HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » This Is Priceless... From...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 09:50 PM

This Is Priceless... From A Conservative Blogger, Re: The Program ORCA....

The Unmitigated Disaster Known As Project ORCA

What is Project Orca? Well, this is what they told us:

Project ORCA is a massive undertaking – the Republican Party’s newest, unprecedented and most technologically advanced plan to win the 2012 presidential election.

Pretty much everything in that sentence is false. The "massive undertaking" is true, however. It would take a lot of planning, training and coordination to be done successfully (oh, we'll get to that in a second). This wasn't really the GOP's effort, it was Team Romney's. And perhaps "unprecedented" would fit if we're discussing failure.

The entire purpose of this project was to digitize the decades-old practice of strike lists. The old way was to sit with your paper and mark off people that have voted and every hour or so, someone from the campaign would come get your list and take it back to local headquarters. Then, they'd begin contacting people that hadn't voted yet and encourage them to head to the polls. It's worked for years.

From the very start there were warning signs. After signing up, you were invited to take part in nightly conference calls. The calls were more of the slick marketing speech type than helpful training sessions. There was a lot of "rah-rahs" and lofty talk about how this would change the ballgame.

Working primarily as a web developer, I had some serious questions. Things like "Has this been stress tested?", "Is there redundancy in place?" and "What steps have been taken to combat a coordinated DDOS attack or the like?", among others. These types of questions were brushed aside (truth be told, they never took one of my questions). They assured us that the system had been relentlessly tested and would be a tremendous success.

On one of the last conference calls (I believe it was on Saturday night), they told us that our packets would be arriving shortly. Now, there seemed to be a fair amount of confusion about what they meant by "packet". Some people on Twitter were wondering if that meant a packet in the mail or a pdf or what. Finally, my packet arrived at 4PM on Monday afternoon as an emailed 60 page pdf. Nothing came in the mail. Because I was out most of the day, I only got around to seeing it at around 10PM Monday night. So, I sat down and cursed as I would have to print out 60+ pages of instructions and voter rolls on my home printer. Naturally, for reasons I can't begin to comprehend, my printer would not print in black and white with an empty magenta cartridge (No HP, I will never buy another one of your products ever again). So, at this point I became panicked. I was expected to be at the polls at 6:45AM and nothing was open. I was thankfully able to find a Kinko's open until 11PM that was able to print it out and bind it for me, but this is not something I should have had to do. They expected 75-80 year old veteran volunteers to print out 60+ pages on their home computers? The night before election day? From what I hear, other people had similar experiences. In fact, many volunteers never received their packets at all.

At 6:30AM on Tuesday, I went to the polls. I was immediately turned away because I didn't have my poll watcher certificate...

Oh... And...

By 2PM, I had completely given up. I finally got ahold of someone at around 1PM and I never heard back. From what I understand, the entire system crashed at around 4PM. I'm not sure if that's true, but it wouldn't surprise me. I decided to wait for my wife to get home from work to vote, which meant going very late (around 6:15PM). Here's the kicker, I never got a call to go out and vote. So, who the hell knows if that end of it was working either.

So, the end result was that 30,000+ of the most active and fired-up volunteers were wandering around confused and frustrated when they could have been doing anything else to help. Like driving people to the polls, phone-banking, walking door-to-door, etc. We lost by fairly small margins in Florida, Virginia, Ohio and Colorado. If this had worked could it have closed the gap? I sure hope not for my sanity's sake.

The bitter irony of this entire endeavor was that a supposedly small government candidate gutted the local structure of GOTV efforts in favor of a centralized, faceless organization in a far off place (in this case, their Boston headquarters). Wrap your head around that.

I'm on Twitter at @JohnEkdahl if you have any questions.

More: http://ace.mu.nu/archives/334783.php

11 replies, 1724 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply This Is Priceless... From A Conservative Blogger, Re: The Program ORCA.... (Original post)
WillyT Nov 2012 OP
WillyT Nov 2012 #1
proud2BlibKansan Nov 2012 #2
BumRushDaShow Nov 2012 #3
dsc Nov 2012 #8
WillyT Nov 2012 #4
neverforget Nov 2012 #5
Liberal_in_LA Nov 2012 #6
InsultComicDog Nov 2012 #7
Hekate Nov 2012 #9
sabrina 1 Nov 2012 #10
WillyT Nov 2012 #11

Response to WillyT (Original post)

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 10:18 PM

1. Kick !!!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 10:31 PM

2. The whole campaign was just a giant cluster fuck.

Worst candidate ever.

Most math challenged pollster in history.

I knew Obama was going to win in September right after the 47% tape came out. A radio pundit put it just perfectly.

(I'm paraphrasing):
A candidate knows he's in trouble when he realizes the voters don't like him. But in this case, Romney just found out the voters now know that HE doesn't like THEM.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 10:42 PM

3. "We lost by fairly small margins in Florida, Virginia, Ohio and Colorado."

No they didn't.

FL - Obama won by 74,000 votes (and still counting)
VA - Obama won by 115,910 votes
OH - Obama won by 103,481 votes
CO - Obama won by 113,099 votes.

In all of those races, Rmoney lost by over 100,000 votes (except FL where they are still counting)

Reply to this post

Response to BumRushDaShow (Reply #3)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 01:46 AM

8. those are pretty small margins

not recount territory but FL is well under 1%. Ohio is probably around 2% along with VA. A good get out the vote is considered worth 2 to 3%.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 11:20 PM

4. Kick !!!

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 11:25 PM

5. Thank God for Republican incompetence

when it comes to GOTV

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 01:18 AM

6. interesting info

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 01:29 AM

7. kick

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 02:10 AM

9. I love this, I just love it

Reading this kind of stuff is so pleasurable it ought to be a sin.

I can hardly wait for the books to come out. Maybe I can get Frum's from the library for my Kindle just to get started.

Hekate

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 02:19 AM

10. Lol:

What steps have been taken to combat a coordinated DDOS attack or the like?"

If Anonymous isn't just playing with their heads, it looks like whatever steps they took, they didn't work either.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 01:25 PM

11. Kick !!!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread