HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Entitlements

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 10:33 AM

Entitlements

Of which Social Security and Welfare are neither, they are insurances against trouble that we all pay into. It's like considering paying car insurance an Entitlement - makes no sense.

But I can think of many real Entitlement programs:

- Banks making money with their special rates of borrowing against bond rates that make it impossible to lose money.
- Oil subsidies that reward the richest industry in the known Universe.
- Subsidized off shoring of jobs. Should be criminalized let alone rewarded.
- Free market Capitalism. Allows corporations to seek the cheapest labor in the known Universe.
- Untaxed Capital Gains. A gift to the super wealthy for being so wonderful.
- Social Security payments limited so the less you make, the bigger the chunk you pay.
- Resource manipulation: Or better known as Wall Street.
- CEO's payed in stock. When they sell they pay at the 15% level.
- Wars of choice.

These are but a few. "Twas Beast that killed Beauty"

6 replies, 569 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Entitlements (Original post)
salinen Nov 2012 OP
Sekhmets Daughter Nov 2012 #1
salinen Nov 2012 #2
Sekhmets Daughter Nov 2012 #3
salinen Nov 2012 #4
Sekhmets Daughter Nov 2012 #5
Dubster Nov 2012 #6

Response to salinen (Original post)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 10:42 AM

1. Neither Social Security nor Medicare are Insurance....

You can't make a creditable argument when you begin with a faulty premise.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the word entitlement...just because rethugs sneer when they say it, doesn't make it so. As a citizen you are entitled to vote. As an employee you are entitled to compensation. Democrats need to stop accepting as true the talking points of the immoral right wingers. You entered into a social contract that said if you will agree to pay for the social security and medicare benefits of your parents and grandparents, you will be entitled to the same support from your children and grandchildren. There is no vast pool of money collected and invested to cover your old age...your dollars have been spent on your parents and grandparents.

Your list of entitlements is also incorrect. Those are things to which no one is entitled...we have simply given them away as gifts.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Sekhmets Daughter (Reply #1)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 10:47 AM

2. My attempt at sarcasm

not so good.

Reply to this post

Response to salinen (Reply #2)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 10:54 AM

3. I replied only because

I have read that complaint about the word entitlement many times on DU. I've also read the "insurance" notion...thought maybe you needed a course correction. I didn't mean to offend you in any way. I think I know what you were attempting to say....

"Republicans sneer at the word entitlement, while giving gifts to their corporate buddies, gifts to which they seem to think they are entitled" Or something to that effect....

Reply to this post

Response to Sekhmets Daughter (Reply #3)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 11:24 AM

4. No worries

I didn't feel offended. I like corrections.

An entitlement is a guarantee of access to benefits based on established rights or by legislation. A "right" is itself an entitlement associated with a moral or social principle, such that an "entitlement" is a provision made in accordance with legal framework of a society. Typically, entitlements are laws based on concepts of principle ("rights") which are themselves based in concepts of social equality or enfranchisement.

In a casual sense, the term "entitlement" refers to a notion or belief that one (or oneself) is deserving of some particular reward or benefit—if given without deeper legal or principled cause, the term is often given with pejorative connotation (e.g. a "sense of entitlement").

Reply to this post

Response to salinen (Reply #4)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 11:37 AM

5. There you go!

Reply to this post

Response to salinen (Original post)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 11:42 AM

6. Spam deleted by gkhouston (MIR Team)

Reply to this post