HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » "OPERATION MOUNTAIN ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 10:50 PM

"OPERATION MOUNTAIN HIGH" YIELDS MULTIPLE DRUG ARRESTS FOR POT GROWING ON PUBLIC LANDS

November 14, 2012 (San Diego)-- Today U.S. State Attorney Laura Duffy called a press conference to announce the arrest of six out of 10 suspects wanted by federal authorities in relation to running illegal marijuana farms on state and federal lands in the East County and Riverside County.

"Drug agents on routine aerial surveillance happened to spot and remove a marijuana farm in Julian in the summer of 2010," said Duffy, explaining how the operation started. after the “Chariot Canyon Grow” operation.

What was unusual about this raid, according to Duffy, is that "In this case agents found more than plants and farmers. They found cell phones."

This intelligence cache allowed officers in the Narcotics Task Force to start to put together how the Sotelo Organization worked.

The distribution of marijuana ranged all the way to Northern California, Idaho and Utah. There were also contacts in Mexico; the investigation continues on the Mexican side of the Border. When asked about possible links to cartels, Duffy said that there were no links found, but the investigation is continuing.

http://www.eastcountymagazine.org/node/11726

By the way this is the largest, per officials, drug growing and distribution network.

If you are in public lands anywhere in the US and come across a grove, get away and contact law enforcement.

36 replies, 1871 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 36 replies Author Time Post
Reply "OPERATION MOUNTAIN HIGH" YIELDS MULTIPLE DRUG ARRESTS FOR POT GROWING ON PUBLIC LANDS (Original post)
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 OP
jerseyjack Nov 2012 #1
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 #2
Systematic Chaos Nov 2012 #6
Kurska Nov 2012 #3
kestrel91316 Nov 2012 #4
Kurska Nov 2012 #5
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 #7
Kurska Nov 2012 #8
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 #9
zappaman Nov 2012 #26
argiel1234 Nov 2012 #10
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 #11
argiel1234 Nov 2012 #12
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 #13
argiel1234 Nov 2012 #18
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 #19
argiel1234 Nov 2012 #20
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 #21
argiel1234 Nov 2012 #24
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 #25
argiel1234 Nov 2012 #27
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 #28
argiel1234 Nov 2012 #29
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 #31
argiel1234 Nov 2012 #32
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 #34
argiel1234 Nov 2012 #35
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 #36
zappaman Nov 2012 #30
argiel1234 Nov 2012 #33
flamingdem Nov 2012 #14
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 #16
Care Acutely Nov 2012 #15
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 #17
Hekate Nov 2012 #22
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 #23

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Original post)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 11:01 PM

1. I feel safer in my home tonight.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to jerseyjack (Reply #1)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 11:03 PM

2. I take it you are a neighbor?

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #2)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 11:17 PM

6. That's our nadin! Always looking for ways to solidify that fan base.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 11:06 PM

3. Billions wasted, hundreds of thousands of lives ruined all over a harmless plant.

Please take your prohibition and kindly fuck off with it back to the 20's

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 11:07 PM

4. I support cannabis completely, but they have GOT to stop growing it illegally on

public lands!! This is big time foreign cartels' work and not the little boutique farmers.

Reply to this post

Response to kestrel91316 (Reply #4)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 11:08 PM

5. If it was legal there would be no reason to do this.

End prohibition and you end the problem.

Reply to this post

Response to Kurska (Reply #5)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 11:24 PM

7. Yes, end prohibition

Look, I am a veteran of the war on drugs, was in a few cross country shoot outs as a medic. That said until it is rescheduled, what do you want the media to do? Stay home and not cover it? Just ignore it and it will go away, that's the ticket...real people live near where some of these groves were found, as in walking distance.

That said, my back grew cold and a shiver ran down my back at the mention of "Santa Muerte," and I was not alone. The reporters from the Mexican media had the same reaction. Those who follow it are not what I could call nice. Oh and I would not like to come across any of their groves.

Unlike popular myth, these guys are not peaceful.

So until it s re-scheduled, the next step, before the DC circuit already... It is what it is.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #7)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 11:30 PM

8. I know the cartels are horrible, but you know how you end the cartels?

Legalize it, but I'm sure you know that.

I'm not going to clap my hands and cheer because an armed raid did what a signature on a piece of paper could have done. Meanwhile for every legitimate bust of real bad guys there are hundreds of kids sent to jail for nothing.

But yeah I completely agree until then no blood weed either, if someone is going to buy they should buy local product it keeps money out of the hands of these scumbags.

Reply to this post

Response to Kurska (Reply #8)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 11:40 PM

9. This is LOCAL product

For god sakes Farmers Road s very near Julian. That is part of the problem.

So next announcement should we all stay home and not let the residents of the East County know that this is going on?

Look, until it is legalized people need to know. The best part, this is actually the bush leagues as far as quantities and all, but it is large by San Diego county standards.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #7)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 01:11 AM

26. "I am a veteran of the war on drugs, was in a few cross country shoot outs as a medic."

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 11:50 PM

10. although I don't partake

I hate smoking anything, why would I contact law enforcement?

"Routine aerial surveillance" ?

Don't they have war criminals and financial terrorists to investigate and prosecute?

I'm not fearful of a plant.

Reply to this post

Response to argiel1234 (Reply #10)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 11:56 PM

11. Because the people doing this in your back country

Are engaging is human smuggling...check

They are causing environmental damage. Check

They are armed and dangerous

They also place traps that put others at risk of injury or death.

These are not your peaceful growers of a harmless plant.

Oh...all that is propaganda, can hear it.

These are some of the things followers of the Santa Muerte have done in Mexico, and you are dreaming if you think they won't here.

Murder people by decapitation, throwing them into vats of acid while alive, skinning victims alive, torture, shooting them execution style, burying them alive and hanging them.

But hey, I guess they are just nice people providing a market.

Look, I am all for legalization, one hundred percent legalization, that does not mean my eyes are closed to what these folks are capable off.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #11)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 12:02 AM

12. If marijuana was legalized

everything you pointed out would be moot points.

Im sorry but your point doesn't make much sense

Reply to this post

Response to argiel1234 (Reply #12)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 12:07 AM

13. And until it is, we are stuck

I am sorry the concept of it needs to be legalized, but this is happening right now, are not mutually exclusive.

Yes, it will be legalized, and after that he plans this will take a little while to collapse, even perhaps all the way to a full growing season.

These two concepts are not mutually exclusive.

And for the moment the life you might save, if you come across a major grove in the back county...might be your own.

But hey if you never avail yourself of public lands, feel free to ignore it.

Oh and before you say it, I have real life experience from real life as a medic in the early years of La Guerra...

Free hint, Traffic is not a fictional account of that war, just highly modified.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #13)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 12:32 AM

18. I guess Im still not getting the point of the OP

did you even see my avatar?

major grove in the back country?

anyway, Mj will be legalized sooner rather than later and your OP will become irrelevant

Reply to this post

Response to argiel1234 (Reply #18)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 12:36 AM

19. The OP is an actual news story

From an actual news paper. I happen to have written that piece as news...you might want to check other local news media that also ran his story today, since it was a major press conference at te Federal Building on Front Street this morning. If your Spanish is good, you can also check the Semanario Zeta, their reporters were there today as well.

FYI this is actually news.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #19)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 12:49 AM

20. your news story will be irrelevant once MJ becomes legalized

When did I say I spoke Spanish?

You wrote that piece as news?

I still don't get your post at all

Reply to this post

Response to argiel1234 (Reply #20)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 12:54 AM

21. Follow the link...there is one there...the article is longer than

Four paragraphs.

And how exactly is the future relevant to news today? By your logic the German surrender in Europe is irrelevant since now they are strong allies. So WWIi never happened.

and yes a major momemt.

And I suggested the Mexican Media since gee, for some reason, we share a physical border, you might have heard of that, and this is straddling that border. I am sure the fact we share a border might be a surprise to you.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #21)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 01:02 AM

24. Your OP and the link provided is irrelevant when MJ is legalized

I don't even smoke cigarettes, let alone marijuana.

The point is your OP and the link you provided is irrelevant as MJ is on course to becoming legalized in many states. Then federally.

You seem to be angry with me for some unknown reason as I have been receptive to what you have said, and I have responded to you.

Im in Pittsburgh and I dont smoke

You questioned my Spanish (WTF) and borders and other bizarre stuff. I dont even know what you are talking about.

Reply to this post

Response to argiel1234 (Reply #24)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 01:10 AM

25. "When it is legalized"

But some of us live in the real world where it is not legal.

Have a good day in your own reality.

And I am not angry with you. Your position is just divorced from very present reality...and I prefer to live in the reality based community. Yes, we write articles on this...it is news, but we also have run stories on the legal travails of Americans for safe access and the conflict, very real one, between the State and the Feds...funny, similar cast of characters. Both are news.

If that does not fit your view of the world, I suggest trash thread so you do not have to be bothered with news that is inconvenient.

For the record, once again I am for legalization, but as a reporter I am not writing an editorial, but a news story, learn the difference as a news consumer.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #25)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 01:26 AM

27. actually it is legal

You may want to look up the states where is it legal

Just curious, what news organization are you a news reporter for?

Reply to this post

Response to argiel1234 (Reply #27)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 01:44 AM

28. Medical marihuana is legal, not all of it

Except Washington State and that is as of November 6. That is the only state that has allowed legal possession of up to an oz. that means full decriminalization, and DAs have dropped charges in two major counties already. This is state law, not Federal, so the conflict is there.

I live in a state where medical MJ is legal, but the FEDERAL narcotics task force has raided and closed every dispensary, even the one following the rules so tightly the Sheriff's dept. certified them as such, never mind Sheriff Gore is no fan. In some cases the full narcotics TF, both local, state and federal agents are involved. That be California, and my county borders Baja California Norte.

Lawyers for ASA have fought the Feds under the Tenth amendment and I cannot wait to call the US District Attorney if and when this is rescheduled to ask what now? My view they should knock it off. Want chapter and verse in US code that makes it illegal at the Federal Level? There is a case in the DC circuit asking exactly for that from ASA. So yes, me and a few score of activists are waiting for that.

The East County Magazine. The link, once again, is in the OP.

Now there is precedent for the SCOTUS going it's legal after more than a few states do something, without Congress...I give that one near zero chances with the current court.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #28)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 01:57 AM

29. Please stop apologizing for republicans

No one supports making medical marijuana patients and recreational users criminals.

Unless one supports the violent terrorist police state.

Do you support the violent terrorist police state?

Reply to this post

Response to argiel1234 (Reply #29)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 02:06 AM

31. Facts are supporting Republicans?

Wow. Just gave you the outline of what we are facing here, please tell me where I apologized for republicans. For the record sheriff gore, who certified these clinics as legal under STATE LAW is a Republican. Under STATE LAW the Sheriff and his department would not prosecute. The FEDS have a different idea.

Oh and one more thing, Laura Duffy works for the Dept of Justice. Last time I checked Eric Holder is a Democrat and works for a Democratic President who made a campaign promise when he was still a US senator.

Perhaps you have not realized this, but the DOJ contends that Federal Law trumps State Law.

I am sorry if you have issues with facts, once again I live in a fact based reality. I am sorry you do not. I guess you did not realize this did not match your preconceived ideas.

Have an excellent day.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #31)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 02:17 AM

32. you dont have facts

federal law does not trump state law in regards to marijuana

Its right in the Constitution about states rights and enumeration in regards to laws such as these

You are mistaken, and unfortunately you live in a police state just like I do.

Eric Holder is a disgrace and a fraud, who ignores war crimes and financial terrorists to go after people who like a plant.

You can continue to ignore reality yourself, but no one is buying your version of reality anyway

Reply to this post

Response to argiel1234 (Reply #32)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 02:22 AM

34. You can go ahead and take that discussion to the courts

You can continue to ignore whatever you want, but going to the news story, if you are right why were these Boy Scouts charged for marihuana manufacturing and distribution, actual charges, by the US District attorney.

They need a lawyer though, are you one? I am sure that defense will go swimmingly well in Federal Court.

What you are making is a tenth amendment argument, guess what? You are not the only one. But you can deny reality all you want, we are where we are. Or are you that blind?

By the way ASA is trying a different route, re-scheduling. That one might work, and will make the Feds back down like this fast. You know what that is? I suspect you don't.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #34)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 02:33 AM

35. you stated you were a news reporter

what paper/publication/internet site do you report for?

Reply to this post

Response to argiel1234 (Reply #35)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 11:06 AM

36. I already told you

Last edited Thu Nov 15, 2012, 11:37 AM - Edit history (1)

Seems you can't follow a simple link. This des not shock me either. I think we are more than done.

Have a good life.

Reply to this post

Response to argiel1234 (Reply #27)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 01:59 AM

30. "Just curious, what news organization are you a news reporter for?"

Pretty much the online version of the local PENNYSAVER.

Reply to this post

Response to zappaman (Reply #30)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 02:18 AM

33. yea I looked at many posts of this poster

seems to be an expert in all/anything

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #11)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 12:15 AM

14. Honestly I am not thrilled to hear of this kind of activity growing in the region

All you have to do is note that the Zetas are recruiting in LA and growing their gang - for example - and people need money, they also need "belonging" and it follows nicely from street gangs. I know it's all around but usually kept out of the media and that needs to stop.

Precisely for the reasons you mention, I read Spanish so now and then check the narco blogs and it's a culture I do not want to see growing - but with the money involved?

The other angle is that regular growers will end up getting caught up, the traps, guns - they have them too.

Reply to this post

Response to flamingdem (Reply #14)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 12:21 AM

16. Yup

Honest I asked the obvious question, and neither my counterpart in the Mexican Media or I were surprised at the non-answer. To their credit, larger media pressed, the non answer became a we can't comment.

I can tell you they were shocked this white, short reporter, with a tad of an accent went there. I took them by surprise.

So, I would not blame the media completely. Honestly, I think the Feds really don't want to go there.

As to the Zetas, MS 13, another lovely group of people has been at that for decades...and older Cartels as well.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 12:18 AM

15. I FUCKING LOVE ALL-CAPS THEY ARE AWESOME

Reply to this post

Response to Care Acutely (Reply #15)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 12:21 AM

17. Paper sheet style

Have a problem with that?

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 12:56 AM

22. Nadin's right: the illegal growers are very like the Prohibition Mafia

Yes, Prohibition was a big mistake. Yes, the War on Drugs is a big mistake. Yes, alcohol and weed are similar in some respects and imo should be similarly regulated.

Yes, Prohibition encouraged the Mafia to move into the booze smuggling and selling business big-time and they were mean sons of bitches and very dangerous people. There was nothing safe about them.

I want the War on Drugs to end tomorrow. But please recognize that the Mexican cartels are nobody's friend. Their business in our national forests degrades the land (there are LA Times articles about this in the past few years). They do set traps for the unwary, and they do defend their investment. That's why you should back away swiftly if you come on a plantation in the forest. It's not the plants, it's the guards with guns.

Someday our government may gain a measure of sanity and end this and put these guys out of business. I think there is a place for pot both socially and medicinally. If I were to see a plant in my neighbor's backyard or in his greenhouse window, I would not say a word. But I hope never to have an occasion to meet with a member of the Mexican cartels. They are not Cheech and Chong. They are not your friends.

Reply to this post

Response to Hekate (Reply #22)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 01:02 AM

23. FYI, some of the Groves were in the Cleveland National Forest

That is "near" your backyard.

The two near Julian, one was near a popular trail.

The story has both the goggle map and the actual groves. PM me if you want a tad more info, have the news release and complaint

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread