HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Obama nominates the next ...

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 10:22 AM

Obama nominates the next Commander of Afghanistan to stay past 2014

WTF!! Obama http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2012/11/15/next_afghanistan_commander_supports_troops_there_past_2014

4 replies, 533 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Obama nominates the next Commander of Afghanistan to stay past 2014 (Original post)
bigdarryl Nov 2012 OP
Drale Nov 2012 #1
GeorgeGist Nov 2012 #3
still_one Nov 2012 #2
Johnyawl Nov 2012 #4

Response to bigdarryl (Original post)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 10:29 AM

1. Um who cares what the General thinks?

I bet he also believes that 99.9% of the federal budget should go to defense as well that doesn't mean its going to happen. The commander and chief has the final say and the President is committed to getting out of Afghanistan. He's not payed for his opinions, he's payed to create a strategy to protect lives, even though that does not seem like it has worked or could work at this point.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Drale (Reply #1)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 11:04 AM

3. Golly Gee ...

I hope Obama cares what the General thinks.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 10:31 AM

2. That is what the general believes, it isn't what the commander in chief believes. In fact, I

suspect almost any general in that capacity that the President could appoint would probably believe we should stay past 2014.

However, are form of government is NOT run by the military, but by a civilian populous

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 11:22 AM

4. If you read that article carefully, he's saying the same thing the President is saying

Dunford is ready to tell Congress that he supports U.S. troops staying in Afghanistan for a host of missions in 2015 and beyond, which matches the Obama administration's plans, despite some high-level administration statements to the contrary.

Joe Biden's insistance to the contrary, it appears that's exactly what Obama is planning.

Only days later, State Department officials explained that the U.S. and Afghan governments were preparing to start negotiations on a Bilateral Security Agreement (BSA) that would establish the size and role of the U.S. troop mission in 2015

Obama is negotiating for the US to have a presense in Afghanistan until 2024. Training and technical support mostly, but also forward combat bases to position Special Forces to strike at terrorists.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread