HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » “Everybody has a right to...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 11:17 AM

“Everybody has a right to vote, but nobody in town knows anyone who’s black. How did that happen?"

Maine GOP boss: Sorry for ‘dozens of black people’ comment

National Monitor, Staff
November 17, 2012

The Republican Party is already in hot water for failing to help elect former Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney to the White House. Before the next presidential election in 2016, the GOP needs time to regroup and develop a strategy that takes into account the country’s changing voter demographics. Maine GOP boss Charlie Webster, however, hasn’t put his best foot forward for the GOP after making some controversial comments on Wednesday.

“In some parts of rural Maine, there were dozens, dozens of black people who came in and voted on Election Day,” Mr. Webster told WCSH-TV in Portland, Maine on Wednesday. “Everybody has a right to vote, but nobody in town knows anyone who’s black. How did that happen? I don’t know. We’re going to find out.”

Despite his assurance that “dozens of black people” voted in some areas of rural Maine, Mr. Webster was unable to provide any specifics on what parts of the state had experienced unusual voter turnout. However, the Maine Republican chairman said he was going to mail thank-you cards to newly registered voters to test for voter fraud. If some of the cards came back, Mr. Webster said, he would assume that some sort of voter fraud had taken place.

The Maine GOP boss, however, realized Thursday that the way that he worded his comments may have offended some people and he set out to clarify his remarks.

“I regret saying the word black because it wasn’t like I was singling out black,” Mr. Webster told TPM’s Ryan J. Reilly. “The reason I said it, ‘cause I don’t know where you live, but where I come from in rural Maine, it’s a small percentage of the population. I think we’re the whitest state in the country. So if you go to the polls and see people who are black, it’s unusual. And when you see a lot of people who are black, like six or eight or ten people, you think, ‘Wow, where do they live?’ That was my point.”

More: http://natmonitor.com/2012/11/17/maine-gop-boss-sorry-for-dozens-of-black-people-comment-video/

15 replies, 1442 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 15 replies Author Time Post
Reply “Everybody has a right to vote, but nobody in town knows anyone who’s black. How did that happen?" (Original post)
UnrepentantLiberal Nov 2012 OP
lalalu Nov 2012 #1
geckosfeet Nov 2012 #2
msanthrope Nov 2012 #3
ronnie624 Nov 2012 #4
proud2BlibKansan Nov 2012 #5
brokechris Nov 2012 #6
LiberalAndProud Nov 2012 #11
sigmasix Nov 2012 #7
Aristus Nov 2012 #8
GeorgeGist Nov 2012 #9
UnrepentantLiberal Nov 2012 #10
Brother Buzz Nov 2012 #13
UnrepentantLiberal Nov 2012 #14
butterfly77 Nov 2012 #12
UnrepentantLiberal Nov 2012 #15

Response to UnrepentantLiberal (Original post)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 11:18 AM

1. He still has not presented proof of

mysterious black people hiding in Maine. Maybe Stephen King can use this in his next book.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 11:20 AM

2. "Six or eight or ten people" - holy crap - this guy is severely out of touch - just like R$

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 11:21 AM

3. We need to keep a microphone on this guy at every opportunity. nt

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 11:29 AM

4. I think he's a racist wingnut who is full of shit.

A spokeswoman for the secretary of state’s office in Maine confirmed with POLITICO and The Associated Press that she hadn’t heard any complaint about voter turnout in the Pine Tree State.

“We haven’t received any phone calls regarding anyone concerned about voter fraud or anything along those lines,” Megan Sanborn, spokeswoman for Secretary of State Charlie Summers, told The AP.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 11:30 AM

5. But he plays basketball with a black guy every Sunday

Maybe that guy comes from a big family.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 11:32 AM

6. I guessing

small rural communities where everyone knows everyone.

I'm non-white and when I visited some of those rural Maine towns I stuck out like a sore thumb. And everyone knew I didn't live there--most of them knew each every family around going back generations.

Reply to this post

Response to brokechris (Reply #6)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 12:59 PM

11. I'm guessing he's prevaricating.

The voters in Maine filed no complaints about fraudulent voters (see post #4). This guy is looking to create voter fraud controversy out of whole cloth. But don't let that stop your thumb ache.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 11:38 AM

7. so he reiterated his racism?

How is it the fault of minorities that white racists in Maine like to pretend that they dont exist in thier communities? This racist POS needs some quality time with an industrial farming device in a dark barn. Hopefully while said barn is burning to the ground.
One cannot use evil means to acheive a good goal. Ever.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 11:41 AM

8. Sure, he regrets 'saying the word "black" '; he meant 'blah.' 'Blah people'.

Undoubtedly...

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 12:20 PM

9. According to the census ...

1.3% of Mainers are black.

Reply to this post

Response to GeorgeGist (Reply #9)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 12:50 PM

10. Meaning what?

Reply to this post

Response to UnrepentantLiberal (Reply #10)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 03:31 PM

13. Meaning that one would assume more than just a couple dozen black people voted in Maine

I'm just guessing

Reply to this post

Response to Brother Buzz (Reply #13)

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 12:24 PM

14. This is true.

Teabaggers are heroes for Democrats. They show the Republican base for what it really is: racist and stupid.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 03:15 PM

12. This is all over the country..

where a lot of teabaggers live in their own little world. They rarely see or interact with black people so that believe sterotypes and what they see on tv.So,if they don't see them they don't exist.

Reply to this post

Response to butterfly77 (Reply #12)

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 12:25 PM

15. See post #14.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread