HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Benghazi or “Watching Rep...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 03:33 PM

Benghazi or “Watching Republicans Strangle Themselves”

http://www.politicalgarbagechute.com/benghazi-or-watching-republicans-strangle-themselves/

Benghazi or “Watching Republicans Strangle Themselves”
November 19, 2012
by James Schlarmann

Say it with me…”Benghazi IS NOT Watergate.”

Of course, if you’re not one of the Republicans in Congress who are continuing to pursue the Benghazi story, repeating over and over that Benghazi is not Watergate may not do any good. Even in the face of now resigned General David Petraeus’ testimony that the reason the administration withheld information they had linking the September 11th, 2012 attacks on our consular building in Benghazi to Al Qaeda was simply to not tip the terrorist group off to the fact that we knew it was them, Republicans were all over the Sunday news shows debating whether or not there’s more to this story in terms of a cover up. But as Petraeus’ testimony so clearly shows, there was indeed an effort to keep details of the attack from the public, but that it is no different than when police detectives withhold key pieces of evidence in a murder case so as not to tip-off a suspect that they are on the hot seat. That explanation is apparently not good enough when you’re a member of a political party who was just very publicly and emphatically rejected in a national election.

So it’s becoming clear that Republicans in Washington are increasingly anxious to create some kind of scandal to get President Obama thrown out of office. Perhaps they view it as their only way of being able to stop him from getting the Bush Tax Cuts to expire on homes making more than $250,000 annually. Whatever the reason, they see this as their Watergate. They see this as their little story that mushrooms into a massive cover up that so enrages the American public that they have no choice but to toss his ass out of office. The problem is, the facts of the incident just don’t point towards that scenario playing out to their benefit.

snip//

There’s an admittedly cold and cynical side of me that hopes the GOP doesn’t let go of this new chew toy of theirs and they take it to the furthest point they can, all the while ignoring the fiscal cliff. It’s clear from the evidence that this story is dead in the water, but that didn’t stop Rep. Darrel Issa from charging after the Obama administration over the so-called “Fast & Furious” scandal, so why would that stop the Republicans now when dealing with Benghazi? If the overall goal is to rehabilitate the Republican party into a group of people who may not agree with us ideologically, but who at least operate from a starting point based in reality, maybe they need to chase the rabbit down the hole on Benghazi. I can’t imagine that if they ignore the fiscal cliff voters will be very forgiving. I can’t imagine that if they stall on tax talks or stall on immigration reform that 2014 will have a very rosy outcome for them, so maybe giving them enough rope to do the job themselves is precisely what the left should be doing.

The identity crisis that the Republican party finds themselves in is exemplified perfectly in this dust-up over Benghazi. Despite mounting and concrete evidence to the contrary, many vocal Republicans are choosing to live in an alternate reality. In their reality Ambassador Rice was complicit to a grand cover-up for political reasons of a tragedy in the Middle East. In their reality the administration botched the job because four Americans died, but when the same things happened under Dubya’s term it was just part of the war on terror to expect collateral damage, I guess. The Republican identity crisis is actually good for everyone, no matter what side of the aisle you stand on, because when the dust settles we’ll either have one Republican party that still believes in all the bat shit crazy things they do now and Democrats will continue to marginalize them in national elections, or we’ll have a Republican party that has either ejected or silenced their old, angry white guy contingent and we can get down to solving problems in this country.

And I’m not sure which outcome I’m hoping for the most, by the way.

11 replies, 1734 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply Benghazi or “Watching Republicans Strangle Themselves” (Original post)
babylonsister Nov 2012 OP
freshwest Nov 2012 #1
Doctor_J Nov 2012 #2
babylonsister Nov 2012 #4
grasswire Nov 2012 #3
thucythucy Nov 2012 #5
Dark n Stormy Knight Nov 2012 #7
Qutzupalotl Nov 2012 #6
babylonsister Nov 2012 #8
Cha Nov 2012 #9
jollyreaper2112 Nov 2012 #10
Warren DeMontague Nov 2012 #11

Response to babylonsister (Original post)

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 03:39 PM

1. Yes, Obama is going to let those Tax Cuts expire, so we're happily...

“Watching Republicans Strangle Themselves.”

Couldn't happen to a nicer group of cutthroats.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 03:39 PM

2. Ah, yes. the "GOP are killing themselves" meme

for the 4 millionth time since 1994. It has never been true, and isn't now. The crazier they get, the more people vote for them (ref. 2010)

Reply to this post

Response to Doctor_J (Reply #2)

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 03:48 PM

4. Not so (ref. 2012). nt

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 03:40 PM

3. It's just SOP for Pugs

Remember what they did to Bill Clinton first term?

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 03:50 PM

5. You'd think the GOP would shy away

from bringing up "Watergate" as the mother of all political scandals. After all, Watergate was first and foremost a Republican abuse of power, followed by a Republican coverup, resulting in the impeachment and resignation of a Republican president.

It reminds me of FDR, campaigning for re-election I think in 1940. He told this joke about how the Republicans were saying his policies would bring on "another depression." Roosevelt made this comment about how "there's this rather lugubrious old saying how you should never mention rope in the house of a man who's been hanged. I would think the last word in the entire language a Republican would want to use in mixed company is that word, 'Depression.'"

Same thing with "Watergate." Do they really want to remind us all just how stunningly corrupt Republicans can be, once in power?

Reply to this post

Response to thucythucy (Reply #5)

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 08:23 PM

7. They're used to uninformed people being stirred up about things when instructed by FoxNoise to get

stirred up them. Facts are not allowed. It's worked pretty well for them, so I don't see them giivng it up in the near future.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 07:57 PM

6. Benghazi is the new birth certificate.

No matter how many questions you answer, they ask again.

Reply to this post

Response to Qutzupalotl (Reply #6)

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 08:31 PM

8. Exactly. Nice comparison and it fits. nt

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 09:53 PM

9. Brwawawawaaa.. I like James Schlarmann.. I remember his name associated with

with other good articles.. thanks babylonsistah!

There’s an admittedly cold and cynical side of me that hopes the GOP doesn’t let go of this new chew toy of theirs and they take it to the furthest point they can, all the while ignoring the fiscal cliff. It’s clear from the evidence that this story is dead in the water, but that didn’t stop Rep. Darrel Issa from charging after the Obama administration over the so-called “Fast & Furious” scandal, so why would that stop the Republicans now when dealing with Benghazi? If the overall goal is to rehabilitate the Republican party into a group of people who may not agree with us ideologically, but who at least operate from a starting point based in reality, maybe they need to chase the rabbit down the hole on Benghazi. I can’t imagine that if they ignore the fiscal cliff voters will be very forgiving. I can’t imagine that if they stall on tax talks or stall on immigration reform that 2014 will have a very rosy outcome for them, so maybe giving them enough rope to do the job themselves is precisely what the left should be doing.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 20, 2012, 03:41 AM

10. If I produced popular entertainment

Stuff with a following and mystery, I would deliberately leak convincing but wrong stories to the press just to fuck with heads.

If I were the president, I would deliberately leak supporting evidence for more wingnuttery. Like the original birth certificate was in the consulate and that's why a crack team of death commandos personally loyal to Obama went in and got it back, praise Allah.

I would also let slip rumors that I as president routinely consult a severed head that speaks for the demon Baphomet and use the blood of Christian infants to make my bread. Oh, and fluoride in the drinking water lowers testosterone counts and inhibitions against communism and sodomy. And this conspiracy goes all the way to the top!

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 20, 2012, 04:47 AM

11. And the GOP House Intelligence Committee was briefed on Sept. 14 on it, which is why

they've had a hard-on for this "story" from the word go.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57551820/congress-to-investigate-cia-talking-points-on-benghazi/

See, but they started playing politics with this privileged information they received, as part of the House Intelligence Cmte, immediately- because they knew one thing, and Susan Rice was saying something else.

So they went to their buddies at FOX, etc. thinking they had a "gotcha" moment.

But it looks to me like they were playing politics with privileged intelligence information and jeopardizing an ongoing operation.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread