HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » A HUGE shout out to all t...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Nov 22, 2012, 08:56 PM

A HUGE shout out to all the Red Cross volunteers and others that are still working

tirelessly on the East cost for the Hurricane Sandy folks. You people rock, as do all the hard working people that are attempting to get those areas back to some normalcy.

8 replies, 1035 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to teddy51 (Original post)

Thu Nov 22, 2012, 09:32 PM

1. KnR. I made our donation through Costco.

It was great -- I've been under the weather so good intentions and all that, but there I was at the Costco Pharmacy and saw the sign on the cash register. They will take your donation for Red Cross work for Hurricane Sandy survivors. Fantastic -- I just added that amount to my purchase of antibiotics.

A thousand thanks and blessings to all the volunteers from all the organizations,

Hekate

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Hekate (Reply #1)

Thu Nov 22, 2012, 09:47 PM

2. Costco pays employees $20/hr and 90% have benefits

Coincidentally I'm watching Costco story on CNBC right now. Very interesting. Their stock has gone up 2000% since the 1985 and I once heard stock analyst say he wouldnt invest becausee they pay their employees too much.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 22, 2012, 10:19 PM

3. My COSTCO told me they were doubling the donation with no limit. So you gave twice what you thought.

When I can get out again, I'm going to donate some more. Let's get that money there, it's supposed to snow here next week, so it's gotta be really cold there!

Reply to this post

Response to freshwest (Reply #3)

Thu Nov 22, 2012, 10:42 PM

5. I had no idea -- the clerk had to be told how to ring it up

He had no information to give, as a result. It would be very cool to have my hundred bucks doubled!

When they moved into our area in 1999, I was fairly suspicious and not sure I wanted to "feed" a big box store. Then I found out what a great employer they are, and since then I've pretty much enjoyed the relationship.

Reply to this post

Response to Hekate (Reply #5)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 12:20 AM

7. Don't worry, the computer turned your $100 into $200 with their donation.

I was in the store with my kid, and I thought we had to go to Customer Service. The clerk was new and barely clued into the process, bit got it done. They didn't mention the doubling.

Then I went to check out a while later. There was an experienced clerk who told me if I donated $10, that COSTCO would add $10. And if I donated $100, COSTCO would add $100.

So you really did more than you thought you did! I'm glad you did it. And I do like the atmosphere there and it's a real experience shopping there, just like a world market. So many people happy to be there, many of them from overseas. O find the customers as nice as the help.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 22, 2012, 10:31 PM

4. Me as well, I thought that was awesome. Add it to my bill please.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 22, 2012, 11:45 PM

6. Pls see http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x2488706

Not to discourage efforts to help; but it's impt. to be aware that the ARC ain't what it used to be. Pls consider to donating directly to Occupy Sandy: http://interoccupy.net/occupysandy .

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 09:23 AM

8. indeed

Thank you!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread