HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Murray Energy gave Rove $...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 04:50 PM

Murray Energy gave Rove $100K before layoffs

and spent over $2.8 million on contributions and lobbying in 2011-12:

FEC records show coal company Murray Energy Corp. gave $100,000 to American Crossroads in September, just weeks before sacking dozens of employees as part of its plan to go into “survival mode.”

The Ohio-based company announced last week it would lay off 163 employees, citing the results of the general election and a regulatory onslaught to come.

Coal executive Robert E. Murray told employees that because Obama had won a second term, “we cannot bleed cash waiting for our competitors to be eliminated,” according to a memo to employees. “We must totally go into survival mode and generate all the cash that we can from whatever we still have left that can help us.”

...The $100,000 spent by the company was hardly Murray Energy’s only expenditure this year.

In 2011-12, the company, Murray Energy PAC and Murray Energy Corp. employees spent more than $2.8 million on political campaign contributions and lobbying.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1112/83826.html#ixzz2CEhIUURR

5 replies, 552 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to BeyondGeography (Original post)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 05:05 PM

1. that's just capitalism, guys, deal with it

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 05:09 PM

2. It's a shame that the rest of their employees

can't afford to completely shut them down. Make them cut off their noses to spite their ugly mugs.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 05:23 PM

3. Murray is the only coal operator that is laying anyone off in eastern Ohio. The other mines are

begging for qualified miners. I know severalpeople that have been hired in the last 2 years. One guy I talked to was happy they cut him back
to 65 hours a week. The miners are making $100000 plus a year. I know one that broke $200,000 last year. I know several management employees
that they called out of retirement and are getting paid $1.00 a minute. Murray is a right wing nut job, he claims a squirrel told him to buy his first mine.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 05:26 PM

4. What a bunch of assholes! Wow, there really are no limits to their greed and stupidity.

WE need some sort of shame campaign!

What's popular now that tar and feathers are out of style?

Reply to this post

Response to RepublicansRZombies (Reply #4)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 05:34 PM

5. Murray also just opened up a new office building here for Murray Energy, I'm sure

that ran a few million too. If he was going to have to close all his mines why build a new multi-millon dollar office complex?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread