HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Connecticut Readies Its H...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 09:53 AM

Connecticut Readies Its Health care Exchange , Only CT health care companies can compete?

http://www.ctnewsjunkie.com/ctnj.php/archives/entry/connecticut_readies_its_healthcare_exchange/

So only insurance companies in CT will be able to compete ?

Is this the same in every state ?

Insurance is already expensive in CT so by not allowing insurance companies from all over the country to compete
is ridiculous . I'm sure the insurance companies love this in CT .

Is the President going to push a law to allow all insurance companies to compete in his health care bill or not?

5 replies, 493 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Connecticut Readies Its Health care Exchange , Only CT health care companies can compete? (Original post)
former-republican Nov 2012 OP
Chan790 Nov 2012 #1
former-republican Nov 2012 #2
Chan790 Nov 2012 #4
SpartanDem Nov 2012 #3
subterranean Nov 2012 #5

Response to former-republican (Original post)

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 10:03 AM

1. Watching the clip...

my impression is that it's limited to CT companies because only CT companies signed up or met the qualification to offer coverage through the exchange. CT has very strict and regressive insurance laws to protect its' cottage industry (Hartford is the insurance capital of the US) which is why the prices are so high there to begin with...most companies in the industry that are not based in CT do not meet the requirements to offer coverage in CT.

I used to live in Bristol and work for a major national retailer that offered health insurance and we had a different provider than the rest of the company because the company that provided coverage elsewhere did not qualify to offer or provide insurance coverage in CT.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Chan790 (Reply #1)

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 10:08 AM

2. So is this something our Governor and state Representatives should address?

Reply to this post

Response to former-republican (Reply #2)

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 10:19 AM

4. It's something the CT state government pretty much has done intentionally.

Gotta protect the major cash donor to all sides in CT politics. <<<There is no good emoticon to express frustration.

You'll never see any CT politician support reform or advance reform unless it benefits Aetna or Cigna, etc. That was the secret behind Lieberman's obstruction on Obamacare...any reform was/is bad for CT and he got a lot of money to try to preserve a status-quo.

Insurance : Connecticut :: Coal : West Virginia.

It runs your politics...it's not something the Governor or General Assembly or CT. State Senate will ever take up. It would probably take federal interference to change it and Aetna has just as much money to throw at Congress to insure that never occurs either.

You could do what I did and move to NY. I don't think there's any other available solution unless Aetna, et al. go bankrupt.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 10:14 AM

3. The ACA allows for insurance to be sold over state lines, but

a state must decide what it allows. It was done that way to prevent what happened with the credit cards industry when it was deregulated, they all moved to South Dakota because, it had the least consumer protections for customers.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 11:23 AM

5. The ACA will require all the exchanges to offer multi-state plans.

By 2017, all the exchanges will be required to offer at least two multi-state insurance plans, at least one of which must be not-for-profit. This will enable competition across state lines. However, the plans will still have to conform to the regulations of the state in which they are sold.

http://healthcoverageguide.org/affordable-care-act/additional-options/

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread