HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » This message was self-del...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Nov 20, 2012, 10:26 PM

This message was self-deleted by its author

This message was self-deleted by its author (sandyshoes17) on Wed Nov 21, 2012, 11:46 AM. When the original post in a discussion thread is self-deleted, the entire discussion thread is automatically locked so new replies cannot be posted.

13 replies, 815 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 13 replies Author Time Post
Reply This message was self-deleted by its author (Original post)
sandyshoes17 Nov 2012 OP
Warpy Nov 2012 #1
sandyshoes17 Nov 2012 #2
Warpy Nov 2012 #4
B Calm Nov 2012 #3
WiffenPoof Nov 2012 #5
bluestate10 Nov 2012 #6
sandyshoes17 Nov 2012 #7
Warpy Nov 2012 #9
sandyshoes17 Nov 2012 #13
Lex Nov 2012 #8
xxqqqzme Nov 2012 #10
sandyshoes17 Nov 2012 #12
ProudProgressiveNow Nov 2012 #11

Response to sandyshoes17 (Original post)

Tue Nov 20, 2012, 10:50 PM

1. There is at least one in every family

They're the piggy children who grabbed all the toys and sat with them in a pile and spent their time smacking any other kid who tried to take a toy instead of playing with them. They're the whiny, clingy kids who seem to enjoy tattling. When grownups aren't looking, they're hair pullers and bully boys.

I don't understand them, either, but I'd sure as hell rather see them than be them.

I guess I was born a Democrat, too.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Warpy (Reply #1)

Tue Nov 20, 2012, 10:58 PM

2. It's funny that you said that

Yes she used to tattle on us. She always told if we did something wrong. We laugh about it now, but it says a lot.

Response to sandyshoes17 (Reply #2)

Tue Nov 20, 2012, 11:10 PM

4. The study has been done

to see what type of children grow up to be conservatives and what children grow up to be liberals. It's about the way I described.

That's why elections are so often so much closer than they should be. It's not just crooked voting machines, it's the fact that a lot of this stuff seems to be hard wired and the only way to overcome it in some of them is to bury them in adverse events stemming from their stinkin' thinkin'.

Nothing ever dies on the web. A search should turn up the study.

Tue Nov 20, 2012, 11:07 PM

3. My dad raised all three

of us children to be democrats. My oldest brother owns a very profitable small business down in red Arkansas. He still knows the democrats are on his side and votes straight democratic.

Tue Nov 20, 2012, 11:11 PM

5. You Might Be Interested...

...in a study that was done many years ago asking the question...what kind of children grow up to become Democrats and which ones become Republicans. I don't have a link or anything. But it was very interesting. They took a sample number of 5 year old children and did an personality inventory of them. The results and files on these children were stored away and not reopened for about 25 years. What they discovered was quite interesting. Children who were less sociable and tended to take less risks generally grew up to be Republicans. While children that interacted more with other students and tended to take more risks generally grew up to be Democrats. There were a bunch of other traits that I can't remember that sort of hit the nail on the head. I should look up that study sometime.

-Paige

On Edit; I just looked up and saw that someone else posted something very similar.

-P

Tue Nov 20, 2012, 11:32 PM

6. 60 Minutes had a story about children on Sunday.

Your sister's mind on sharing never grew past 5-7 years old. What scientists have found out is that young children are selfish, they always take the choice that will penalize a rival. As children got older, they became more willing to sacrifice and give their rival an advantage knowing that doing so would benefit them later.

Response to bluestate10 (Reply #6)

Tue Nov 20, 2012, 11:37 PM

7. Animals are better at it

This video is great

&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Response to bluestate10 (Reply #6)

Tue Nov 20, 2012, 11:47 PM

9. That's certainly interesting enough and it explains a few things

Among them is the way most conservatives insist you can't possibly be a moral person without religion.

The translation is that they can't possibly be moral people unless the moral direction comes from outside themselves. it's just not there like it is in the rest of us.

Response to Warpy (Reply #9)

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 12:00 AM

13. Very interesting

nt

Tue Nov 20, 2012, 11:41 PM

8. Yes! My rightwinger Aunt told a story last year about how her wallet

was stolen from her purse at the grocery store. And demanded the store manager lock the doors until the thief was found or something like that. So sure she'd been wronged.

She left the damn thing in the car. She just assumes the worst about people. It was shocking to her that she'd screwed up because you know, people are after her stuff surely.

Tue Nov 20, 2012, 11:53 PM

10. I'm the opposite.

I'm the only Democrat in a family full of people like your sister. The last 5 years my grandmother was here, my kids & I took Thanksgiving to her. Set her table w/ her nice linen, china, silver & crystal. It was a small thing to do to give her that pleasure. (It also gave her live in caregiver the day w/ her family). We were the only family members who ever did it.

Response to xxqqqzme (Reply #10)

Tue Nov 20, 2012, 11:57 PM

12. Very nice

Those little things mean so much. That's what I was thinking. We are all we have sometimes, a small or big gesture means so much.

Tue Nov 20, 2012, 11:55 PM

11. Studies posted here...

Differences in Conservative and Liberal Brains
16 peer-reviewed studies show liberals and conservatives physiologically different

In the 16 peer-reviewed scientific studies summarized below, researchers found that liberals and conservatives have different brain structures, different physiological responses to stimuli, and activate different neural mechanisms when confronted with similar situations. Each entry below references the source document and a PDF of each study has been included. The studies are arranged from most recent to oldest.

http://2012election.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=004818