HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » If I want car advice, I w...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Nov 22, 2012, 10:34 AM

If I want car advice, I won't go to a massage therapist or a chiropractor. If I want to know . . . .

. . . . . how old the Earth is, I wouldn't go to a theologian or a draftsman.

In the first case, I'd speak to people like the Tappet brothers on Car Talk. In the second case, I'd consult a scientist.

You hear that, Marco, you pandering charlatan?

3 replies, 563 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply If I want car advice, I won't go to a massage therapist or a chiropractor. If I want to know . . . . (Original post)
Stinky The Clown Nov 2012 OP
Scuba Nov 2012 #1
madinmaryland Nov 2012 #3
iemitsu Nov 2012 #2

Response to Stinky The Clown (Original post)

Thu Nov 22, 2012, 10:47 AM

1. And if I wanted foreign policy advice, I wouldn't ask John McCain.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Scuba (Reply #1)

Thu Nov 22, 2012, 12:13 PM

3. If I wanted foreign policy advice, I would ask Sarah Palin...

She can see Russia from her back window!!

Reply to this post

Response to Stinky The Clown (Original post)

Thu Nov 22, 2012, 12:01 PM

2. Sometimes, when I want car advice,

I ask my high school, drop-out brother, who mows golf-course lawns for a living. I go to him if I need something welded too. He's very good with these things.
I am a trained academic, with advanced degrees in Ancient and Medieval History, but I can speak with authority on a variety of subjects (auto repair not being one of them).
Rubio does not need to be a scientist to know something about science. As an adult, with a position of power in our government, Rubio needs to be prepared to work with and understand many aspects of society. Rubio has both an undergraduate degree and a law degree suggesting he has read extensively, on a number of topics. As an "educated" man he needs to be prepared to discuss and understand many ideas, even if they are not within his chosen specialty.
As a parent of four children, Rubio needs to know something about science, mathematics, history, language, teenage angst, pulling splinters from knees, and cooking (plus a million other aspects of daily family life).
The pretense or reality of specialization, as an excuse to know nothing about any topic other than the specialization, is a dangerous approach toward citizenship, governance or life in general.
Rubio needs to step back from his know nothing approach to life and ask himself what a responsible adult should look like. Then he needs to work to make himself fit that model.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread