HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Walmart & Target: Th...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 03:23 AM

Walmart & Target: Their target customers are the middle class, not the poor.

Walmart and Target both are discounters, but they cater to different customers.

Walmart, which says its customers' average household income ranges from $30,000 to $60,000, hammers its low-price message and focuses on stocking basics like tee shirts and underwear along with household goods.

But Target, whose customers have a median household income of $64,000 a year, is known for carrying discounted designer clothes and home decor under the same roof as detergent and dishwashing liquid...

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505145_162-57551520/walmart-and-target-a-tale-of-two-discount-chains/

US Median household income is about $50K.

12 replies, 4092 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to HiPointDem (Original post)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 03:33 AM

1. their target customers are the working poor who want to feel middle class.

the true/traditional 'middle class' can afford to shop a notch or two higher on the retail hierarchy.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to BlueMan Votes (Reply #1)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 03:34 AM

2. Their target is the middle of the income distribution, whatever you want to call it.

Professional workers are part of the working class and may have high, low, or middle incomes; blue collar workers may have high, low, or middle incomes as well.

The 'traditional' middle class of classical economics was small independent proprieters and a limited range of independent professionals, not workers.

Reply to this post

Response to BlueMan Votes (Reply #1)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 03:38 AM

3. On my planet, facts trump non-facts.

The target customers of Walmart and Target are not the working poor.

If that interferes with a particular narrative, it still does not make it any less true.

Reply to this post

Response to cthulu2016 (Reply #3)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 05:57 AM

4. then they need to adjust their sights- because they're missing the target.

the working poor may not be their target customers- but they're the ones they've got.

the working poor would probably disagree with that sentiment, however- because if they feel middle class- then they must be middle class.

Reply to this post

Response to BlueMan Votes (Reply #4)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 06:04 AM

6. if the middle of the household income distribution is 'the poor,' then what is the bottom

of the distribution?

the middle of the income distribution is the middle class.

working class has nothing to do with one's position on an income distribution, it has to do with one's relation to the means of production.

lower, middle & upper are about income.

Reply to this post

Response to HiPointDem (Reply #6)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 12:32 PM

7. like i said- they're missing the target, if their target is the middle class.

Last edited Fri Nov 23, 2012, 01:06 PM - Edit history (1)

because the people who shop there are NOT 'middle class'(although they like to think that they are).
they're the working poor.

Reply to this post

Response to BlueMan Votes (Reply #7)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 01:28 PM

8. they're the middle of the income distribution. funny definition of 'working poor,' there.

you seem to be a bit like humpty dumpty.

"when i use a word, it means what *i* want it to..."

you just keep insisting the middle isn't the middle, without evidence.

Reply to this post

Response to HiPointDem (Reply #8)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 05:00 PM

9. the traditional 'middle class' doesn't live paycheck to paycheck...

where a lost week of work could easily bring on financial disaster.

you say that walmart's target customer is the middle of the income distribution- that's fine.

BUT- their target customers are not the ones doing most of the shopping there. go to a walmart and look around. start with the cars in the parking lot, and then on to the customers themselves. they are not the traditional middle class- in big part because the 'traditional' middle-class is disappearing, being replaced by a two-tier society of upper and lower classes...haves and have-nots...lords and serfs...whichever you prefer.

Reply to this post

Response to BlueMan Votes (Reply #9)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 05:12 PM

10. The 'traditional' middle class weren't workers, they were small and independent

capitalists and professionals who ran their own practices (i.e. also small capitalists). This is the original ('traditional') meaning of middle class.

You keep talking about the 'traditional' middle class as if it were self-evident, but you never define it except to say they have more income than the people in the middle of the income distribution.

If those store's target customers are in the middle of the income distribution, I'm going to assume that those are a big chunk of the customers shopping there, despite you telling me different.

Reply to this post

Response to HiPointDem (Reply #10)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 06:06 PM

11. you're definitely entitled to your opinion.

everyone is.

Reply to this post

Response to BlueMan Votes (Reply #11)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 06:08 PM

12. people like yourself think there are no facts, just 'opinions'. but it's not so.

Reply to this post

Response to HiPointDem (Original post)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 06:02 AM

5. For a lot of the people I know, Walmart and Target would be upscale shopping.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread