HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Israel-Gaza Ceasefire Com...

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 07:56 PM

Israel-Gaza Ceasefire Comes with Pledge from Obama to Seek More Defense Aid for Israel

United States Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Egyptian Foreign Minister Mohamed Amr announced ceasefire between Israel and Hamas. There was no signed agreement. The ceasefire is essentially “quiet in exchange for quiet,” as one Israeli diplomatic source put it.

---clip
The statement from President Barack Obama’s administration that was given to the press indicated the administration would “use the opportunity offered by a ceasefire to intensify efforts to help Israel address its security needs, especially the issue of the smuggling of weapons and explosives into Gaza.” President Obama would also seek ”additional funding for Iron Dome and other US-Israel missile defense programs.” According to Haaretz, this was part of conversations that led Israel Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to decide to give a ceasefire “a chance” to possibly help “stabilize” the situation “before exerting more force.”

MORE...

http://dissenter.firedoglake.com/2012/11/21/israel-gaza-ceasefire-comes-with-pledge-from-obama-to-seek-more-defense-aid-for-israel/

OP COMMENT: First mention I heard of this was on NBC's evening news and 'who the hell'...didn't see this coming.

Fire up the printing press...more $$$ needed.

5 replies, 581 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Israel-Gaza Ceasefire Comes with Pledge from Obama to Seek More Defense Aid for Israel (Original post)
Purveyor Nov 2012 OP
marmar Nov 2012 #1
Enrique Nov 2012 #2
Fire Walk With Me Nov 2012 #3
bunnies Nov 2012 #5
former-republican Nov 2012 #4

Response to Purveyor (Original post)

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 07:58 PM

1. Militarization eventually bankrupts all empires. Nobody ever seems to learn.

nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 08:05 PM

2. makes you wonder why Hamas would agree to this

as someone who honestly doesn't think I know the answer to "who started it", I'm thinking, if Hamas started it, then why would they agree to end it on terms that only benefit Israel?

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 08:44 PM

3. Endless money for a nutjob, warmongering insane Israeli government but WE have to cut social program

because of that "fiscal cliff" BULLSHIT.

It's all about the money. And he who is raking it in, calls the shots,.

Reply to this post

Response to Fire Walk With Me (Reply #3)

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 08:50 PM

5. ^this^

well said.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 08:47 PM

4. More money for Israel ! yipeeeeeeeeee

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread