HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Goddammit
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 10:23 AM

Goddammit

I'm hearing way too much end zone spiking and talk of forever majorities. Just 24 months ago, we took an ass beating and I remember being really depressed and thinking that the teapublicans were scary monsters that were here to stay and that the progressive movement was in disarray. We lost Alan Greyson and were givin Alan West, Rand Paul, and Joe Walsh.

If the smugness of the republicans hadn't revealed itself to be the anti-women, anti-immigrant, anti-middle class, anti-GLBT, anti-social program, anti-auto industry, anti-environment, pro-corporate party to the extreme, this would have been a much closer election. And they had no reason to reveal themselves so blatantly. The republican voters had no where else to go. But they became cartoon characters for reasons I'll never understand.

If we think that because we just won a landslide election, and we did, that everything is sunny, we set ourselves up because it's very likely that the crazy party will adjust and become competitive in 2014. We need another great election victory in 2014, so this congress needs to accomplish good legislation. But I still smell obstruction, and the corporate party continues to be well armed with lobbyists and subsidies and greed - all powerful forces.

Yeah, I'm a real downer at parities too. But I'm dreaming of a Supreme Court Majority, and a Hilary Presidency. And that means the fight continues. O.K., I'm done. Love you guys.

3 replies, 454 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Goddammit (Original post)
salinen Nov 2012 OP
Dawgs Nov 2012 #1
salinen Nov 2012 #2
Still Sensible Nov 2012 #3

Response to salinen (Original post)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 10:31 AM

1. Nice post, but I disagree that we did win in a landslide.

51 to 48 is a really close victory. We should be concerned that we didn't win by much more. Losing the House in a year like this should be a wake up call to everyone on the left.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Dawgs (Reply #1)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 10:50 AM

2. Good points

Progressivism is a much higher hill to climb because it is a true people's movement as opposed to a corporate movement, which has plenty of influence and money.

I hope in 2014 we win back the house, have a super majority in the senate, and use that power to finally kill Citizens United, get Universal coverage, and seriously reduce the M.I.C.

Reply to this post

Response to salinen (Original post)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 11:50 AM

3. If Obama were white, it probably would have

been more like 56-43. Obviously that's just speculation on my part, but I suspect that racism cost at least five more points (not to mention the driver behind the blind, irrational hatred toward the president since day one).

If he were white, I believe you could add North Carolina to his electoral total--probably wouldn't have flipped any others, but states like Arizona, Indiana and Missouri would certainly have been much closer.

In any event, 332-206 is an electoral college landslide.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread