HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Forecast: Drought And Mor...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 12:38 PM

Forecast: Drought And More Drought

David Miskus of NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center explains why this drought persists:
… a persistent ridge of high pressure located over the central Rockies kept the Southwest, Great Basin, and southern halves of the Rockies and Plains unseasonably mild and dry. The weakened Pacific storm systems were diverted northeastward into south-central Canada by the ridge, then southeastward by the eastern trough into the northern Plains, lower Missouri Valley, the Delta, and across the Southeast.
No doubt this persistent high-pressure system and the prolonged drought are just more coincidental weather events in this year of record low Arctic sea ice and coincidental uber-extreme events (see Arctic Death Spiral: How It Favors Extreme, Prolonged Weather Events “Such As Drought, Flooding, Cold Spells And Heat Waves“).
The three-month drought outlook from NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center isn’t pretty:

Sadly, the scientific literature makes clear this is going to be the new normal in the coming decades for the U.S. Southwest and “Breadbasket of the World” if we don’t rapidly and sharply reverse global carbon pollution trends:
We’re Already Topping Dust Bowl Temperatures — Imagine What’ll Happen If We Fail To Stop 10°F Warming
James Hansen Is Correct About Catastrophic Projections For U.S. Drought If We Don’t Act Now
My Nature Piece On Dust-Bowlification And the Grave Threat It Poses to Food Security
The Shape Of Droughts To Come: “The United States will suffer a series of severe droughts in the next two decades, according to a new study published in the journal Nature Climate Change. Moreover, global warming will play an increasingly important role in their abundance and severity….”

I can't remember where I read this but one climate scientist wrote that in the future potable water will be so precious that wars will be fought over it.

0 replies, 318 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Reply to this thread