HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Quote from Obama about tw...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 01:23 PM

Quote from Obama about two weeks before the election (Oct 24)

Obama says he’ll renew pursuit of ‘grand bargain,’ offering specifics on agenda. http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/obama-says-hell-renew-pursuit-of-grand-bargain-offering-specifics-on-agenda/2012/10/24/0e2b843c-1e0e-11e2-9cd5-b55c38388962_story.html

“We’re going to be in a position where I believe in the first six months we are going to solve that big piece of business,” Obama said. “It will probably be messy. It won’t be pleasant. But I am absolutely confident that we can get what is the equivalent of the grand bargain that essentially I’ve been offering to the Republicans for a very long time, which is $2.50 worth of cuts for every dollar in , and work to reduce the costs of our health-care programs.”

And here is the link to a post that has links to and photographs of the actual Grand Bargain proposal, which Obama has just said he seeks "the equivalent of":

http://www.democraticunderground.com/1251246367

55 replies, 3001 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 55 replies Author Time Post
Reply Quote from Obama about two weeks before the election (Oct 24) (Original post)
woo me with science Nov 2012 OP
JoePhilly Nov 2012 #1
Liberal_Stalwart71 Nov 2012 #2
ProSense Nov 2012 #6
Liberal_Stalwart71 Nov 2012 #12
1StrongBlackMan Nov 2012 #25
Liberal_Stalwart71 Nov 2012 #26
Luminous Animal Nov 2012 #20
bluestate10 Nov 2012 #54
JoePhilly Nov 2012 #14
Liberal_Stalwart71 Nov 2012 #16
JoePhilly Nov 2012 #18
Liberal_Stalwart71 Nov 2012 #19
JoePhilly Nov 2012 #22
Liberal_Stalwart71 Nov 2012 #24
1StrongBlackMan Nov 2012 #8
JoePhilly Nov 2012 #15
Liberal_Stalwart71 Nov 2012 #17
JoePhilly Nov 2012 #21
ProSense Nov 2012 #3
speedoo Nov 2012 #4
woo me with science Nov 2012 #5
frazzled Nov 2012 #7
SidDithers Nov 2012 #9
reformist2 Nov 2012 #10
woo me with science Nov 2012 #11
reformist2 Nov 2012 #13
1StrongBlackMan Nov 2012 #27
forestpath Nov 2012 #23
1StrongBlackMan Nov 2012 #29
MannyGoldstein Nov 2012 #28
1StrongBlackMan Nov 2012 #30
JoePhilly Nov 2012 #31
MannyGoldstein Nov 2012 #35
JoePhilly Nov 2012 #38
MannyGoldstein Nov 2012 #39
JoePhilly Nov 2012 #47
MannyGoldstein Nov 2012 #34
cthulu2016 Nov 2012 #36
1StrongBlackMan Nov 2012 #37
MannyGoldstein Nov 2012 #40
1StrongBlackMan Nov 2012 #41
MannyGoldstein Nov 2012 #42
1StrongBlackMan Nov 2012 #48
woo me with science Nov 2012 #43
kansasobama Nov 2012 #32
cthulu2016 Nov 2012 #33
woo me with science Nov 2012 #44
Oilwellian Nov 2012 #50
leftstreet Nov 2012 #52
gravity Nov 2012 #45
Oilwellian Nov 2012 #49
leftstreet Nov 2012 #51
kansasobama Nov 2012 #46
woo me with science Nov 2012 #53
rudycantfail Nov 2012 #55

Response to woo me with science (Original post)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 01:26 PM

1. The political environment has changed significantly.

Because Obama can't run again, the GOP has very little political leverage.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to JoePhilly (Reply #1)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 01:27 PM

2. As always, the voice of reason. Thanks so much.

Reply to this post

Response to Liberal_Stalwart71 (Reply #2)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 01:30 PM

6. Here's the bizarre thing:

People who seem bent on spending their energy not to push for progressive policy, but to define Obama's motives as sinister.

They seem more interested in maligning the President than actually getting something progressive done.

Reply to this post

Response to ProSense (Reply #6)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 01:35 PM

12. I know. It's driving me insane, so I've just been trashing all these threads.

I don't want to hear this whining shit. The man was reelected not even a week before people start assigning shit to him that's not there or projecting onto him again. It's tiring!

Reply to this post

Response to Liberal_Stalwart71 (Reply #12)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 04:04 PM

25. Well ...

how about credit where credit is due ... the gop started their crap on Day One ... so don't DUers get SOME credit for showing a bit more restraint?

Reply to this post

Response to 1StrongBlackMan (Reply #25)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 04:06 PM

26. The bar is so low! LOL!!!

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 02:39 PM

20. Where is the accusation that Obama's motive are?

And how do you know that the OP is not working to getting something progressive done?

I'm with the AF-CIO. The time to act is now.

8 Weeks To Protect Our Future

http://www.aflcio.org/Get-Involved/Protect-Our-Future

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 02:20 AM

54. Yeah. I have noticed that too. They are all set to dynamite the 2014 mid-terms for democrats. nt

Reply to this post

Response to Liberal_Stalwart71 (Reply #2)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 02:02 PM

14. From almost the day Obama agreed to extending the Bush tax cuts 2 or so years ago ...

I've been trying to explain why he did it, and why it was smart.

If he let them all expire back then, he would have broken his promise to not raise taxes on those making under 250k. If he broke that promise, Romney becomes President. Because the media would have crucified Obama if he broke that promise to the 98%. It would have been his "Read my lips" moment. They'd stop saying he was weak like Carter (which is BS anyway) and instead he was like Bush #1, broke the "no new taxes" pledge, and became a 1 term President as a result.

So Obama DELAYED his promise to end the cuts for those above 250k. And he placed the next extension in the lame duck period after the 2012 election. Doing so allowed HIM to make the decision on those cuts regardless of the outcome of the election.

Now Obama has the leverage. He doesn't need a deal. And if he breaks his promise to the 98%, so what! He can't run again. AND, even if he does let them all expire, he can DEMAND that congress reinstate those for the middle class. The Senate has already passed a version of that. The GOP House has NOTHING.

The media is doing everything it can to get the *old* grand-bargain (which was a bluff, Obama knew the GOP would not bite) because THAT is now the best deal the GOP could hope for now that Obama has won.

Obama can let all of the tax cuts expire, and then have the Senate propose to retroactively reinstate them.

There are a number of ways this could play out ... from what I can see, Obama will kill the high end tax cuts, the lower end cuts will be maintained, and there will be some set of "savings" included.

Reply to this post

Response to JoePhilly (Reply #14)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 02:12 PM

16. We've gone over this so many times here on DU and still people suffer from cognitive dissonance

And no matter what we say, let them tell it, Obama will abolish SS, Medicare, and Medicaid. I've stopped trying and just began trashing threads instead.

Reply to this post

Response to Liberal_Stalwart71 (Reply #16)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 02:30 PM

18. In my work, one of the things I've had the opportunity to do is study participation rates

on social networking sites.

And one of the findings is that for most social networking sites, the number of people who read the content, but never post (and perhaps maybe never even get an ID) is far larger than the number of people who sign up and post.

By various estimates and studies, the participation rate (sign up and post) is generally somewhere between 5% and about 30% (depends on the site and also on how often "new topics" matter).

So I repeat myself a lot, but with the hope that there are new "lurkers".

This is also why I enjoy debating one of my old right wing friends via email. I've known this guy since high school. He regularly sends me, and a bunch of our old high school friends, crazy right wing emails. Which I destroy with logic and links to facts. He can't refute anything I send, and none of the other friends from our group ever jumps in the middle of it.

But a number of them have sent me emails thanking me because I've provided them facts that they did not know.

Of course here on DU, sometimes, I respond with a reference to DU's "Manufactured Outrage Machine".

Reply to this post

Response to JoePhilly (Reply #18)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 02:34 PM

19. This is great! You have much more patience than I. Maybe it's because I live in D.C. and

therefore immersed in Beltway Media dribble. I commend you for hanging in there. And you're right: there may be folks who may not post but who lurk. If they learn something--anything--that's a success and all your hard work has indeed paid off.

Reply to this post

Response to Liberal_Stalwart71 (Reply #19)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 02:51 PM

22. I lived in the DC area in the late 80s early 90s ... Bethesda / Rockville area.

I definitely get your point about the media there ... there is no local news ... its all national news, all the time.

And you can't avoid it. It was during the time that my wife and I lived there that I really started to follow politics. Had no choice.

Left in part because of the cost of living, but mainly because of the TRAFFIC!!! I grew up and Philly, and so I was used to bad traffic, but the DC area was (and still is) insane.

We still love to visit. Have friends who decided to stay there. And so many great things to do and see (finally saw the FDR and MLK monuments this past March), but the traffic always reminds us why we left.

Reply to this post

Response to JoePhilly (Reply #22)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 03:35 PM

24. LOL!! That's why I rarely drive! I Metro in to work daily. Cost of living does suck, though.

Reply to this post

Response to JoePhilly (Reply #1)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 01:32 PM

8. That, plus ...

and work to reduce the costs of our health-care programs

Does not equate to cuts in services or support, tinkering with age or formulations, or anything else that would weaken "entitlements" for the end-users ... No matter how many times DUers try to make that connection.

Reply to this post

Response to 1StrongBlackMan (Reply #8)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 02:07 PM

15. Agree ... the IMMINENT CUTS that Obama plans to make to SS and Medicare have been predicted

over and over and over here on DU.

But I get the sense that one needs a super-secret Obama Outrage decoder ring to read between the lines.

Reply to this post

Response to JoePhilly (Reply #15)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 02:14 PM

17. Exactly! They have absoluetely no evidence. None, whatsoever! But I realize where they get this shit

from. Mike Pappantonio, who I really like, was peddling this stuff just yesterday. Thom Hartmann. Cenk Unger (sp?) or whatever his name is. I realize that this speculation is emanating from liberal commentators, who themselves, have no evidence.

Reply to this post

Response to Liberal_Stalwart71 (Reply #17)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 02:40 PM

21. yup ... Controversy generates eyeballs. Its what keeps Social Media (including cable TV) going.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 01:28 PM

3. President Obama after the election:

President Obama's Opening Move: Raise $1.6 Trillion In New Tax Revenue From The Wealthy
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10021810643

Reality is now!

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 01:28 PM

4. He did not "just say that".

He said it well before he achieved what we now know is a mandate.

And with the rethugs now praising Simpson Bowles, etc. I am betting Obama has a very different target.

Reply to this post

Response to speedoo (Reply #4)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 01:30 PM

5. I certainly hope so.

Let's keep our voices raised to ensure that.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 01:31 PM

7. I recall hearing him say that

and that it was going to be messy. That neither side would like it very much.
But many here will swear they didn't elect him to do that. (They shouldn't have voted for him, then).
But I did hear him say it. I don't care for the grand bargain much; but I trust taxes will be raised on the wealthy, that Social Security will not be touched, and that many social programs the Republicans would like to cut will be saved. The rest we'll have to live with, at least until we don't.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 01:32 PM

9. Keep trying...nt

Sid

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 01:33 PM

10. Why is he starting with a $2.50/$1.00 ratio??? A moderate position would be $1.00/$1.00!

Reply to this post

Response to reformist2 (Reply #10)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 01:34 PM

11. Exactly. This is about AUSTERITY, not just Medicare and SS.

Deep cuts in the budget will harm millions, and it will starve the economy even further.

It is about multi-trillion-dollar slashing of budgets when hundreds of economists, and our own eyes, watching Europe, have shown us that slashing budgets is the absolute WRONG thing to do in an economy like this. It will slow the economy and harm millions.

It is the fact that the middle class has been looted and devastated. It is time to stop balancing the budget on the backs of the middle class and the poor.

Reply to this post

Response to woo me with science (Reply #11)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 01:48 PM

13. It is amazing - we now have proof that austerity doesn't work, and they're still forging ahead!

This is the extent of their greed. They'd rather have a recession than have the 1% taxed just a little bit more.

Reply to this post

Response to reformist2 (Reply #10)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 04:11 PM

27. Because ...

$1.00/$1.00 won't get us to 4 trillion in a way that will pass the house.

You know ... that reality-based thing.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 02:59 PM

23. I am totally opposed to any cut in benefits, including raising the retirement age. That is a

matter of health and even life or death to many people so there is no such thing as a bargain concerning it....unless people want to bargain with the health and welfare of vulnerable people while the rich won't feel a thing.

Hopefully this is a good sign, I just saw Debbie Wasserman Schultz on MSNBC and she said "What we don't need to do is cut benefits." She was questioned about it and reiterated it. I am so concerned about this issue that I can't be objective about it, but that was music to my ears.

Reply to this post

Response to forestpath (Reply #23)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 04:15 PM

29. Well ...

it appears that you and President Obama are on the same page.

Go tell somebody!

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 04:14 PM

28. Give it up, Woo

On DU, facts are apparently the province of Republicans-pretending-to-be-Democrats who slurp vomit off the floor, and do something with a part of Romney's anatomy that I won't repeat.

Reply to this post

Response to MannyGoldstein (Reply #28)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 04:29 PM

30. No, Manny ...

adding your unfounded/thinly sourced speculation to facts is the province of Republicans-pretending-to-be-Democrats who slurp vomit off the floor, and do something with a part of Romney's anatomy that you shouldn't repeat.

I read through all to the links Woo posted ... One was a leaked source document that lacked any evidence of a plan to cut medicare or S.S.; two links were opinion pieces interpreting (read: speculating on the effect of) that leaked source document.

Reply to this post

Response to 1StrongBlackMan (Reply #30)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 04:33 PM

31. Manny now has only 4 years and a little over 2 months of Obama as President.

Obama has a secret plan to both kill social security and to also take everyone's guns.

And the proof ... he hasn't done either one yet. That's how sneaky Obama is.

Reply to this post

Response to JoePhilly (Reply #31)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 05:14 PM

35. Obama hasn't raised taxes on teh wealthy, either.

But like cutting Social Security, he says it needs to be done.

I guess that's proof, by your standard, that he doesn't actually want to do it. Or never said it. Or some such thing.

Brilliant.

Reply to this post

Response to MannyGoldstein (Reply #35)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 05:36 PM

38. How much would like to bet that the taxes on the rich are about to go up?

I predicted Obama's plan for ending the Bush tax cuts while simultaneously keeping the tax breaks for those under 250k quite a long time ago. Shortly after he allowed the extension actually.

I explained why he kept his promise to not raise taxes for those under 250k in his first term and why he DELAYED his promise to increase them for those over 250k.

My prediction is about to come true. Worst case, at the end of this year, he can let them all expire, and the Senate Dems can pass a bill to retroactively reinstate the cuts for those under 250k.

Or ... the GOP can accept defeat on this, and work with him to pass an extension of the cuts for those under 250k now, and let the cuts for those above 250k expire at the end of the year.

Either way ... Obama keeps BOTH promises. And he doesn't really have to do anything to make it happen.

Your predictions, however, on Obama's secret plan to kill social security have been wrong, over and over.

You can not make a prediction as specific as what I laid out above about SS ... and recall that I made THAT prediction within WEEKs of when he allowed the Bush tax cuts to be extended into the lame duck period.

What you have done, repeatedly for roughly 2 or more years, is predict that a catastrophe was imminent. You have done so over and over. So many times, I've lost count. In each case your claims are necessarily ambiguous and nonspecific because you really don't have a logical theory for the events you predict. Its going to happen any second. And then nothing.

You take a statement, and then infer some nefarious end point.

My prediction on the tax cuts stands. Obama is going to let the Bush tax cuts for the rich expire, and those cuts for people under 250k will remain. Senate Dems might bump the threshold for this to as much a 1 million dollars to thwart GOP efforts to claim it hurts "small business" (if you make more than 1 million, you ain't no small business) .... but I do not see it going higher than that.

Now ... again ... my predictions are SPECIFIC ... yours ... well ... yours are the same hand wringing we've come to know and love.

I bet my prediction comes true before yours does.

Reply to this post

Response to JoePhilly (Reply #38)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 09:13 PM

39. I was just using your logic.

There's a good chance they will go up. But because they haven't they haven't, by your logic, there's no intention to do so.

Not my logic; I basically believe that people want to do what they say they want to do.

As to specifics - the only specific predictions on my part that I can recall was the prediction that Obama would call for SS cuts in the 2011 SOTU, which he did, and that he'd jump at the chance for cuts during last year's fully-fake debt ceiling crisis, which he did. So fuck you with your hand-wringing bullshit.

Cutting Social Security is not a trivial thing to do, there's huge support for it. He may never be successful, but I expect him to keep on trying. If you can find a post from me that said cuts were imminent, rather than that Obama was about to try for cuts, or that he and other Democrats want cuts, then I'll send $10 to your favorite charity. Happy hunting. If you come up empty-handed, an apology would be the civilized thing, no? I guess we'll see what you're made of.

Since your so certain that Obama won't allow the Social Security cuts that he's called for: what odds would you give me on Social Security being cut. 5:1? 10:1? That's a bet I would definitely consider.

Reply to this post

Response to MannyGoldstein (Reply #39)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 10:33 AM

47. And using it poorly.

You regularly write an OP describing what you believe is Obama's intent regarding a predicted future event. The evidence you provide regarding your assessment of Obama's intent, is weak.

You started making these claims probably within Obama's first year in office, certainly within the first 2 years.

As time has passed, and the death of SS has not occurred, you've backed off making specific predictions about how soon Obama would carry out his evil intent

That shift started back when I pointed out that on multiple occasions you predicted that Obama would "announce cuts" during a state of the union speech (didn't happen), and again that he'd include such cuts in his budget (didn't happen then either).

These days you stick to innuendo because you can't make an accurate prediction. And you know you can't.

You used to say Obama was going to kill or gut SS, these days you stick with the softer and more nebulous term "cuts".

I'd like to see you drop the innuendos and make a SPECIFIC prediction. That prediction should include and AMOUNT and a TIME FRAME in which Obama will get these cuts you are so sure will happen.

Absent this, you should admit that the evil intent you ascribed to Obama THROUGHOUT his first term never came to fruition during that first term.

So come on, when will it happen, and how big will these cuts be? Be specific ... then we can talk about the odds.

At this point, you're batting .000

Reply to this post

Response to MannyGoldstein (Reply #34)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 05:17 PM

36. Conyers? Oh please.

You have the gall to quote Conyers?

What credibility does he have? Isn't he that guy who said, "Obama Demanded Social Security Cuts--Not GOP"?

Reply to this post

Response to cthulu2016 (Reply #36)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 05:33 PM

37. No don't denigrate Conyers ...

rather just remind Manny what President Obama has actually said ... http://www.whitehouse.gov/issues/seniors-and-social-security

Also, inform him what Reid is saying ... http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/inside-politics/2012/nov/14/reid-takes-social-security-off-table/

I hear it's hard to think when one's hair is on hair.

Reply to this post

Response to 1StrongBlackMan (Reply #37)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 09:18 PM

40. And here's the White House explaining Obama's cut-vs-slash parsing

It was hilarious!

Briefing room word games: What's a 'slash' versus a 'cut' in Social Security?

So, a reporter asked, what does “slash” mean?

“Haven’t you got, like, a dictionary app on your iPhone?” Carney replied.

Q: Well, it’s a word that you use instead of “cut.”

Carney: “Slash” is, I think, quite clear. It’s slash. It’s like that. (Carney makes a slashing motion with his hand.) It’s a significant whack.

Q: So it means a significant …

Carney: I’m not going to put a numerical figure on it.

Q: So it means a significant cut.

Carney: I think slashing is a pretty sharp, direct …

Q: It’s not the same thing as cutting – the point is, it’s not the same thing as “cut.”

Carney: It’s slash. (Laughter.) And I don’t mean the guitarist. (Laughter.)

Q: A pledge to not slash benefits is not the same thing as a pledge to not cut benefits.

Carney: I’m not – again, we’re talking about a policy enunciated by the president back in January, and that is …

Q: This is a diction you guys have chosen.

Carney: No, no, I get that, and we did choose it, and the president used it. But I’m not here to negotiate the semantics …

Q: Just so everybody understands – just so everybody understands, when you say “slash,” you don’t mean “cut.”

Carney: We have said that to address the long-term solvency of the problem – of the program, because this is not an issue that drives short- or medium-term deficits, that we would look – the president is interested in looking at ways to strengthen the program and enhance its long-term solvency that protects the integrity of the program and doesn’t slash benefits.

Q: Which is not the same thing as not cutting benefits.

Opponents of change to Social Security don’t seem reassured.

“At a time when retirement security remains an elusive goal for most Americans, cuts to Social Security benefits – in whatever form they take – should not be on the table,” AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka said in a statement late Thursday afternoon.

Reply to this post

Response to MannyGoldstein (Reply #40)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 10:26 PM

41. You're reaching ...

And let the record reflect that you defer to a semantic argument, to "prove" your point; as opposed to the sole source document that was referenced as evidence that President Oama was planning to cut S.S. and Medicare. That's some weak trollish B.S., where speculation trumps the fact that you're supposedly presenting.

President Obama has said he will not allow S.S. benefits be cut. I trust him, far more than I do you. Period. End of discussion.

Reply to this post

Response to 1StrongBlackMan (Reply #41)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 10:57 PM

42. Sorry, it's the White House that's playing semantic games

Blaming me for noticing it seems... unusual.

In any case, I guess we'll see if he asks for cuts again.

Reply to this post

Response to MannyGoldstein (Reply #42)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 10:34 AM

48. Yes we will ...

and, as usual, when he doesn't ... you will move to your next hair on fire (rw) President Obama's gonna destroy the safety net narrative.

BTW, please ... let's go back to the leaked memo that was supposed to SHOW, as proof positive, that President Obama was out to destroy the safety net.

Oh, wait ... it said nothing to that effect. So you choose to refer to Carney's semantics ...

Reply to this post

Response to MannyGoldstein (Reply #28)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 11:12 PM

43. I keep forgetting that!

Must be PTSD from the imagery.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 04:35 PM

32. Listen to press conference- Forget that promise

Not going to happen. That was election . Elections changed things dramatically and Obama knowws he has support.

I believe in Obama now.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 04:41 PM

33. Sounds like someone has been slurping some vomit off the floor

And no amount of "news" and "history" and "facts" will unslurp it.

Your facts are nothing in the face of my name-calling ability.

And let us no forget my ability to project my own motives onto you—your support for entitlement benefits shows you to be a RW troll.

No real Democrat supports entitlement benefits.

The only possible reason anyone would prefer to get healthcare coverage at 65 , rather than at 67, is that they hate Obama.

I was lecturing some older woman just the other day... she said she couldn't wait to get on Medicare and I told her she might as well join the Klan.

We don't need her kind... thinking only of herself. HER health. Detectable cancers SHE might have. HER blood pressure... blah, blah, blah.

You know the type.

Reply to this post

Response to cthulu2016 (Reply #33)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 11:14 PM

44. Bwah!

I keep having this identity crisis. Does it mean I am a right winger, because I want to EAT????????!!!!!!

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 11:13 AM

50. LOL n/t

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 11:19 AM

52. LOL

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 11:27 PM

45. Obama was pandering to moderate and undecided voters

Showing that he is was open to compromise while the Republicans were not.

Romney did the same thing at the end of the campaign by insisting that he will work with Democrats. Do you believe that he will really do that?

Politicians bullshit especially during campaigns. That is how the game is played and don't take everything they say at face value.

Reply to this post

Response to gravity (Reply #45)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 11:11 AM

49. Pandering for votes by saying he would make cuts in SS & Medicare?

How can that be when a large majority of the country doesn't want their SS, Medicare, and Medicaid benefits cut? It doesn't even make sense when Obama claims he has to compromise by making these cuts. The chart below was created during Obama's Grand Bargain negotiations last year. If he came out and said SS, Medicare & Medicaid benefits will not be cut, he will have support of a large majority of Moderates, Republicans & Democrats. Why won't he do that?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/07/pew-research-americans-fa_n_892445.html

Reply to this post

Response to gravity (Reply #45)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 11:18 AM

51. When the GOP offers Medicare For All, will it be pandering? n/t

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 12:15 AM

46. I am fine with Obama saying that for winning elections

Look at the crap Romney has been feeding.

Repugs..Sorry, terms have changed....

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 01:13 AM

53. Obama proposed a raise in the Medicare age, along with other devastating cuts to Medicaid and SS,

including a chained CPI, to the tune of over 600 BILLION dollars.

After months of hearing outrageous, ludicrous, brazen denials from our familiar group of corporate Dems around here (we all know who they are), denying the existence of this offer that was widely described in the press and confirmed even by Democrats, the actual proposal has finally been released.

It is a pathetic comment on the constant pollution of this board with right-wing apologism to the point of utter misrepresentation of reality that anyone even feels the need to ask the question that you just asked.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/1251246367
http://presspass.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/11/15089281-white-house-grand-bargain-offer-to-speaker-boehner-obtained-by-bob-woodward

Reply to this post

Response to woo me with science (Reply #53)

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 08:27 PM

55. Kick

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread