HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Cable Television -- Great...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 08:56 AM

Cable Television -- Great Promise To Great Wasteland --- Why Buy It.

I have not had cable television for over 20 years. I quit buying it when it became too expensive and too dictatorial.

Cable television was touted in its early days when it claimed it was the answer to regular television with few or no commercials and would deliver a superior product. The first thing cable did was try to saddle you with boxes that cost you every month. Then they wanted extra money for extras televisions. Then they wanted to stop you from recording or time shifting anything because their devices obsoleted your VCR's.

Early on even though there were fewer channels they delivered some really good programming on channels like Discover and the Weather Channel really talked about the weather in a meaningful way and gave good local forecasts.

Today we have many more channels of crap. Almost all of it is dumbed down garbage loaded with over 30% of commercials. In off hours there are numerous repeats and endless half hour long pitches (infomercials) for every product on the planet that most people do not need. Even in prime time the same program will be repeated six or seven times in a day.

The History channel is loaded with "bubbaized" programs like pawnshop programs. I see little history. On channels like
Discover there is little of value to discover. Based on the cost the cable channels put very little into new programming based on revenue. Yes there are some new series on premium channels but they are few compared to the hours available.

As far as the news channels go, except for some MSNBC content they are mostly useless prattle as they try to copy the sick and twisted FUX News. And the cable news info channels have pretty much ruined the regular channels with their influence.

So what do you get for your money. Endless commercials on most channels, repeats upon repeats, prattle and garbage. And more and more "Bubba" mentality programming. And all the ignorant sports talk that you could care less about. And you can get all the mindless sports than you can handle.

Meanwhile we slip into an abyss of ignorance. To add insult to it all you get to have a TIVO as so much a month for the honor of time shifting your own programs. You might get some decent programming if you can afford to fork out over $200 a month for the highest package.

What a nation of chumps we are to be so maneuvered and manipulated when WE own the airwaves.

13 replies, 1288 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to TheMastersNemesis (Original post)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 08:58 AM

1. outdoor antena

and a roku box all free and more tv then I could manage to watch. Roku also allows me to tune into any radio station. Heck it even allowed me to stream the last Des Moines rally to my TV

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Livluvgrow (Reply #1)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 09:03 AM

3. I Pick Up My TV Over The Air

All I have is an antenna with more TV to watch than I have time for. What is most insulting is the cable companies telling you you get digital free for signing up with them or that they have HDTV channels for you when you sign up when you can already get it. All the over air channels are HD.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 09:01 AM

2. oops

wrong thread..

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 09:06 AM

4. actually there is a golden age of television going on - almost all of it on cable channels.

it started with original programming on hbo and showtime and has cascaded into a cornucopia of original and amazingly good dramatic and comedic series on the 'small' cable channels and on the 'big' premium cable channels.

Sopranos, Rome, DeadWood, the L Word, Game of Thrones, Damages, Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Dexter, Six Feet Under ....

There is tons of crap too, and much of the good content is on netflix, but seriously nothing on? Really?

Reply to this post

Response to Warren Stupidity (Reply #4)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 09:34 AM

6. Never saw any of those great programs cause I am not paying for premium channels. Cable is

a vast wasteland. Like the op said the history channel is Pawn Stars 24/7. You have stupid shows hunting big foot. They were even in eastern Ohio
looking for something they called grassman. Looking for bigfoot in a state park that has hunters going over every square foot deer hunting, give me a
break the only grassman in Ohio is smoking a joint. The only reason I keep cable is for MSNBC, Encore Westerns and acouple others.
l

Reply to this post

Response to doc03 (Reply #6)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 09:38 AM

7. er - lots of those shows are on the small cable channels - the free ones.

HBO and Showtime got the ball rolling but the free channels are all in play. As I said, there is tons of crap on too, obviously, but there is just an unbelievable amount of seriously good stuff on too, you just have to know where it is and when it is on. DVR is helpful.

Reply to this post

Response to Warren Stupidity (Reply #7)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 09:56 AM

8. You have to pay out your ass for those (free) ones. Then pay even more to get something

fit to watch. When we had the 3 networks years ago the programing was far superior to anything today and it wasfree.

Reply to this post

Response to doc03 (Reply #8)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 10:59 AM

12. "When we had the 3 networks years ago the programing was far superior"

well really no it was horrible and you had a choice of three horrible shows at any point in time. The few shows that were not routinely horrible were the exception.

You do not have to pay your ass off for the non-premium channels. You do have to pay, but that is what cable is - paid content. Your original objection to my assertion that there is a huge amount of really good programming on right now was that it was all on HBO and Showtime. When I pointed out that it wasn't, you shifted to "but it isn't free", fair enough, but you cannot seriously argue that the crap the networks produced from 1950 - 1999 or so was "superior".

Reply to this post

Response to Warren Stupidity (Reply #12)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 04:56 PM

13. Outside of the Sapranos I never heard of any of those shows and I have seen Sapranos

reruns on one of the so called free channels and wasn't impressed with it. Maybe its an age thing but I think the shows we had on the networks were much better than anything I get on cable. As far as TV and movies for that matter it is 95% garbage today. Once in a great while I go see a movie in the theater and usally I am disappointed. Today instead of a plot it's mindless special effects. If I watch TV I usally watch news or old shows from the network days or older movies.
Oh I get like200 f-----g channels and I sure can't find all that great programing you speak of.

Reply to this post

Response to Warren Stupidity (Reply #4)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 10:02 AM

9. I agree -- there is a lot of good TV these days

There is a lot of crap, too, because the number of channels has exploded in the last twenty years. But there is a ton of good stuff. I get why some people aren't interested, and I could certainly live without it if I had to, but I think my cable is worth it.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 09:16 AM

5. Cable doesn't use the public airwaves. (nt)

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 10:03 AM

10. When we got our LCD HDTV (just 26"), I hooked

up a cheap rabbit ears type antenna to it and did a channel search. It found 44 channels in the Minneapolis St. Paul area. I did it so we'd have TV if the cable went out, but with four channels from Public Television, I'm going to start watching the listings to see if there's something that's not on the cable.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 10:50 AM

11. As the Pink Floyd lyric from "The Wall" says, "I got 13 channels of shit on the TV to choose from."

Now it's 500 or more, but it's still shit.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread