HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » I hope to have egg on my ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 06:10 PM

I hope to have egg on my face over Obama and "entitlements"

I will fully embrace DUers saying "I told you so". I'll happily admit that I was a fool to even suggest that President Barack Obama and the Democratic Party would raise the retirement age or do anything to cut Social Security, Medicare or Medicaid benefits.

Deal? Deal.

(With the caveat that the left raising hell about this might have given them food for thought.)

32 replies, 3106 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 32 replies Author Time Post
Reply I hope to have egg on my face over Obama and "entitlements" (Original post)
UnrepentantLiberal Nov 2012 OP
ismnotwasm Nov 2012 #1
SidDithers Nov 2012 #2
rhett o rick Nov 2012 #3
SidDithers Nov 2012 #4
dionysus Nov 2012 #5
1StrongBlackMan Nov 2012 #6
RomneyLies Nov 2012 #7
rhett o rick Nov 2012 #8
SidDithers Nov 2012 #11
UnrepentantLiberal Nov 2012 #15
UnrepentantLiberal Nov 2012 #17
Son of Gob Nov 2012 #20
sharp_stick Nov 2012 #22
sabrina 1 Nov 2012 #26
Whisp Nov 2012 #29
rhett o rick Nov 2012 #18
UnrepentantLiberal Nov 2012 #9
A Simple Game Nov 2012 #10
Son of Gob Nov 2012 #21
A Simple Game Nov 2012 #23
Son of Gob Nov 2012 #25
A Simple Game Nov 2012 #27
Son of Gob Nov 2012 #28
SidDithers Nov 2012 #30
A Simple Game Nov 2012 #31
SidDithers Nov 2012 #32
joshcryer Nov 2012 #12
UnrepentantLiberal Nov 2012 #13
joshcryer Nov 2012 #14
ProSense Nov 2012 #16
SomethingFishy Nov 2012 #24
customerserviceguy Nov 2012 #19

Response to UnrepentantLiberal (Original post)

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 06:16 PM

1. You know

It's a discussion board. So you discuss, right?

Egg comes right off. I hope you're wrong as well.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 06:37 PM

2. You mean you won't think he's a "lying republican" anymore?...nt

Sid

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 06:50 PM

3. By his quotes, it appears that Sid thinks you said that Pres Obama was a "lying republican".

Or maybe that's just what he thinks you think. Not sure but thinking what Sid thinks you're thinking may be a TOS offense.

Reply to this post

Response to rhett o rick (Reply #3)

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 06:52 PM

4. I can provide the link if you want, or you can check UL's transparency page...nt

Sid

Reply to this post

Response to SidDithers (Reply #4)

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 06:53 PM

5. boom

vaht?

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 06:54 PM

6. Oops! n/t

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 07:01 PM

7. Just looked in on the transparency page.

"Wow" would be an understatement.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 07:17 PM

8. Wow is right. Excuse me for doubting you Sid. Why didnt he get PPRD? nm

Reply to this post

Response to rhett o rick (Reply #8)

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 07:58 PM

11. Dunno...nt

Sid

Reply to this post

Response to SidDithers (Reply #11)

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 09:54 PM

17. you are not an American!

Do not threaten me or brad with having intellectual conversations, and debates. You want your 2 cents... Become an American! We are intelligent open minded people who like open discussion, exactly why sites like this were developed, an open forum for discourse.
Regards,
Carrie

Edit to add:

By the way he is not American, but full of opinions.

Reply to this post

Response to UnrepentantLiberal (Reply #17)

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 10:50 PM

20. Is brad a xenophobe too or just Carrie?

How many of you post with this username? Is there a whole family? When is it Pee Paw or Aunt Judy's turn?

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 20, 2012, 11:34 AM

22. Only a first grade douchenozzle

would assume you have to be an American before you can have an opinion. But hey, that's just my opinion.

Reply to this post

Response to sharp_stick (Reply #22)

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 09:00 PM

26. You know what Sid's political opinions are? I have to admit I have no

clue. He never seems to talk about issues. Most of his opinions seem to be about other DUers. Can you link me to some of his political positions?

Eg, where does he stand on the most important issue of SS and the right wing lies about it? If you know and his position is a Progressive Democratic position, then I could see your point. Right now though, I have no idea.

I welcome the opinions of people from other countries who support our Democratic principles. And I feel the same way about people who are trying to destroy our Social Safety net in other countries as I do about those Right Wingers who are doing so here.

Nothing to do with where someone lives, it has everything to do with whether they have right wing or left views as far as I am concerned.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 22, 2012, 01:49 PM

29. what bullshit. talk to Skinner then and have him delete all non American accounts.

jesus friggen cripes what mounds of horsehit

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 10:10 PM

18. No way. You dont know? I thought you ran the shaddow DU. nm

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 07:22 PM

9. I have nothing to hide.

I voted for Obama. I drove to Ohio to canvas for Obama in 08 because I cared so much. (I took Friday off and canvased for him in a swing state to do that. I cared.

I'm happy that the United State's first person of color was elected to a second term. Does that mean that I have to bite my tongue? That I can't criticize him? That I have lost my voice and must bow to him no matter what he does like he's my Lord?... I think differently.

Your silence speaks volumes. You've done nothing. You don't get involved. You don't seem to much care other than the gotcha posts followed by the

I look in the mirror and see an honest person looking back at me. You look in the mirror and see a t___ looking back at you. I would feel sad if I were you. (But that's just me.)

Reply to this post

Response to UnrepentantLiberal (Reply #9)

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 07:56 PM

10. Don't waste your time, Sid's not an American citizen.

Reply to this post

Response to A Simple Game (Reply #10)

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 10:54 PM

21. Xenophobia isn't just a Teabagger trait

or is it?

Reply to this post

Response to Son of Gob (Reply #21)

Tue Nov 20, 2012, 12:54 PM

23. Xenophobia doesn't have anything to do with it.

Why is it the first thing that comes to your mind?

I just don't have any respect for someone that has no dog in the fight but still whats to stir up the brown stuff.

Reply to this post

Response to A Simple Game (Reply #23)

Tue Nov 20, 2012, 03:04 PM

25. You're xenophobic and you don't even realize it.

You don't think people from other countries have a dog in this fight? Is it just Sid or do you think we should ban all the foreigners on DU?

I think it's hilarious that Sid brings out the xenophobes among us because he has the gall to support Democrats on Democratic Underground. How dare he! He's a Canadian! We all know they're in the axis of evil! Let's build a fence at the border!

Reply to this post

Response to Son of Gob (Reply #25)

Thu Nov 22, 2012, 02:19 AM

27. Did you learn a new word? Good for you, you must be proud of yourself.

No, I am not xenophobic, and most especially not about Canadians. I am only one generation removed from being Canadian. My mother came to America from Quebec in her teens.

Speaking of hate, why do you feel the need to call names? All you know about me is my DU name and already I'm xenophobic and a teabagger.

So you think Canadians should have a say in American politics? How about North Koreans? Iranians? Is there a line you draw, if so where? I have no line drawn for meddling in other nations internal affairs, it should not be done, period. You will probably think me un-American because I don't think we should be meddling in other countries affairs either. Our track record is not very good anyway.

Now as for Sid, I could care less that he is Canadian. I will repeat, he likes to stir the brown stuff and never contributes to a thread except to denigrate other posters. He certainly thinks many on DU are trolls. As for supporting Democrats, Sid doesn't support Democrats on DU, he supports the conservatives on DU, as I suspect by your associations, so do you.

Reply to this post

Response to A Simple Game (Reply #27)

Thu Nov 22, 2012, 01:44 PM

28. This is a message board. People from other countries are welcome.

Just because someone doesn't live in America doesn't mean their opinions are invalid. It doesn't mean they have no stake in which party runs our country. What we do as a country affects the entire world. A foreigner posting here is not meddling with our internal affairs, they're posting on a message board. This isn't the government. If admins wanted to bar foreigners they'd do it. You don't get to try run people off because they're different from you. What's next, you want people to supply documentation to prove they're American? Who does that remind me of?

As for Sid, if you didn't care he's Canadian you would not mention that he wasn't American in the first place. Did you forget you did that? Your views on foreigners, lumping Canada in with the "Axis of Evil" , is far more conservative than anything I've seen Sid post. You're not fooling me with your simple minded game.

Edit : BTW if someone from Iran or North Korea wanted to post here and supported Democrats, why wouldn't I be OK with that? Why wouldn't you be OK with that?

xe·no·phobe : fear and hatred of strangers or foreigners or of anything that is strange or foreign

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/xenophobe

Reply to this post

Response to A Simple Game (Reply #27)

Thu Nov 22, 2012, 02:35 PM

30. ROFL...

So, the OP of this thread calls the newly re-elected President a "lying Republican" on DU, the day after the election. I criticize the OP for their bashing of Obama, and I'm the one you're shitting on for allegedly not supporting Democrats on DU.

The mind boggles.

And here's a link to one of my favourite threads from DU2:
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=437&topic_id=2545

Sid

Reply to this post

Response to SidDithers (Reply #30)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 03:12 PM

31. So how do you support Democrats on or off this board?

Do you do it by making accusations?

Do you do it by dragging up and or alerting on 3 month old posts?

And even in this thread, when the OP says he hopes he is wrong in thinking negative thoughts about President Obama's lack of commitment to Social Security and Medicare you try to find something wrong with that. You didn't say you hope he is wrong too. So step up to the plate Sid, tell us where you stand on our Social Security, Medicaid, and Medicare. Your fans would like to know.

Have you ever had a positive thought? Have you ever done or said something positive on DU. No troll hunting doesn't count, not even cheer leading.

Last but not least, do you deny being a conservative?

Reply to this post

Response to A Simple Game (Reply #31)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 10:29 PM

32. ...

Sid

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 08:24 PM

12. I think he will raise Medicare retirement age and raise deductibles starting in 2017.

Heard it here first.

I am not sure on Social Security. It's a mixed bag so I can't commit either way. His policy positions suggest he won't touch it but it's really iffy since he refuses to take it off the table.

Reply to this post

Response to joshcryer (Reply #12)

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 09:06 PM

13. Why would a Democrat do what Ronakd Reagan would do?

Why would a Democrat farm our jobs out to other countries and deregulate everything? Why would a Democrat drill on the Coasts and Alaska with no regulation when he knows it is going on the open market and has nothing to do with America's "energy independence"? Why?

Reply to this post

Response to UnrepentantLiberal (Reply #13)

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 09:15 PM

14. That's the state of things.

I didn't support him in the primaries.

Reply to this post

Response to joshcryer (Reply #12)

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 09:44 PM

16. I don't think that will happen

Nobody wants that.

A chastened AARP fights Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid cuts
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/11/19/1163170/-A-chastened-AARP-fights-Social-Security-Medicare-Medicaid-nbsp-cuts

Pelosi and Reid Have OBAMA's BACK: No Social Security Cuts & Taxes MUST Be RAISED On The RICH
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10021843971

Frankly, President Obama only has to do one of two things: strengthen these programs or leave them alone.

Also, a lot of Democrats have already taken a stand against cuts.

Democratic Senator Introduces Bill To Lift Social Security’s Tax Cap, Extend Solvency For Decades
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10021834952

Do Not Cut Social Security

September 20, 2012

A major bloc of 29 senators took a strong stand today against any cuts to Social Security as part of a deficit reduction deal. "We will oppose including Social Security cuts for future or current beneficiaries in any deficit reduction package," the senators said in a letter circulated by Sen. Bernie Sanders, the founder of the Senate Defending Social Security Caucus. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and Sen. Charles Schumer, the Senate's No. 3 leader, signed the letter. So did Sens. Mark Begich, Sheldon Whitehouse and Al Franken, who joined Sanders at a Capitol news conference.

Social Security has not contributed to the deficit or to the national debt, the senators said. The program that benefits more than 50 million retirees, widows, widowers, orphans and disabled Americans has a $2.7 trillion surplus and, according to actuaries, will be able to pay every benefit owed to every eligible recipient for the next 21 years.

"Contrary to some claims, Social Security is not the cause of our nation's deficit problem. Not only does the program operate independently, but it is prohibited from borrowing," the letter said. "Even though Social Security operates in a fiscally responsible manner, some still advocate deep benefit cuts and seem convinced that Social Security hands out lavish welfare checks. But Social Security is not welfare. Seniors earned their benefits by working and paying into the system," the letter added.

Social Security has not contributed to deficits because it has a dedicated funding stream. Workers and employers each pay half of a 12.4 percent payroll tax on the first $110,100 of a worker's wages. The tax rate for employees was reduced to 4.2 percent in 2011 and 2012, but is scheduled to return to 6.2 percent in January.

To read the letter, click here »

http://www.sanders.senate.gov/newsroom/news/?id=066FB085-5798-4E6C-ABA2-85549D84DFA6

Other signatories:

Sens. Jack Reed (D-R.I.), Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio), Ron Wyden (D-Ore.), Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.), Ben Cardin (D-Md.), Debbie Stabenow (D-Mich.), Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.), Tom Harkin (D-Iowa), Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.), Frank Lautenberg (D-N.J.), Barbara Mikulski (D-Md.), Patty Murray (D-Wash.), Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.), Maria Cantwell (D-Wash.), Daniel Akaka (D-Hawaii), Tim Johnson (D-S.D.), John D. Rockefeller IV (D-W.Va.), Daniel Inouye (D-Hawaii), Tom Udall (D-N.M.), Robert Menendez (D-N.J.), Carl Levin (D-Mich.), Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) and Joe Manchin III (D-W.Va.)

This doesn't include Elizabeth Warren and other new Senators.

Democratic Senator Introduces Bill To Lift Social Security’s Tax Cap, Extend Solvency For Decades
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10021834952

Reply to this post

Response to ProSense (Reply #16)

Tue Nov 20, 2012, 01:01 PM

24. See now this worries me..

Normally you get all self righteous on people who dare claim that Obama may cut S.S. or Medicare. Now you are saying "I don't think it will happen".

To see ProSense back off of staunch support worries me more than anything.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 10:12 PM

19. I have to admit

I share your fears.

I guess I just remember too well the lame duck session a mere two years ago. The President folded like a card table from Big Lots.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread