HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Well I got my red card in...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 09:33 AM

Well I got my red card in Colorado last week

I must say before I had my red card I had no reason to smoke. It's a temp right now, but the process was easy. I went to a doctor and they filled out all the paper work. I came with to much information to the doctors office. Thanks to the medical use of red cards I now fully support legalization of pot. I'm so glad it passed in Colorado. I've been taking it easy on how much I have smoked and only once did I ever get to the tripping stage which sucks. From what I saw on tv about the drug being bad I thought the tripping stage would actually be fun instead it felt like falling asleep for me.

I have been on pills that felt worse then what the weed did to me. I have drunk more beers and felt worse then what weed did to me. It's all natural and no chemicals are added. Plus the community I run into with now who smokes it and has red cards are decent people. It's amazing how laid back everyone is. I honestly believe I have been lied to about by all the ani-pot drug commercials. i fully believe the next step into legal use of pot has to come from changing the coding of pot. I can not believe the Federal government gets away with coding pot as a level 1 with no medical purpose. This has to be what we go after to get it legalized in other states. I'm so proud that my state is on the verge of setting trends. It's going to be interesting to see how the effect of passing legalized reaction use of pot effects things.

16 replies, 3203 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 16 replies Author Time Post
Reply Well I got my red card in Colorado last week (Original post)
Dems50State Nov 2012 OP
Webster Green Nov 2012 #1
Ohio Joe Nov 2012 #5
heaven05 Nov 2012 #7
Panasonic Nov 2012 #2
Little Star Nov 2012 #3
Webster Green Nov 2012 #4
Dems50State Nov 2012 #8
kag Nov 2012 #12
Dems50State Nov 2012 #13
Upton Nov 2012 #6
Dems50State Nov 2012 #9
kag Nov 2012 #10
hootinholler Nov 2012 #11
Viva_La_Revolution Nov 2012 #15
kestrel91316 Nov 2012 #16
otohara Nov 2012 #14

Response to Dems50State (Original post)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 09:51 AM

1. I recently renewed my CA medicinal cannabis card.

Kind of pisses me off that it costs so much. It's usually about $80 for a doctors visit to get the recommendation and then another $160 for the state card, which is issued by the county health dept.

My Medical covered half the cost of the state card, which made it a little cheaper for me, but I know a lot of folks who can't afford $240 per year to stay legal (well...more or less). The fees are incurred annually, as both the state card and the doctors rec are only valid for a year.

And....you honestly have been lied to about pot. Reefer madness still persists decades after the original pack of lies was presented to congress by anti-pot crusaders.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Webster Green (Reply #1)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 10:05 AM

5. Yikes, thats a lot...

Here in CO, I paid $60 to the doctor and $35 to the state for 1 year. I thought it was reasonable.

Reply to this post

Response to Webster Green (Reply #1)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 10:53 AM

7. yeah

the federal government and the U.N. are about 100 years behind the rest of us.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 09:57 AM

2. My red card expired today and still waiting for a replacement.

I actually did not buy enough to prepare for this, but I'll manage.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 09:57 AM

3. I live in Massachusetts and as you know we just passed the medical marijuana law...

so it's a new thing for me.

My question is, was it your regular doctor or are there special doctors? In other words how does this work? I had a stroke and am very interested in this as I've heard that medical marijuana might just be helpful for people like me.

Reply to this post

Response to Little Star (Reply #3)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 10:03 AM

4. Years ago I had a regular doctor who wrote my recommendations.

Unfortunately he retired, and my current doc will not write medical pot recs.

In CA, there are lots of doctors who do nothing but write medical cannabis recs. The average fee is about $80-$100.

Reply to this post

Response to Little Star (Reply #3)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 11:01 AM

8. In Colorado you can find a doctor any who recommends it

I just took a copy of all my medical records that I keep with me and he looked for the sheet he needed then recommended it. 65 for doctor visit and 35 money order for Red Card. I bought enough to last me in case any problems happen since I had to use a cable bill. I couldn't get my drivers license switched over because of real ID I have to have a state certified birth certificate even though I had the city one. I used the copy of my lease and cable bill.

Reply to this post

Response to Dems50State (Reply #8)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 11:12 AM

12. I hope those docs are careful.

My doc used to do a lot of red cards for people, and he got on the DEA's shit list. Then our local pharmacist (an absolute asshole whom we have refused to use for years because of his "indiscretion"), told the DEA that the doc wasn't following standard of care with narcotics for a particular patient.

Long story short, Doc got his DEA license revoked. Fortunately they didn't pull his license to practice, but now he can't prescribe any narcs at all or any scheduled drugs--not even testosterone.

He's pretty pragmatic about it, but it thoroughly pissed me off. The DEA made it about the meds, but it was really all about the pot cards. He thinks he'll get his license back eventually (a few years maybe), and I hope so. He's the only doc in our town, and otherwise we have to drive half an hour into Boulder. And he's a terrific doc.

Anyway, be careful. The fight is not yet won.

Reply to this post

Response to kag (Reply #12)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 11:15 AM

13. the doctor I went to was retired

It was a normal visit to the doctor. Anyway I have my card coming I'm happy with my visit.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 10:06 AM

6. Of course, you've been lied to by the government about pot...

the only thing I wonder is why it took you so long to come to that conclusion...

Reply to this post

Response to Upton (Reply #6)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 11:02 AM

9. never had a reason to use it before medical use

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 11:03 AM

10. I got mine right when the MMJ law passed a couple of years ago.

I tried it to see if I could use it to decrease my pain meds, but it really didn't help, so I let my card expire and gave away what I had left.

I fully support legalization. I have two teenagers who don't smoke it now (unless they are vastly better at hiding it from me than I think them capable ), but if they ever do I don't want them to end up in the criminal justice system just for smoking a little pot. Hell, if I HAD to choose I would way prefer they try pot over alcohol. Of course I don't have to choose, so I just talk to them about the danger and stupidity that both cause, and hope they soak it in.

Anyway, I'm glad it's helping you. And yes, the people who own the grow shops and dispensaries are generally pretty cool.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 11:03 AM

11. Um tripping stage?

Unless you mean like tripping over stuff, there is no tripping stage that I'm aware of.

Reply to this post

Response to hootinholler (Reply #11)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 11:30 AM

15. probably means the uberhigh you only get once

I smoked a little ditchweed in HS, but years later I tried hydroponic and smoked too much too fast and did the lay down and let yer head spin thing for a few hours...
never happened again, no matter how much I smoked

Reply to this post

Response to hootinholler (Reply #11)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 11:32 AM

16. Thank you.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 11:16 AM

14. I'm Glad They Lowered The Price

It used to be $90 bucks - per year!!!