HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » From Howard Dean to Ameri...

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 01:14 PM

From Howard Dean to America

I got this from Howard's usual email, not his private one, so I assume some of you got this as well. I deleted the part where he specifically asked for contributions, so as to not violate any policy against that, if there is one, but I did leave a link to the project's website, in case anyone is curious to see what the project is about. Howard is doing just what he told me he'd be doing almost 4 years ago--raising hell for caluses he believes in. Compare this to what W and Rolls-Romney are doing these days!------------------->

As you read this email, I am in rural Thailand near the border with Burma with 20 mostly young people from all over the world who have walked over 200 miles so far to raise money for five organizations on five continents which fight human trafficking. The whole 15-day walk was organized by a 23-year-old American woman and a 23-year-old Thai woman who met while volunteering for victims of Thailand's devastating floods in 2011.
This was not from his personal email, but from his mass list email, so I assume some of you got this as well. I deleted the part where he was asking for contributions, just to be sure I wasn't violating any policy here. I did not delete the link to the project's website, so that anyone curious to see what he is involved with can find out. Compare this with what W and Rolls-Romney are doing these days:

Yesterday was my birthday, which I spent on this walk. I would love it, as a birthday present, if you could go to FreedomToWalk.org, learn more, and to work to prevent trafficking.

Human trafficking is, short of genocide, the most evil form of humans devaluing other human beings. The traffickers make money by exploiting children and adults of both genders not only for sex, but for forced labor. Governments often turn a blind eye because of corruption, or simply because this is a hard problem to deal with and powerful people in or near governments make a lot of money if they don't have to pay a workforce.

The most vulnerable are the likeliest victims. Adolescent girls in the US and abroad are sold into brothels after they are lied to about legitimate job opportunities. Small children are simply kidnapped in India or Africa to provide 15-hour days of labor for no compensation. Even able-bodied men in China are forced into a cycle of indentured servitude all over the world, from which they cannot escape.

A lot of progress has been made. Moldova, which was one of the most notorious centers for traffickers in Europe, has made huge strides in reducing trafficking based there. And President Obama made fighting against traffickers one of the main issues in his speech to the UN this year.

For my birthday, I ask that you support my efforts, so we can bring awareness and hopefully an end to this international travesty.

This has been a long, hard political year, and for the most part, we won a lot more than we lost. But I remind you that the purpose of these political fights is to create real change. We won the election. Now we have to act to force change. Keep up the fight. www.FreedomToWalk.org

Warmly, and another year older,

-Howard

Gov. Howard Dean, M.D.

9 replies, 891 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply From Howard Dean to America (Original post)
DFW Nov 2012 OP
msongs Nov 2012 #1
freshwest Nov 2012 #2
DFW Nov 2012 #3
hootinholler Nov 2012 #4
JNelson6563 Nov 2012 #5
DFW Nov 2012 #6
JNelson6563 Nov 2012 #9
onecent Nov 2012 #7
ananda Nov 2012 #8

Response to DFW (Original post)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 01:16 PM

1. "where have you gone howard dean, our nation turns its lonely eyes to you" nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 01:17 PM

2. Thanks D and thanks Howard! This is what will heal the planet.

Reply to this post

Response to freshwest (Reply #2)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 01:25 PM

3. Only if people care

It's still SOOOO easy to look the other way.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 03:21 PM

4. Kicking for the good Dr. n/t

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 04:09 PM

5. Dr. Dean

Out to save the world. I love this guy.

Julie

Reply to this post

Response to JNelson6563 (Reply #5)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 05:49 PM

6. Howard has always been a big environmentalist, too

In 2009 when he went to Davos, it was as an environmentalist, not as a politician.

We could have used a few more like him in American politics--a few thousand more, for example.

Reply to this post

Response to DFW (Reply #6)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 07:56 PM

9. Yes, definitely!

More Howard Deans please!

Julie

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 05:51 PM

7. I love Dr. Dean!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 05:51 PM

8. Big kick!

Thank you, Howard Dean!

I wish we could get you back for the 50 state strategy in a couple of years!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread