HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » On pot...seems a simple n...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 11:57 AM

On pot...seems a simple news story generates some controversy

So shall we review some fun facts?

Pot possession in California is not legal....unless you have a prescription...yup...it is a class II drug under California law. I know funny. Americans for Safe Access are trying this at the Federal level in the DC Circuit right now. (if they succeed I can't wait to call my local US Attorney for comment)

Colorado tried to head the Commerce clause at the pass, by saying that it is not legal to export it from the state. Enjoy it, while in Colorado, but not taking it across the border.

Fun fact, it is the Commerce clause that is at the heart of the Federal governments contention that Federal Law trumps state law. I mean you pot heads will send all over and when it crosses state lines (at times international borders) well, it is now subject to federal regulation.

Washington is the farthest any state has gone down the road to decriminalize possession, though it did not go so far as to make it legal to cultivate. This weed literally grows everywhere in Washington state and Northern Oregon though, the state had a pot head literally fly over the state throwing seeds from the air. It's the only state you can call the cops to remove the plants from your backyard and you will not get in trouble.

Oh and yes, while we might be for legalization, news articles are not editorials. I cannot put in there my views. In fact, if the DC court reschedules the plat, it will not end the war. After all, the universe of people who can get a script is smaller than the universe of people who'd like to consume. But it will be a step forwards.

Oh and let me repeat this, I am all for legalizing it...and regulating like tobacco and alcohol...I have personally been in the front lines of this joyful war...but we need to know where we are. It's like good to know.

53 replies, 2767 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 53 replies Author Time Post
Reply On pot...seems a simple news story generates some controversy (Original post)
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 OP
Fumesucker Nov 2012 #1
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 #3
Fumesucker Nov 2012 #4
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 #5
Fumesucker Nov 2012 #7
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 #12
Fumesucker Nov 2012 #13
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 #15
Fumesucker Nov 2012 #19
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 #20
Fumesucker Nov 2012 #21
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 #23
Fumesucker Nov 2012 #24
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 #25
Fumesucker Nov 2012 #28
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 #29
Fumesucker Nov 2012 #30
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 #31
Fumesucker Nov 2012 #32
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 #33
Fumesucker Nov 2012 #38
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 #39
Fumesucker Nov 2012 #40
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 #41
Fumesucker Nov 2012 #43
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 #45
Fumesucker Nov 2012 #46
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 #47
Fumesucker Nov 2012 #50
zappaman Nov 2012 #2
Romulox Nov 2012 #6
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 #9
zappaman Nov 2012 #11
librechik Nov 2012 #8
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 #10
Taverner Nov 2012 #14
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 #16
Floyd_Gondolli Nov 2012 #17
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 #18
Robb Nov 2012 #22
loudsue Nov 2012 #26
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 #27
waddirum Nov 2012 #34
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 #35
waddirum Nov 2012 #37
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 #48
joshcryer Nov 2012 #36
waddirum Nov 2012 #42
joshcryer Nov 2012 #44
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 #49
cleanhippie Nov 2012 #51
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 #52
cleanhippie Nov 2012 #53

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Original post)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 12:04 PM

1. If you post about any controversial subject at all you're going to get those comments on DU

That's the way we roll here as you should know by now.

Do you also use the term "lush" to describe anyone who consumes alcoholic beverages?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Fumesucker (Reply #1)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 12:09 PM

3. So tell me

Should the press stop covering this story? Or just cover the side you agree with? That would be the local travails of Americans for Safe Access?

I am serious here. And you think it is controversial to let people in Julian, for example, know that some really unsavory characters were around their town?

Oh wait, this is a pot farm, they are all high man!!!

Now back to the OP do you disagree that even if the Feds pulled back right fucking now in California that I can still be arrested for possession. Aka it is not legal...granted, I can be arrested for having Valium in my position with no prescription either...but you disagree with that?

Or do you disagree the weed grows everywhere in Washington State?

Please tell me where I am wrong here.

I did not realize news we do not want to see was controversial. And people critique the right for their echo chamber, sheesh!

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #3)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 12:19 PM

4. It's a controversial subject, people are going to talk about it

What they say is triggered by the article but may not be directly related to it.

You're wearing more than one hat here, Nadine, how are we supposed to know when you change from reporter to commenter?

My own comments were along the lines of "the politicians have deliberately created this situation against all common sense and no one ever holds them accountable for the damage they have caused" and you take that personally.

Nothing I wrote was meant personally.

Reply to this post

Response to Fumesucker (Reply #4)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 12:23 PM

5. I just asked an honest question.

The only comment on that OP was if you find one of these farms, call 911. The life you might save might be your own.

And people did get damn personal.

So from now on, pieces like that, will be drive byes.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #5)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 12:34 PM

7. I'm not responsible for what anyone else posts

You made an editorial comment and it drew other comments, DU is largely a comment board and GD definitely is a comment area, everything is fair game and I know that you know that.

Kitchen, heat, if you can't stand it then don't come stirring the pot.

Reply to this post

Response to Fumesucker (Reply #7)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 04:36 PM

12. So do not post stories that are inconvenient.

Gotcha.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #12)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 05:43 PM

13. Go ahead an nail yourself up on that cross, Nadine

You've been around more than long enough to know how things work here.

Reply to this post

Response to Fumesucker (Reply #13)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 05:49 PM

15. What cross?

Yes I know how things work here, a series of subjects are verboten, I will add another one.

Echo chambers are dangerous, but I'd say that is what is cool, who am I to question it?

So be it, welcome to echo chamber underground.

I posted a news story. I repeated what law enforcement recommends, so be it...echo chamber is s.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #15)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 06:14 PM

19. Law enforcement "recommends" that cannabis remains illegal

What Officer Friendly says isn't always the right thing to do

Your lawyer will tell you to keep your trap shut with the cops until he tells you otherwise, they want you to sing like a canary.

Reply to this post

Response to Fumesucker (Reply #19)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 06:21 PM

20. No, officer friendly recommends that if you come across any of these groves

You walk away and call 911 due to the not so friendly criminals deep in our public lands with guns, knives, booby traps and ancillary devices that they will use to protect their crop.

That is what I added, because I know what Santa Muerte followers do...

Now I guess it is difficult for echo chamber fans to accept that I can be all for full and complete legalization, and realize these people are not nice and could be dangerous to my and your health. It as to do with high speed lead, not pot.

This is not unlike Al Capone and a few massacres during prohibition. But hey, I would not have invited his goons over for dinner either.

But don't worry, if I even dare break the unwritten rules of the echo chamber, you will not see any comment from me. In fact, will use channel 9 story next time. No use in having this discussion though on echo chamber underground.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #20)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 06:29 PM

21. They are *always* going to tell you to drop the dime

Walk away sure, drop the dime I don't know if that's the right thing to do or not. I for one wouldn't trust law enforcement to keep me completely out of whatever ensues. If these people are as bad as you claim then there's a non-zero chance they have intelligence from the police.

The ones that are really dangerous to our health and welfare in this matter, the ultimately responsible party, we keep re-electing.

Reply to this post

Response to Fumesucker (Reply #21)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 06:39 PM

23. Your choice

FYI, in matters such as this law enforcement does take anonymous tips. All they need to prosecute is in the grove.

Plants. Check

Processed weed. Check

Illegal pesticides. Check.

Human trafficking check

Weapons...check

Traps. Check.

Environmental damage...yup

And yes, they are that bad. 50k and counting dead in Mexico, more than a few from torture, decapitation, putting you alive into acid baths, flailing people alive, bullet to the back of the head and hanging. And those are just some of them.

I am sure a Christmas Eve in 1986 in Tijuana was just prelims, 23 hanged bodies, all male between 17 and 23. After number ten we all were convinced something was up.

That does not mean all this will collapse within a growing season of full legalization. But yes, they are that bad. Most Americans have no clue, me and my Mexican counterparts had cold chills run down our collective backs...we know.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #23)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 06:44 PM

24. The more bad you make these guys look the worse their enablers look.

By whom I mean the politicians who keep the drug war going.

This would not be happening except for bad policy deliberately enacted by politicians for personal gain.

ETA: I guess I expected more from you Nadine than I do the M$M in general. If you were directly talking to the DEA honcho as a reporter you could have asked him if legalization would help solve this problem, even a "no comment" would be good information. But doing that would endanger your access, wouldn't it? You would never be allowed to get close to him again so instead we get all the usual blather, just this time from you instead of the M$M.

Ask the wrong questions as a reporter and you get blacklisted I'm sure.

Reply to this post

Response to Fumesucker (Reply #24)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 07:00 PM

25. Well, I am not making them sound bad

They are.

And given the ASA stories run regularly as well, and I have written them. So I guess I am not as bad when I cover them, but evil incarnate when I cover this.

Do you understand the difference between news and editorial? It seems to me you want the news reporters to write editorials and not straight news. I s'pose I could try to be fair and balanced and ask the Zetas, or the Arellanos, or the rest of them for comment.

Don't worry, lesson learned, echo chamber underground does not want to deal with this reality, one if the underbellies. And while I am all for legalization, since it was a news story, not an editorial, I could not add my commentary. On the other hand I could have added the editorial comment from the lead DEA agent, now that was just as cartoonish. He would ave been happy though.

You might want to check everybody else's coverage. It was just as facts centered...as far as this case was concerned. Where groves were, what led to the task force and how many people were arrested, guns taken, and all that. Nobody else, to your horror I am sure, added personal views.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #25)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 07:43 PM

28. You put the editorial in your piece, it wasn't just who, what, where and when.

If you had stuck to just the facts M'aam we wouldn't be having this conversation.

There are plenty of press stenographers out there who will happily parrot whatever the officials tell them, we don't need any more of that sort of coverage.

What we need and aren't going to get is reporters who will ask the hard questions of those in power.

Outright legalization and regulation of recreational drugs would stop the cartels in their tracks, if you want to get rid of them that's the way to do it.

How long has it been since we've seen shootouts between liquor distributors?

Why can this not be asked of people in power?

Reply to this post

Response to Fumesucker (Reply #28)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 07:46 PM

29. I did? Really...

Have a magnificent day.

And I also want to see this editorial comment from the article...

Here

http://www.eastcountymagazine.org/node/11726

SHOW ME MY EDITORIAL COMMENT. QUOTE IT.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #29)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 07:54 PM

30. You clearly hate the cartels

But you won't ask hard questions of those who are enabling the cartels.

That DEA honcho knows his job is dependent on drugs staying illegal, he would never tell you the truth and you know it which is why you never bothered to ask him.

You came back and told us the same old, same old official blather we could have got from channel eleventy brazilian's nosewitness nooz.

We here at DU complain about the press pitching officials softballs regularly, I know you've seen it.

Don't blame the rest of us for you failing to do what you have loudly proclaimed to be your job.

Reply to this post

Response to Fumesucker (Reply #30)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 08:09 PM

31. So you cannot quite find the editorial comment

Fair enough.

As to questions, you have no clue what was asked and what was not answered. Nor how these things actually go. In fact, next one of these I doubt they will turn to me for questions. I dared go into an area us reporters seldom go to, they were not happy. No, it had nothing to do with legalization. Suffice it to say, me and the Mexican media were not shocked at the non answer.

Just do not tell me I inserted my views into a news story, because it was not done.

And no, I don't hate them, I just have seen their handiwork. I have even transported some of their victims to a trauma unit.

Your problem is that you want an editorial piece, what part of I am for legalization are you still purposely missing?

Thus the echo chamber underground monicker.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #31)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 08:12 PM

32. You put the DEA honcho's opinion in

And you don't even realize it because it aligns with your own opinion.

Reply to this post

Response to Fumesucker (Reply #32)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 08:18 PM

33. No, I put his views since it s part of a news conference

As in actual statement made to the press by a government official. You really have no clue how this works, do you? We quote government officials, many of whom we disagree with, regularly. By this twisted logic, somehow I agree with Carl DeMaio too, since I quoted him in a news story. Actually, now that I think so, two..so I guess somehow I am for Prop A and B never mind I voted against their passage?

So since I also quoted Laura Duffy, US State Attorney, does that mean hers are my views too, at least for this week? I mean next week we might be talking about the next raid on Americans for Safe Access..

Are you for real? Serious?

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #33)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 08:37 PM

38. Yes I know, you quote government officials

I think I've already mentioned our stenographer press corps and the fact I could have gotten the same quote from the leggy blonde noozreeder bimbo on channel eleventy brazilian.

You have made it quite clear that you agree with the opinion of the DEA honcho you quoted.

I want to hear a government official quoted saying "no comment" when asked if legalization would damage the business model of the cartels.

Reply to this post

Response to Fumesucker (Reply #38)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 08:42 PM

39. They got there when we asked for connections

But whatever.

So do I agree with DeMaio? Who knew? I also agree with Sanders...

You are once again expecting editorials in the news. That is what the opinion section is about.

I thought you were more sophisticated than that.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #39)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 08:49 PM

40. We get editorials in the damn news all the fucking time Nadine

It's how we got to this point, at least half of what's on the news doesn't belong there in the first place.

One of the major, major complaints on DU for a fucking decade now is that propaganda gets treated as straight news.

Reply to this post

Response to Fumesucker (Reply #40)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 08:51 PM

41. Sorry I don't play that game

Perhaps you should.

Isn't this the complaint about fox? Again, I thought you were more sophisticated.

Now I need to go work for Kevarick, local GOP chairman, it seems I agree with him too...oh wait same story I quoted the Democratic Party chairman, phew...

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #41)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 08:58 PM

43. You told us exactly what the authorities wanted us to know

“News is something somebody doesn't want printed; all else is advertising." -William Randolph Hearst

Now go find some news to tell us.

Reply to this post

Response to Fumesucker (Reply #43)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 09:12 PM

45. So you go do the job

Go on.

I guess these people are not guilty (they are not, until they are convicted).

Sorry, but have a good day...we are more than done...I guess we really need fox though, that is your model of good news/ editorial coverage.

I am sorry to find how unsophisticated you are, will not post these troublesome stories here, or just ignore your commentary from now on.

By the way, what I told you the followers do, you can use a few of the narco blogs.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #45)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 09:28 PM

46. I'm not holding myself out to be Jimmy Olsen

But I'm telling you that hearing "reporters" just regurgitate what officials have told them is not at all what I call news.

News is about asking hard questions of people in power, that's what Soledad OBrien is being lauded for right here on GD at this moment and why David Gregory is a laughingstock.

Be more like Soledad and less like Dances with Rove.

Reply to this post

Response to Fumesucker (Reply #46)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 09:35 PM

47. We did, just not the question you wanted asked

Sorry. Oh and Olsen was a photographer...I am sure you knew that.

As I said, go do the fracking job. Good day.

You are getting more and more ridiculous, serious.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #47)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 10:42 PM

50. What hard question did you ask the DEA honcho, Nadine?

"What should people do if they see a grow operation.?"

"That's a tough one, Nadine, I don't think I've ever heard it before but if I was pressed I would say walk away and call us, don't worry we'll keep it anonymous."

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 12:09 PM

2. How many times you going to post this crap?

http://www.democraticunderground.com/1014305858
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10021821678

But now you have posted it again but at least made it all about you....which is the most important thing, isn't it?

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 12:27 PM

6. The "news story" is about the arrests. All the rest of the verbiage is just Nadin's opinions about

those arrests.

And those opinions aren't any more valid (or protected from criticism) than anyone else's.

Reply to this post

Response to Romulox (Reply #6)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 12:46 PM

9. Really, so quoting the Lead DEA officer in the case

Is somehow my opinion?

Or quoting the US district attorney is my opinion?

Who knew?

Now this OP is my views based on actual law. Believe it or not I cannot posses marihuana, or any other class two drug in California without a prescription. This is not an opinion, actually the standard of law.

I now know people here claim to be sophisticated news consumers, but are not.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #9)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 12:59 PM

11. "I now know people here claim to be sophisticated news consumers, but are not.

No one here is as much of a sophisticated news consumer as you.
Once again, you have shown how much smarter you are than everyone else...

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 12:37 PM

8. my dear nadin

I know your focus must primarily be on medicinal pot,

HOWEVER, looking forward to sharing a giant blunt with you some day, my sister, just for fun.

Debra from Colorado

Reply to this post

Response to librechik (Reply #8)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 12:58 PM

10. In California, yup.

At this point I think the state would not pass anything further than that.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 05:48 PM

14. There are MANY here on DU who think marijuana is evil, evil, evil

They still buy the Reefer Madness BS...and would rather all of America be drunk than a few Americans high

In short: yes, DUers can be just as stupid as RWingers sometimes

Reply to this post

Response to Taverner (Reply #14)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 05:58 PM

16. I am all for legalization

Just posted where exactly we are, after an actual news story I wrote, promise no more upsetting stories, generated so much ahem controversy.

In an ideal world you could go down to the store and buy yourself a pack as long as you are 21, like tobacco and alcohol.

Does it have negative effects? Like the other two drugs, yes. In fact one is very close to tobacco...your body.

But I promise, no more upsetting stories. I swear...there are days.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 06:04 PM

17. The OP is incoherent

I've read this three times. Is there a larger meaning that was supposed to be conveyed? As it is, it's just a bunch of blather that we've all heard a dozen times before (at least) in one form (usually more coherent) or another.

Reply to this post

Response to Floyd_Gondolli (Reply #17)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 06:10 PM

18. Well here is an executive summary just for you

Pot is not legal to posses in California unless you have a prescription.

The heart of the Feds contention that federal law trumps state law is the commerce clause, Colorado dealt with it by forbidding export of the weed outside the state.

Washington is the state going the farthest in decriminalizing possession of an oz or less.

That is where we are.

Good enough.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 06:33 PM

22. Now who can argue with that?

I think we are all indebted to the OP for clearly stating what needed to be said.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 07:03 PM

26. Pot is a PLANT. It's natural. It was on the earth before republicans. It

should be legal.

Reply to this post

Response to loudsue (Reply #26)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 07:06 PM

27. Should is separate from where we are

And this is where we are.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 08:21 PM

34. Drug War Is Over If You Want It

Just in time for the Holidays and the inevitable demise of the war on cannabis and the end of the conflict in Afghanistan.

Reply to this post

Response to waddirum (Reply #34)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 08:22 PM

35. This is about where we are

Not where we wish to be. For the record I want it over too.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #35)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 08:35 PM

37. But you can't get there if you don't know which direction to look

The prohibition on alcohol ended in part because various states "legalized/decriminalized it". At that time, this was in direct conflict with the 18th Amendment to the Constitution.

Prior to the passage of the 21st Amendment, one could go to drug stores like Walgreens and get "medicinal alcohol" for a variety of ailments (if one happened to live in one of the right States). Look up some google images of the "soda fountain" at Walgreens, where delightful concoctions of ice cream and medicinal brandy were served to health seeking individuals.

We are currently at the same point with the end of the prohibition on cannabis. Certain places have vastly more rights than others (I live in a full prohibition state), but eventually the whole thing is going to fall down. And the young voters are what's going to push it over the edge, like they did for Obama and marriage equality. WOOHOO!

Reply to this post

Response to waddirum (Reply #37)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 09:40 PM

48. Absolutely...and that point has been raised already by legal experts.

Why the ASA rescheduling case is this important.

That case will be the first major chip in the federal government stance, (and I can't wait to call the US Attorney here and ask for her statement.)

Her push against the clinics is the fact that under federal law it s schedule one...trust me, she won't be a happy camper if federal law makes it schedule two. All her raison d'ętre will go as far as ASA is concerned. I see that as a huge potential domino. The road from there to we treat it like tobacco and alcohol is much shorter than right now.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 08:29 PM

36. Emboldened RI, ME lawmakers seek to legalize pot

Recent campaigns that made Colorado and Washington the first states in the U.S. to legalize recreational marijuana are energizing efforts to do the same in New England, with lawmakers in Rhode Island and Maine vowing to push legislation next year to impose alcohol-style regulations and taxes on the drug.

Rhode Island Rep. Edith Ajello, D-Providence, said Thursday that the passage of legalization referendums in the two Western states are the latest indication that American attitudes toward marijuana are softening. She said the regulated sale of marijuana would eliminate the black market while raising a projected $10 million in revenue for government coffers. The state would also save some $20 million a year simply by no longer arresting, prosecuting and incarcerating people for marijuana offenses.

‘‘Our prohibition has failed,’’ she said. ‘‘I think legalizing and taxing it, just as we did to alcohol, is the way to do it.’’

Maine Rep. Diane Russell, D-Portland, said she also will propose legislation to legalize marijuana in her state, and estimated that sales taxes on its purchase there would raise $8 million.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/maine/2012/11/15/emboldened-lawmakers-seek-legalize-pot/Al2uD9D4T78TgAtN8MhL3O/story.html

The dominoes are already falling. It's only a matter of time. The will of the people cannot be ignored.

Washington is the farthest any state has gone down the road to decriminalize possession, though it did not go so far as to make it legal to cultivate.

Yeah, but Colorado allows 6 plants (3 flowering 3 not flowering), possession up to an ounce for anyone over 21, and doesn't give people in possession under 21 a felony (a really bad part of WAs law is that they didn't get rid of felony possession under 21), you simply get a fine like a kid in possession or alcohol or cigarettes. In that vein I think Colorado is way ahead of anyone else. It literally is "regulating marijuana like alcohol." You don't get a felony for underage drinking and you can brew your own beer in modest quantities.

The biggest problem for the prohibitionists / drug war advocates is simply that it will be impossible to stop export from Colorado short of putting up checkpoints at the border. It's all over.

Reply to this post

Response to joshcryer (Reply #36)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 08:58 PM

42. Let us raise a glass and give thanks to President James Earl Carter...

... for the right to homebrew personal quantities of beer and wine.

It was still illegal to homebrew after the 21st Amendment was passed in 1933 up until Carter signed H.R. 1337 into law in October 1978.

Reply to this post

Response to waddirum (Reply #42)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 09:09 PM

44. Excellent point. Let us hope that doesn't happen with marijuana.

And home grows are allowed.

Reply to this post

Response to joshcryer (Reply #36)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 09:41 PM

49. Good

I am all for treating it as alcohol and cigarettes quite honestly.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 10:54 PM

51. I've lived in Washington for 10 years and have NEVER seen a cannabis plant just "growing."

And a pot head flew a plane across the state tossing out pot seeds? When was this? Link? Maybe you are thinking of Johnny Appleseed.

Reply to this post

Response to cleanhippie (Reply #51)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 11:04 PM

52. Well I sure imagined the three plants

on the side of the freeway, near Seattle when we went on vacation. Next time I will take a photo, I promise.

And that is well known lore from the 1960s.

Have a good day.

I also notice that you did not, at all, deal with any of the substance, but this is a common technique, to try to derail discussion. It just is.

Have a good day.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #52)

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 11:27 AM

53. You change it from "literally growing wild" to "I saw three plants one time"! FAIL!

This weed literally grows everywhere in Washington state and Northern Oregon though, the state had a pot head literally fly over the state throwing seeds from the air. It's the only state you can call the cops to remove the plants from your backyard and you will not get in trouble.

And then accuse me of not dealing with the substance? That was an entire paragraph of your post. Or does that not count as substance.

How can one derail a discussion that is already a trainwreck? Someone is simply not being honest with themselves.

You have a really, really great day.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread