HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Have you noticed - US Pre...

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 02:54 PM

Have you noticed - US Presidents have either NO dad, or a strong, overpowering dad

Had Strong Dads:

George W Bush
George HW Bush
JFK
Jimmy Carter

NO dads:

Bill Clinton
Barack Obama

5 replies, 645 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Have you noticed - US Presidents have either NO dad, or a strong, overpowering dad (Original post)
Taverner Nov 2012 OP
HereSince1628 Nov 2012 #1
Taverner Nov 2012 #4
no_hypocrisy Nov 2012 #2
Myrina Nov 2012 #3
elleng Nov 2012 #5

Response to Taverner (Original post)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 03:01 PM

1. No I haven't. With no summary provided I wonder about the other 30+ presidents

2 questions...

When you constructed your list did you look at all the presidents?

Do you think your analysis is free from biases that might be introduced by dramatic reshapings of biographies?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to HereSince1628 (Reply #1)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 03:22 PM

4. I'm sorry, I think you have mistaken my conjecture with actual scientific research

Free of biases? Hell no! This is a political message board, not an APOLITICAL message board

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 03:10 PM

3. LOL don't forget the Adams'es - John & John Quincy, and

And no/invisible dad = FDR ("James, 54 when Franklin was born, was considered by some as a remote father" ... overbearing mother, though)

& Abraham Lincoln ("Thomas enjoyed considerable status in Kentucky—where he sat on juries, appraised estates, served on country slave patrols, and guarded prisoners. By the time his son Abraham was born, Thomas owned two 600-acre (240 ha) farms, several town lots, livestock, and horses. He was among the richest men in the county")

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 03:35 PM

5. Yes, and historians have also.

Too bad (???) for my brother and me, I guess; we'll never be president, as we had the kindest, most conciliatory (and Democratic) father ever, and he was with us for 98 years, that is, with the world, and with brother and me for 60+ years. He passed last year, and Tuesday was his 99th birth anniversary.

http://dougwead.wordpress.com/2008/06/14/the-absent-father-a-surprising-lesson-from-history/

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread