HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » You Did Not Vote For A &q...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 06:29 AM

You Did Not Vote For A "Grand Bargin" And You will Not Get One

thats what attendees of the liberal meeting with the president said http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/13/obama-bush-tax-cuts_n_2124324.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003
seems they could tell that he is willing to go over the cliff if the republicans dont cave.

but at the same time i read the transcript from the presidents call with 30,000 campaign volunteers across the country and it says
"Obama warned that he was prepared to swallow some bitter pills during the negotiations, including some that would agitate the base."

i cant think of anything besides messing with social security and medicare that will agitate the base to be honest
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/13/obama-activist-base-fiscal-cliff_n_2127100.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009

so for now i'm cautiously optimistic , but holding my breath for the worst .

6 replies, 575 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply You Did Not Vote For A "Grand Bargin" And You will Not Get One (Original post)
outsideworld Nov 2012 OP
JustAnotherGen Nov 2012 #1
Scuba Nov 2012 #2
leveymg Nov 2012 #3
beachbumbob Nov 2012 #4
HereSince1628 Nov 2012 #5
JustAnotherGen Nov 2012 #6

Response to outsideworld (Original post)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 06:42 AM

1. A bitter pill

Could also be letting the Unemployment Benefits (Federal) run out on January 1st. It was one of the reasons people had anxiety the last time we had to deal with a Boehner temper.

I will swallow any pill with the President that ends Bush's tax cuts for the rich. If he allows them to stand - they become HIS tax cuts For the rich. They become the Democratic party's. No more! Done!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to JustAnotherGen (Reply #1)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 06:56 AM

2. +1

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 07:25 AM

3. "Bitter pill" is just a euphemism for poison. Keep up the pressure, folks.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 07:47 AM

4. the american people voted to get the deficit under control

and spending cuts and tax increases must happen...everything must be on the table and its foolish not to think so. I am approaching retirement age (in a few more years) and I understand changes must happen on all entitlement programs. Why can't there be a means testing for SS and Medicare benefits? Why can't the upper income limit of SS taxes be raised? tax loopholes must be closed/reduced. Business must pay a fair effective tax rate. Individuals can't hide income offshore or in designed tax shelters. Why can't we take a fair and balance approach to reduce spending, increase revenue? Ideologues must step aside on the right and on the left.....

Reply to this post

Response to beachbumbob (Reply #4)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 07:58 AM

5. Spending cuts to things that don't contribute to the debt are ideological, I won't support that

even if Obama and the DC dems agree to it.

Reply to this post

Response to beachbumbob (Reply #4)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 09:21 AM

6. Yes to

Raising the upper income limits of SS taxes. I stopped paying into SS in June.

No - absolutely NOT to means testing. It will turn SS in a 'welfare' program. It's got to be all for one and one for all.

And how do you tell my mother at 65 (turning 65 on Sunday) - whose parents died in their early 50's - who has been working since she was 16 . . . you get NOTHING?

She's paid for someone else's parent's for the past 30 years. Now I expect the people she paid for - their grandchildren to pony up and not be deadbeats.

That was NOT the social contract she engaged in all of these years. She paid into it in good faith - she shouldn't be penalized for opening doors for women, dealing with rampant sexism and low expectations as a female Exec VP of a company in the late 1980's and onward. Women live longer than men and its a slap in the face to those baby boomer women that cracked that glass ceiling. . .

They might have been 'high earners' - but they did not THEN - and do not NOW make as much money as her/my male counterparts.

No. No. No. to means testing - because it is mean.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread