HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » This Photo of Rescued Chi...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 11:01 PM

This Photo of Rescued Chimpanzees Mourning a Friend....

This really messed me up... a very sweet and sad story

this is from a few years back...

this is the first time I have seen the photo...

On September 23, 2008, Dorothy, a female chimpanzee in her late 40s, died of congestive heart failure. A maternal and beloved figure, Dorothy had spent eight years at Cameroon’s Sanaga-Yong Chimpanzee Rescue Center, which houses and rehabilitates chimps victimized by habitat loss and the illegal African bushmeat trade.

After a hunter killed her mother, Dorothy was sold as a “mascot” to an amusement park in Cameroon. For the next 25 years she was tethered to the ground by a chain around her neck, taunted, teased, and taught to drink beer and smoke cigarettes for sport. In May 2000 Dorothy—obese from poor diet and lack of exercise—was rescued and relocated along with ten other primates. As her health improved, her deep kindness surfaced. She mothered an orphaned chimp named Bouboule and became a close friend to many others, including Jacky, the group’s alpha male, and Nama, another amusement-park refugee.

Szczupider, who had been a volunteer at the center, told me: “Her presence, and loss, was palpable, and resonated throughout the group. The management at Sanaga-Yong opted to let Dorothy's chimpanzee family witness her burial, so that perhaps they would understand, in their own capacity, that Dorothy would not return. Some chimps displayed aggression while others barked in frustration. But perhaps the most stunning reaction was a recurring, almost tangible silence. If one knows chimpanzees, then one knows that are not silent creatures."

Sanaga-Yong was founded in 1999 by veterinarian Sheri Speede (pictured at right, cradling Dorothy’s head; at left is center employee Assou Felix). Operated by IDA-Africa, an NGO, it’s home to 62 chimps who reside in spacious, forested enclosures.

link

27 replies, 4197 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 27 replies Author Time Post
Reply This Photo of Rescued Chimpanzees Mourning a Friend.... (Original post)
trailmonkee Nov 2012 OP
DURHAM D Nov 2012 #1
merh Nov 2012 #2
EmeraldCityGrl Nov 2012 #19
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 #3
demhottie Nov 2012 #4
Sunlei Nov 2012 #16
Tx4obama Nov 2012 #5
silverweb Nov 2012 #6
flvegan Nov 2012 #7
LineLineNew Reply .
Warren Stupidity Nov 2012 #27
Eyes of the World Nov 2012 #8
catbyte Nov 2012 #9
AgingAmerican Nov 2012 #10
trailmonkee Nov 2012 #12
sabrina 1 Nov 2012 #15
trailmonkee Nov 2012 #22
AgingAmerican Nov 2012 #18
ErikJ Nov 2012 #11
trailmonkee Nov 2012 #13
Nika Nov 2012 #14
dem4ward Nov 2012 #17
defacto7 Nov 2012 #20
closeupready Nov 2012 #26
IDemo Nov 2012 #21
Odin2005 Nov 2012 #23
trailmonkee Nov 2012 #25
LineNew Reply .
myrna minx Nov 2012 #24

Response to trailmonkee (Original post)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 11:13 PM

1. That made my eyes leak.

Thanks for posting.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 11:15 PM

2. Animals mourn, we know that ...

Read this about elephants:

“A good man died suddenly,” says Rabbi Leila Gal Berner, Ph.D., “and from miles and miles away, two herds of elephants, sensing that they had lost a beloved human friend, moved in a solemn, almost ‘funereal’ procession to make a call on the bereaved family at the deceased man’s home.”

http://delightmakers.com/news/wild-elephants-gather-inexplicably-mourn-death-of-elephant-whisperer/

Added:

3 Animals that Have Funerals to Grieve for the Dead
http://www.theartofbehavior.com/3-animals-that-have-funerals-to-grieve-for-the-dead/

Reply to this post

Response to merh (Reply #2)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 01:59 AM

19. Great site and beautiful story.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 11:16 PM

3. Emotion is not just a human trait

When Tuky died, we saw our Nanday Cookie grieve. And I mean really grieve and cry over it's buddy, or at least that is what it looked like.

Every year, at the anniversary, Cookie is not a happy parrot...

And if anybody told me the story...

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 11:33 PM

4. What kind of fence is that?

Reply to this post

Response to demhottie (Reply #4)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 01:34 AM

16. electric

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 11:35 PM

5. A video tribute containing more photos below

A tribute to Dorothy the Chimpanzee

And below is a video recording of a different Chimpanzee

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 11:41 PM

6. K&R

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 11:45 PM

7. Pfft. Nonsense, just stupid animals, right?

That's why we eat them and experiment on them.

Right?

Reply to this post

Response to flvegan (Reply #7)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 09:13 PM

27. .

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 11:54 PM

8. Animals are people with fur

or feathers or scales or whatever...

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 11:59 PM

9. I'm still blown away by those wild elephants that a naturalist rehabbed & released

all came to pay their respects for 2 days after he died. These elephants were miles away and the man hadn't had regular contact with them for some time. How did they know he'd died? It was the most amazing thing I have ever read. Sorry I don't have a link on this mobile phone but google elephants paying respects and it willl come up. I love that Henry Beston quote about animals being other nations, caught with us in the web of time.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 12:35 AM

10. I had an anthropology professor that worked at the chimpanzee and human institute

In Ellensburg wa. The chimps he worked with knew sign language. He told us about a chimpanzee that befriended a kitten. They would play together in his cage. The kitten died, I can't remember why or how. The chimp was distraught when they showed him the dead kitten. He asked the chimp something to the effect of, "Where did the kitten go?" The chimp signed back "into a black hole". Chimpanzees are aware of death, and what it means to die. That story always struck me.

Seeing this article does not surprise me one bit. The chimps would combine signs to give names to things they saw. He said that one year they set up a Christmas tree in their research area, and one of the chimps named it "candy tree". There was a pond near their outdoor habitat where ducks would land and rest. He said one of the chimps would sign, "water bird" whenever it saw a duck. Even if the duck was just passing by overhead, the chimp would point and sign, "water bird". My professor, at the time he worked there, had red hair. One of the chimps named him "Red listen". The 'listen' part was because he wore a watch that had a loud tick.

My professor left and did not come back for 7 years. When he came back, to visit, the chimp immediately signed "red listen" to my professor, even though his hair had greyed. He remembered him. Chimps are highly intelligent, social critters.

Reply to this post

Response to AgingAmerican (Reply #10)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 01:00 AM

12. thank you

I read your comment to my daughter.... She was Very interested in the stories from your professor... Thank you

Reply to this post

Response to trailmonkee (Reply #12)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 01:27 AM

15. Your daughter might like the story of Koko, the Gorilla.

She has learned over 1000 signs and has been able to communicate her feelings to her handler. She has expressed sadness, joy. She too wanted a kitten and they gave her a toy thinking that would satisfy her, but it did not.

Koko

Koko is a 38 year-old lowland gorilla who
learned to speak American Sign Language
when she was just a baby. Her teacher,
Dr. Penny Patterson, began working with
Koko as a Ph.D. project at Stanford, thinking
it would only be a 4-year study.

Thirty-some years later, Penny and Koko
continue to work together at the Gorilla
Foundation in one of the longest
interspecies communication studies
ever conducted, the only one with gorillas. Koko now has a vocabulary of over 1000 signs, and understands even more
spoken English.

Koko has become famous not only for her language
capabilities, but also her heart-warming relationship with kittens (captured in the book Koko's Kitten).
As Penny says, "she's just as much a person as we are."

Koko Signs "Love"

Koko's greatest desire is to have a baby. She has indicated that she will teach her children sign language, which will engender the next generation of interspecies communication.

She is not the only Gorilla who has learned sign language and understands even more spoken language, but she is the most famous. I think there are books about her for children, well at least one, the one about her kitten.

Reply to this post

Response to sabrina 1 (Reply #15)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 10:33 AM

22. Amazing, Thank You

Reply to this post

Response to trailmonkee (Reply #12)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 01:55 AM

18. And thank you

Your daughter made my day!

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 12:39 AM

11. Orphaned Chimpanzee Sponsorships Make Great Gifts

Coincidentally, I've made donations to this center for years. Great organization.

Chimpanzee Sponsorships Make Great Gifts!
Sponsor an orphan at Sanaga-Yong Rescue Center and share in their lives as they grow, learn, play, love and enjoy new experiences with their chimpanzee family!

All of our chimpanzees available for sponsorship, including recent rescues Carla and Kanoa, are listed on our Sponsorship Page.

No matter their individual history, each orphan has suffered terribly. Some have been physically handicapped. All have deep emotional scars that take time to heal. They experience nightmares, a complete lack of trust, utter sadness and mourning for their loss, and sometimes difficulty adjusting, but their ability to eventually recover is inspiring.

At Sanaga-Yong Center, the chimpanzees live in lush, forested enclosures ~ free to climb trees, run, jump, and laugh and to form strong, loving bonds. Each finds his/her place within a social group and is given the opportunity to grow into the beautiful, healthy, happy individual he or she could never have become in captivity.

Sponsoring a chimpanzee helps provide their food, shelter and care. Make a difference in the life of a chimpanzee! Online Sponsorship Form

With your monthly donation (6 months or more) of $20 you receive... an 8x10 photograph of your chimpanzee, a full biography, periodic updates and photos, a Certificate of Sponsorship, and the satisfaction of knowing you have made a real difference!

Sponsorships make great gifts! Updates are sent to both you, the donor, and the friend or family member in whose name the sponsorship is made. 100% of donations support the Sanaga-Yong Chimpanzee Rescue Center.

http://www.ida-africa.org/index.php?page_id=366

Reply to this post

Response to ErikJ (Reply #11)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 01:19 AM

13. +1

Thanks

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 01:25 AM

14. Sad and beautiful story

Thanks for posting this.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 01:35 AM

17. Their breathtaking and so emotional.

Tears flowed reading this and then watching the video.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 02:25 AM

20. We have a dog that was very close to

a rabbit that we also kept. They both played together and ran in a field. If the rabbit went too far, our dog would herd him back to the house. When the rabbit died, our dog went into mourning. He didn't eat and refused to leave the grave of his friend for at least 2 days. Once he finally came in, he returned every day for over a week and just lay there, sometimes whining very softly. One day he reluctantly left the grave of his rabbit friend and got on with his dogness.

He now has another rabbit friend that he takes care of. I suppose he will do the same thing if he outlives her.

Animals are special people.

Reply to this post

Response to defacto7 (Reply #20)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 11:53 AM

26. Thank you for sharing that story.

Eyes misting over. Bittersweet.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 08:31 AM

21. I remember a photo from decades ago in National Geographic when I was in junior high

It showed a mother chimp in terrible grief cradling her dead infant. That picture made a big impact on my view of the animal world. Sorry, can't locate it now.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 10:40 AM

23. That make me cry!

Reply to this post

Response to Odin2005 (Reply #23)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 11:33 AM

25. sorry

Reply to this post