HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » So we squeaked by as a re...

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 11:24 AM

So we squeaked by as a red state, but NC will slowly turn blue for good. One LTE at a time.

Read this smart, heart-warming, compassionate letter to the editor published in my Winston-Salem Journal this morning.
You will like it.

Post-election haze

Republicans aren’t really such sore losers. But the election is fresh and they’ll need a little time to calm down and realize that the sky hasn’t fallen on them. When that happens, I’m sure they’ll understand that:

Nobody sees President Obama as a “savior.”
Nobody thinks they’re not going to have to work hard anymore.
Nobody thinks they’re going to get a bunch of “free stuff.”

These are all exaggerated clichés that baffle liberals who hear them. We can’t imagine who they’re talking about.
The truth is that we admire a good leader, just like they do; we want a just reward for our hard work, just like they do; and we don’t think families should be thrown out into the streets because of a medical bill, just like — well, I’m not sure how they feel about that anymore. But they have to say something to make themselves feel better. Even if it makes their fellow hard-working Americans, neighbors and relatives sound like a bunch of moochers.

Of course, losing hurts. I felt the same way after those two elections we lost to George W. Bush. We survived Bush; they’ll survive Obama.
Still, I can promise my conservative friends this: Every good thing we receive as a result of President Obama’s leadership, we’ll share with you.
We didn’t vote so we could “take America back” — we voted so that we could share it.

TOMMY H. SIMMONS

source:
http://www.journalnow.com/opinion/letters_to_the_editor/article_a4f5b23e-2dea-11e2-906d-0019bb30f31a.html

3 replies, 585 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply So we squeaked by as a red state, but NC will slowly turn blue for good. One LTE at a time. (Original post)
Mira Nov 2012 OP
barbtries Nov 2012 #1
Mira Nov 2012 #2
barbtries Nov 2012 #3

Response to Mira (Original post)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 11:30 AM

1. that was great.

scroll down to the letter after the next and this is what you get:

R.I.P.

Death notice of the United States of America. Born: 4 July 1776. Died: 6 November 2012.

Rest in peace.

HAROLD J. SCHAFFER

Pfafftown

two steps forward, one step back...

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to barbtries (Reply #1)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 12:03 PM

2. OH yes, I saw it. That's what we fight every day. After all

Virginia Foxx is our congress critter in this town.
The bright spots are letters like the one I posted, and they are on the increase.

Reply to this post

Response to Mira (Reply #2)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 01:19 PM

3. here in the triangle

i stopped reading the comments at WRAL because they would be so racist and wingnutty - but the last time (can't recall the specific issue) i read the comments that seemed to have dropped off.
i'm still bruised by that half of the election. i had such high hopes for NC!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread