HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Lost in the fine print.
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 11:57 AM

Lost in the fine print.

Of all the possibilities being considered by various parties in this upcoming "grand bargain", raising the retirement age, closing tax loopholes, etc., one tax break being considered as an offering to the deficit gods is going unnoticed and unremarked. That is the elimination of the tax deduction that teachers get for purchasing school supplies.

It isn't a big deduction, up to $250, that's it. But for many teachers it is important. Virtually every teacher has to purchase classroom supplies of some sort or another, especially teachers that live in rural and urban school districts. Given that teachers' salaries aren't terribly much, an extra $250 in the pocket means a lot.

But according to NPR yesterday, this deduction could very well become a victim of the grand bargain, along with the mortgage deduction and other middle class tax deductions.

Given the attack on education that this administration has carried over from Bush, given the lack of respect, and money, that teachers are given in this country, eliminating this tax deduction will simply add insult to injury. Once again, it will be clear, teachers are to give of themselves, sacrificing money and time, all for the joy of helping children learn. Never mind that in reality, teachers are increasingly unable to afford to continue to be teachers. Apparently we are supposed to take a vow of poverty or something similar.

What would happen if teachers across the country simply refused to purchase classroom supplies? Paper, pencils, scissors, all those small but vital things that keep a classroom running smoothly. Perhaps the general public would finely wake up. I doubt it however, more than likely teachers will simply be blamed once more, as we are always blamed for all of societies ills.

2 replies, 439 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Lost in the fine print. (Original post)
MadHound Nov 2012 OP
elehhhhna Nov 2012 #1
MH1 Nov 2012 #2

Response to MadHound (Original post)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 11:59 AM

1. It shoudl be changed retroactively

to a tax CREDIT. And raise the amount.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to MadHound (Original post)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 12:09 PM

2. I heard this on NPR and I had a similar reaction.

It just doesn't seem fair to put teachers in this situation. Many are not paid what they should be to begin with.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread