HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » On secession
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 06:35 PM

On secession

At my last count, there are currently twenty states have filed petitions to secede from the United States. There are the usual suspects, Texas, Georgia, and most of the rest of the old Confederacy. There are some states who weren't in the Confederacy, but still aren't surprising given their conservative bent, states like Kansas, Missouri, and Indiana. Then there are some states that are straight out of left field, states like New York, Oregon, and Michigan.

There are the usual responses going around as well, conservatives cheering the movement on, liberals who are saying, "Don't let the door hit you on the way out," and those in between whose biggest response seems to be "WTF?"

For all of those out there, on the right and left, who think secession of any state or grouping of states is a good thing, let me ask one question. Are you fucking nuts?

Every state in this country is important to the nation as a whole, offering unique resources, people, viewpoints and cultures that important to the well being of this country. Take away, oh, say, Texas, and you lose oil and other mineral resources, people such as Jim Hightower, and music such as South by Southwest. Take away a Midwestern state and you lose food resources, Truman Democrats, and music ranging from the blues to bluegrass. This same logic applies to every single state, even Rhode Island.

Furthermore, has anybody, on any side of the secession question, thought about the sheer size of the logistics of secession? How do you divide up federal property, the parks, military bases, and the rest of government that intertwined in every state? How do you deal with borders, highways, flight paths, water resources, on and on it goes.

Finally, do we really want to balkanize this continent? I ask that question because that is exactly what will happen. One of the little known facts of the Civil War is that about halfway through it, the states of Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi wanted to go their own way, form their own little country. I imagine that other states would have fallen out as well, both North and South, breaking away into smaller and smaller countries that would continue to squabble and fight amongst themselves, much like European countries have done for centuries. It isn't too farfetched to think that such balkanization would happen as well during a modern secession movement. Pretty soon we would become a land made up of fifty countries or more, each fighting each other for resources, destroying the people and land in the process.

So for those of any stripe who think that secession is a good thing, once again the question is "Are you fucking nuts?" I also want you to know that going down the road of secession is taking the cowards path. It is always easier to take your ball and go home. It is much harder to sit down with those you disagree with and hammer out a rational plan that allows everybody to get along. Much harder, but much more rewarding. History gives stark testimony to that.

2 replies, 361 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply On secession (Original post)
MadHound Nov 2012 OP
zbdent Nov 2012 #1
Louisiana1976 Nov 2012 #2

Response to MadHound (Original post)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 08:27 PM

1. Snopes says that no official has signed on ...

suggesting that it would have to come from some higher-up before it would even be considered "real", so to speak ...

'It is not true in a literal sense that any "states" have filed petitions to secede from the United states. None of the referenced petitions has been authorized or approved by a governor or other state representative, nor do they represent the majority of any state's citizenry having voted in favor of secession; they're all the product of individuals acting on their own. (Texas Governor Rick Perry, for example, issued a statement about such petitions affirming that he "believes in the greatness of our Union and nothing should be done to change it.")'

And think about it ... they (individuals) wouldn't have the balls to actually leave the U.S. ...

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to MadHound (Original post)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 08:58 PM

2. Well said. K&R

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread