HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Election Officials Releas...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 02:40 PM

Election Officials Release Vote Counting Code To The Public

Another report I have missed?

We have all these people on DU claiming that it is CT to suggest that elections can be hacked.

My challenge to them is to prove themselves by having the code that counts votes be released to the public.

I know they will not do any such thing. The accusers of the people who only wish to ensure a fair count will not do anything solid to back themselves up. They will only cast aspersions and call us names.

How do I know they are total failures? Because if they go ask to see the code, they will be told to go fuck themselves. The code is, and will remain a secret unless someone like Anonymous releases it.

8 replies, 826 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Election Officials Release Vote Counting Code To The Public (Original post)
RobertEarl Nov 2012 OP
brooklynite Nov 2012 #1
RobertEarl Nov 2012 #2
brooklynite Nov 2012 #3
RobertEarl Nov 2012 #4
brooklynite Nov 2012 #5
RobertEarl Nov 2012 #6
brooklynite Nov 2012 #7
RobertEarl Nov 2012 #8

Response to RobertEarl (Original post)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 03:09 PM

1. I've never argued that they CAN'T be hacked...

...I've argued that they AREN'T being hacked, given:

1) the lack of evidence of an organized conspiracy big enough to pull this off (it's not as simple as Karl Rove calling the head of Diebold; it required engineers, programmers, statisticians, etc.)

2) the factbthat No candiate, elected official or Party leader has alledged, much less formally charged that hacking has occurred. They can't ALL be less clever than the bloggers in figuring this out.

And finally...

3) Republicans keep spending their time and money the old fashioned way: voter ID laws, voter harrassment, reduced polling hours, etc.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to brooklynite (Reply #1)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 03:17 PM

2. Go ask to see the code

Then maybe you will wonder why they are hiding the code from you.

As for the idea that the code does not work as advertised there are many cases of handcounts proving miscounts by the computers. You should know that, and that puts your whole case to shame.

Do you know what HAVA is? Do you know who put that together and passed it through congress? Hint: Same people who passed the Patriot Act.

No conspiring to take away our rights and gain power over us? Really? Is that what you believe?

Reply to this post

Response to RobertEarl (Reply #2)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 04:12 PM

3. Not my job to prove a negative...

When someone whose reputation I trust (and I know a lot of people in Ohio politics personally) tells me there's a problem, I'll get worried.

Reply to this post

Response to brooklynite (Reply #3)

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 12:42 AM

4. SoS Bruhner (sp?)

The former SoS, did you know her?

Well, she did come out and say there was a problem.

What ever happened to her?

Reply to this post

Response to RobertEarl (Reply #4)

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 08:23 PM

5. WHAT did they say?

Did she talk about vulnerability, or did she talk about actual tampering? Did she file criminal charges? Challenge the outcome of an election?

The bottom line is that I'm being asked to believe a bunch of hackers is smarter than the Obama campaign. i'll stick with the group that won Ohio AND Virginia AND Florida AND New Hampshire AND...

Reply to this post

Response to brooklynite (Reply #5)

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 10:20 PM

6. Well, hey

I thought you knew Ohio politicians. Heck she's even a Democrat. Figured you were all up on all that...

Let's see... working from memory here.... She had a top to bottom review of the system and the report showed all kinds of problems with Ohio's system.... Punchcards, Opscans and DRE's. A real mess.

Besides that there were several people who did go to jail for messing with ballots.

Her time in office must have really pissed off the republicans. Where is she now? You might ask one of your friends.

Ever hear of cyber-crime? Where hackers get into banks and steal money? E-vote theft is the same process as cyber-crime. Hell, it is a cyber-crime.

Reply to this post

Response to RobertEarl (Reply #6)

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 11:47 PM

7. ...and PROVE to me that e-vote theft exists...

NOT that there's a vulnerability, but that there's actual evidence.

I know a former US Congressman who lost in Ohio in 2010; he never alleged that his loss was due to e-vote hacking.

I know a major Congressional candidiate who lost in Ohio in 2008; she never alleged that her loss was due to e-vote hacking

I know one of the top people in the Ohio Democratic Party (who gave me a personal update on Election Day). I SPECIFICALLY asked her if there was any concern about e-vote hacking. She said the ODP and the Obama people had looked into the issue, and their answer was "NO".

And before you respond, let me ask YOU a question: what would it actually take to convince you that no -e-vote theft occurred?

Reply to this post

Response to brooklynite (Reply #7)

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 11:59 PM

8. Answer

If cyber-crime was totally eliminated, if there were no such thing as cyber-crime, I could believe that e-vote could not be hacked.

You need to read this link with an open mind. It lays out the 2004 theft in Ohio pretty good.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10021853278

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread