HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » "entitlements"?...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 03:13 PM

"entitlements"? - stupid dems parroting republican propaganda even though they won.

SS & medicare are not entitlements.

they are earned benefits.

People have spent their entire working careers paying into various funding mechanisms to provide SS and medicare, either through general taxes or specifically targeted payroll deductions. Yet here are the stupid dems acting and talking like the worst of the republicans by using the same republican negative framing.

negotiating using the enemy's talking points is useless. Better to wait til January 1 and set up entirely new framework using correct language

15 replies, 1265 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to msongs (Original post)

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 03:15 PM

1. Agreed. I get really upset when I hear Democrats refer to our earned benefits as "entitlements".

What the hell is wrong with them? Don't they know that the word, entitlements, denotes a sense of privilege rather than what people, after working all their lives and paying taxes, have earned?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 03:16 PM

2. Technically

that is the word for it. The Republicans have turned it into a bad word. We should not let them do that.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 03:18 PM

3. Entitlement implies ownership.

Entitled = granted title.

You are entitled to Social Security and Medicare because you paid into the system during your working life.

TANF and Food Stamps, by contrast, are not entitlements.

We are allowing the Republicans to twist the meaning of a good word, just like we did with the word "liberal".

Reply to this post

Response to dawg (Reply #3)

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 03:27 PM

7. Good point - What we heard at work was that we "feel entitled" meaning

the employees really aren't entitled but we feel like we "should be" entitled.

They have twisted quite a few things in the past

Especially that deranged shit who wrote "Who Moved the Cheese"
Management jumped on that one like flies on shit!

They all have this mental afliction to make everything serve their own purposes.

They truely need help!

Reply to this post

Response to socialindependocrat (Reply #7)

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 03:32 PM

9. I have the book "Who Cut the Cheese?"

I find it much more useful in managing my business.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 03:23 PM

4. Sure they are....

Just because the rethugs want to give the word a negative connotation doesn't mean it has one. Dems should say Americans are ENTITLED to Social Security and Medicare....they have worked hard to provide it for preceding generations ....

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 03:24 PM

5. We

are entitled to what we paid into the system. It is a contract. They want to violate the contract and I say no. They need to go somewhere else to pay for their Indiscretions and bad decisions. Two Wars and big tax cuts for corporations, which includes Big taxcuts for the rich. My suggestion is they start there and keep their slimy hands away from from my benefits. Congress claims we created the Debt. I beg to differ. You created the Debt, solve it. Take away your luxuries and toys. One example is they can't keep promising to defend every country in the world. Just tell them we can't afford it. As far as I'm concerned, Iraq owe us some money and so does Afghanistan.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 03:24 PM

6. might want to crack a dictionary on that. although i am not surprised you don't know what the word

means.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 03:30 PM

8. Here is an article featuring Bill Black who explains "Third Way"

and how that Group tries billing itself as a "Think Tank."

But "Third Way" is merely a way for Pete Peterson sycophants to try and topple Social Security and other "entitlements."

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2012/11/bill-black-wall-street-uses-the-third-way-to-lead-its-assault-on-social-security.html

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 03:33 PM

10. See treestar and dawg. You are incorrect

I know you are awfully anxious to slam Democrats, but you are way off base on this.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 03:34 PM

11. which 'stupid dems'?

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 03:34 PM

12. Connotation trumps denotation every day.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 03:49 PM

13. Why do people find it so hard to refer to these "earned benefits" programs by their proper name?

We must try harder on our side, to not adopt the right wing narrative by using their words to define something good that people have worked for most of their lives to earn, as something ugly....as if it's just something people are "taking from someone else" or are getting "stuff" for "free" from the government.

This is the Frank Luntz game of using words to make people believe something that isn't true.

I agree msongs, these are "earned benefits," and I can't understand why people can't get that into their heads. Every time I hear someone say entitlements, I jump right in and say....."no, they are earned benefits, we have paid for these things out of our paychecks all the years we have worked......and yes, since we paid for them and earned them, then we are "entitled to receive what we have paid for (at some future date), without being made to feel like we are stealing or taking something from someone having done nothing to earn it."

EARNED BENEFITS, we should all say it loud and clear and interrupt those immediately, when they use the word entitlements.........the narrative should be ours and is ours if we speak out and take it back from those who would distort it. These Republicans, especially after this last election, should never be able to control the narrative on our side, especially since most of them are either insane, delusional and out of touch with an American majority moving forward, while they long for a time that never really was, and in reality, if we control the narrative and work against their lies and dirty tricks, a reality that will never be.
Lou

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 04:01 PM

14. lets keep letting them transform good words into bad, and then call us stupid too.

An entitlement is something you earned, something you own, something that is yours by right or legislation.

We are all entitled to social security and medicare because we paid into the system.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 04:37 PM

15. Democrats need to improve their framing, more generally eom

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread