBRE8A90A020121110

15 replies, 1661 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to cthulu2016 (Original post)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 01:52 PM

1. My advice to "frantic Republicans":

Please proceed.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to ProSense (Reply #1)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 01:55 PM

3. I live on a very high hill that is unlikely to be flooded. I will be happy to

lease small plots for burying your treasure chests where the floods will not get them.

Reply to this post

Response to Jackpine Radical (Reply #3)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 02:01 PM

4. Wealth advisers, the greedy rich and

the Republican Party whipped these idiots into a frenzy. Now that they believe the world is ending and are resorting to things like growing their own vegetables (OMG!!!!), they're trying to talk them down.

Mitt, he comes out and attempts to push them over the edge with his "gifts" comments.

Reply to this post

Response to ProSense (Reply #4)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 02:14 PM

8. It is incredibly stupid of those people to think they can bury their money in the ground and

blithely grow vegetables in their backyards while the world goes to hell around them. A person has to have some natural level of stupidity to even consider that they can survive while the world right outside their gates does not, they have been watching too much living dead shows or right-wing rambo movies while living in their gated communities that are protected by cops paid by the rest of society. If the world goes to hell, they will last about 2 minutes, if that.

Reply to this post

Response to ProSense (Reply #1)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 02:07 PM

7. I agree. The quicker bastards like them get out of the economic system, the better. nt

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 01:54 PM

2. hey!!1 I already plant vegetables in my back yard - what's wrong with that?

Reply to this post

Response to hollysmom (Reply #2)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 02:16 PM

9. You don't think that you can farm veggies while the world outside you property goes to hell.

I can't even remotely imagine you or most of the other moderate or progressive posters on DU being stupid enough to make such an assumption.

Reply to this post

Response to bluestate10 (Reply #9)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 04:33 PM

14. no I was just reacting to the way the article was worded

Like OMG - they are going to grow vegetables in their backyard!!!

Most of us who like fresh herbs and tomatoes grow our own.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 02:03 PM

5. These frantic GOPers are so funny!

I had a run in with one the day after the election. She was convinced that the United States of America would be radically changed for the worse by 2017. I had to set her straight by reminding her that President Obama is NOT ANY MORE "radical" than President Clinton was.

She was also talking about "Obamacare" and I had to remind her that President Obama's health care reform was LESS "radical" than what Bill Clinton wanted to do to the health care system in 1993 and that "Obamacare" is essentially Bob Dole's health care proposal from 1993. She instantly shut up!

Reply to this post

Response to PennsylvaniaMatt (Reply #5)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 02:21 PM

10. You should have explained to her that Canada, Britain and the Nordic countries have

health care systems that far more radical than what Obama will implement and that Canadians pay less than half of what we do for health care and don't pay any more in taxes, while in Britain and the Nordic countries, health care is basically free and their health is far batter than ours. And I didn't even mention Australia, where many of hose idiots think they can find heaven.

Reply to this post

Response to bluestate10 (Reply #10)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 02:28 PM

11. I basically have explained that to her...

but then she brings out the GOP talking points about the "horror stories" from countries like Canada and Britain, while failing to mention that the horror stories from our health care system are worse!

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 02:04 PM

6. some of them were so scared

they thought they might have to get a job.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 02:42 PM

12. I still love every moment of this.

I hope this continues for another few months.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 03:11 PM

13. War of the Worlds all over again

These people believed the fiction they were fed and are ready to face doomsday. Sounds like a new form of mental illness.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 05:49 PM

15. Climate change finally got their attention I see.

Wait, they're worried about Obama, aren't they?

Sheesh, well good. Then they'll be out of the stock market and the general economy as they grow I guess. That's actually fine. I don't think we need dunderheads involved in business or the economy. Let them stay out with their heads, er, in the sand.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread