HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » DC cannot become a state ...

Thu Nov 22, 2012, 08:52 PM

DC cannot become a state without a constitutional amendment.

Do I believe we should have one? Certainly, and I'd vote for it. But that's it. Plain and simple. No amendment, no statehood, no statehood, no congressional vote outside of committee's.

3 replies, 595 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply DC cannot become a state without a constitutional amendment. (Original post)
cecilfirefox Nov 2012 OP
fightthegoodfightnow Nov 2012 #1
jeff47 Nov 2012 #2
fightthegoodfightnow Nov 2012 #3

Response to cecilfirefox (Original post)

Thu Nov 22, 2012, 09:06 PM

1. Not Completely True

-We can become a state two ways as provided by the Constitution.
-The District has for long periods of time on and off (currently off) lawfully had voting representation in the House.
-We had a Constitutional Convention already and submitted a proposed Constitution for the State of New Columbia which failed to get the necessary state ratification.
-There is nothing to prevent Congress from creating federal enclaves (all federal buildings) exempt from District law not unlike the hundred plus foreign governments on foreign soil here.
-There is nothing to prevent the Federal Government from exempting District residents from Federal taxes not unlike citizens in US territories.

But thanks for the support!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to cecilfirefox (Original post)

Thu Nov 22, 2012, 11:19 PM

2. Sure you can. Just shrink it.

Shrink DC to only contain the Capitol, the White House and many of the Federal buildings surrounding them. Now you still have your federal district, and the residents can either form a new state or join MD or VA.

Reply to this post

Response to jeff47 (Reply #2)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 01:49 PM

3. New State

Exactly!

But we have our own needs so VA or MD are not options.

Neither Virginia or Maryland have expressed an interest and for that matter so have the people of DC ......or should I say ......New Columba when we had our Constitutional Convention in the 80s.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread